finally ditching my scsi...

fugu

[H]F Junkie
I've been using an 18 gig Cheetah x15 36LP on a Tekram U2W controler as my OS drive for the past 5 years, but it's definitely showing its age these days. This past upgrade I figured it was time to upgrade to a Raptor (74GB, not the new one), since it seems like IDE/SATA drives have either caught up to or surpassed most SCSI drives for desktop usage. The other option was to pick up the Fujitsu 15K drive and a new controler, but that was a bit more money than I wanted to spend =b

Anyway, I'm a little sad that I'm getting rid of my SCSI (definitely added to the "hardcore" factor of the computer) but I guess it's time to move on =p

Why not move onto new scsi? Sure the raptor and what not have surpassed *old* scsi drives, but they can't hold a candle to new ones.

Haha, my guess would be the cost...

I proselytize SCSI more than anyone else I know and work with it all the time... But I don't have a single SCSI device or controller in my home computer, simply due to the expense (I can get controllers for really cheap, but the drives are another story)

The cost of new SCSI hardware (GB for GB) compared to SATA is extremely cost-prohibitive.

I was in your boat, except my Cheetah 15k.3 outright up and died one day. I won't be going back unless I can find another smoking deal on a new disk.

Ender17 was/is selling his MAU for cheap though.

defakto said:
Why not move onto new scsi? Sure the raptor and what not have surpassed *old* scsi drives, but they can't hold a candle to new ones.

Price, mostly =b For optimal performance I'd probably have to buy a new controler and a new disk, and I figured the money would be better spend on a dual core chip and more memory.

Indeed. A WD1500ADFD, for $300, delivers better application level performance (although it splits the game tests with the MAU), than $800 SCSI drives, with simplified connectivity, etc.

Fugu, if you get a Raptor, you'll be amazed at how snappy it is, also the money you saved will make your system even snappier with a dual core CPU and 2GB of RAM, like you say :cool:

Well crap, had all my new stuff set up (3800+, 2GB crucial), powered on, machine died, and I smelled burning electronics =b Sniffed around and I think the smell was coming from the power regulartors on the board. Tried a new PSU and still no go so I think the mainboard is toast... Guess I won't get to try out the Raptor for another week or so until I get the board back from RMA.

fugu said:
Well crap, had all my new stuff set up (3800+, 2GB crucial), powered on, machine died, and I smelled burning electronics =b Sniffed around and I think the smell was coming from the power regulartors on the board. Tried a new PSU and still no go so I think the mainboard is toast... Guess I won't get to try out the Raptor for another week or so until I get the board back from RMA.
oh crap.. i hate it when stuff like that happens :(

UICompE02 said:
I proselytize SCSI more than anyone else I know and work with it all the time... But I don't have a single SCSI device or controller in my home computer, simply due to the expense (I can get controllers for really cheap, but the drives are another story)
Gah! Heresy! :)
I run SCSI RAID1 in all of the important machines at my house (8 of 11). U160 RAID Cards are cheap and the drives aren't terribly expensive!
Atlas 10K III's and Cheetah x15's for the servers, Atlas 15k II's for the 'gaming' machine.
Lol, quitters :p

ambit said:
Gah! Heresy! :)
I run SCSI RAID1 in all of the important machines at my house (8 of 11). U160 RAID Cards are cheap and the drives aren't terribly expensive!
Atlas 10K III's and Cheetah x15's for the servers, Atlas 15k II's for the 'gaming' machine.
Lol, quitters :p

Haha, well, honestly I have a chassis full of Ultra II SCSI drive sitting out in my garage that I salvaged from the junk pile at work... But it's too much hassle to get them working since they're each only 9.1GB

However, once SAS drives are a little more available, I'm going to see if I can get a nice SAS single-chip RAID controller from work (LSI SAS1078.. drool!) and pop some SAS and SATA drives on it :D

9GB drives aren't worth the current they draw in my judgment. Of course, I'm a capacity whore first and formemost.

Got everything up and running. The new Raptor is pretty good, can't really tell much of a difference between it and the old Cheetah.

I left my 15k 36LP recently too (although I had an Ultra160 controller) and went to one of the new 400GB drives that's supposedly blazing fast. My most played PC game, WoW, is less smooth on zone/room transitions where hard drive access is intensive unfortunately and I wish I didn't need the massive space, otherwise I'd have gone for one of the new Raptors.

I really like the simplicity though with less crap, heat, and noise in my case.

Back