Final Fantasy XVI

You in performance or graphics mode. I've been on graphics mode and HDR looks amazing on OLED no crashes. The blurring when panning is stupid though

Doesn't matter which mode I pick. Just crashes every single time. I'm not the only one either. Seems like the only solution is to buy a new PS5.

crashing.png

I'm actually starting to really dislike this game. Some of the worst writing I've had too endure in awhile. Who thought putting only white people in a game where a "branding" that turns you into a slave that could easily be covered up by facial hair.... makes anything more than 0 sense.

Music is very disappointing as well for an ff game. But I guess that's sorta been the trend since the high that was 6

Last edited:
Doesn't matter which mode I pick. Just crashes every single time. I'm not the only one either. Seems like the only solution is to buy a new PS5.

View attachment 579164

Long/short: It's probably not your PS5. Don't make a hasty decision. Test your other games to prove it to yourself. Tech and performance issues are well documented with this game.

I'm actually starting to really dislike this game. Some of the worst writing I've had too endure in awhile. Who thought putting only white people in a game where a "branding" that turns you into a slave that could easily be covered up by facial hair.... makes anything more than 0 sense.

Music is very disappointing as well for an ff game. But I guess that's sorta been the trend since the high that was 6
Not sure why people are getting there panties in a bunch over this subject. Its kind of implied in the title...Final FANTASY...let the creators put out the game they want to put out, its not a documentary....

I'm not too sure I understand that sentence. As for magic and slavery, it is a fantasy game. Of course that doesn't excuse bad writing. I just am just confused what the complaint is about.

I have enjoyed every Final Fantasy game from 1 to 15, although I do prefer the single player experiences. I am like 3 or 4 hours into 16 and found the music to be fitting for every scenario, the story so far is intense, uncovering different moves that end up with wicked chain animations has been my new favorite part. I love turn based games, I also love my hack n slash DMC is one of my favorite franchises. Mixing them both has been a total treat so far. If I want turnbased I will play Octopath Traveler, or FF 1-10 and 13. This has been a sweet transition, I am very glad 15, and FF7 remake/Crisis Core has warmed me up to this fun experience so far found in FF 16!

I did reluctantly preorder this game with fears it would be a trainwreck like FF15 was before they rehashed it and had a secondary release. I am pleased by the experience; I rate it with a 9 so far. It would be 9.5 if it would be possible to skip to next captions with all scenes and conversations. I do not like being able to skip to next captions on some conversations and can't without skipping whole cut scene.

Yep this game plays differently but it isn't really a new style based on some of the later Final Fantasy games other than people just like to complain.

I'm not too sure I understand that sentence. As for magic and slavery, it is a fantasy game. Of course that doesn't excuse bad writing. I just am just confused what the complaint is about.
I'll try to explain more. The lack of diversity at first was not something that bothered me in the slightest because it was supposed to be set in a medieval western Europe setting. However, after having gone through much of the story, and every plot point is basically the same: the blight is making muh crops bad and we're nobles that do what we want so do it.... it's so insanely shallow that what I am saying is you might as well have thrown in randomly colored people because this shit all makes about 0 sense anyways. But hey they threw in some ancient aliens to make it seem a bit less drab mkay?? What is especially stupid from a "racial" perspective is that almost all white males can choose to grow a fairly reasonable neck and cheek beard and yet none of "the branded" choose to do this to cover up their brand. Instead the more "daring" ones turn it into a scar that's actually more fucking noticeable than the original - AND NOW they can't grow hair over it- fkn genius!!!. I have to somehow suspend my disbelief 1000x harder when running around in FF16 (around is a strong word here because it's the most linear ff game to date even more than ff1) than when running into random black people (and elves) in the Witcher.

I have enjoyed every Final Fantasy game from 1 to 15, although I do prefer the single player experiences. I am like 3 or 4 hours into 16 and found the music to be fitting for every scenario, the story so far is intense, uncovering different moves that end up with wicked chain animations has been my new favorite part. I love turn based games, I also love my hack n slash DMC is one of my favorite franchises. Mixing them both has been a total treat so far. If I want turnbased I will play Octopath Traveler, or FF 1-10 and 13. This has been a sweet transition, I am very glad 15, and FF7 remake/Crisis Core has warmed me up to this fun experience so far found in FF 16!

I did reluctantly preorder this game with fears it would be a trainwreck like FF15 was before they rehashed it and had a secondary release. I am pleased by the experience; I rate it with a 9 so far. It would be 9.5 if it would be possible to skip to next captions with all scenes and conversations. I do not like being able to skip to next captions on some conversations and can't without skipping whole cut scene.

Yep this game plays differently but it isn't really a new style based on some of the later Final Fantasy games other than people just like to complain.
The combat is the same as previous games outside of boss fights (which are admittedly good) at I guess the 1/3 point into the game? Because you just enter a battle fire off an aoe move on. But hey in 16 unlike in 6 and 7 you can throw in a few sword swipes in real time... Lmao

How do you think slavery worked in all black, white, Korean, Japanese, etc... part of the world ? A roman could walk by a slave in the city without knowing he was one.

Japanese slavery could have been different from what modern westerner have in mind.

I'll try to explain more. The lack of diversity at first was not something that bothered me in the slightest because it was supposed to be set in a medieval western Europe setting. However, after having gone through much of the story, and every plot point is basically the same: the blight is making muh crops bad and we're nobles that do what we want so do it.... it's so insanely shallow that what I am saying is you might as well have thrown in randomly colored people because this shit all makes about 0 sense anyways. But hey they threw in some ancient aliens to make it seem a bit less drab mkay?? What is especially stupid from a "racial" perspective is that almost all white males can choose to grow a fairly reasonable neck and cheek beard and yet none of "the branded" choose to do this to cover up their brand. Instead the more "daring" ones turn it into a scar that's actually more fucking noticeable than the original - AND NOW they can't grow hair over it- fkn genius!!!. I have to somehow suspend my disbelief 1000x harder when running around in FF16 (around is a strong word here because it's the most linear ff game to date even more than ff1) than when running into random black people (and elves) in the Witcher.
Thanks for the rant now please move on.

How do you think slavery worked in all black, white, Korean, Japanese, etc... part of the world ? A roman could walk by a slave in the city without knowing he was one.

Japanese slavery could have been different from what modern westerner have in mind.
Romans branded the forehead where hair doesn't grow. You know using common sense and all. Yes depending on time and place it was not always used and we could go on a 30 page delve into ancient slavery but when circumstances dictated it they wrote FUR on the forehead. And you are moving the argument to slavery society in general - from the perspective of individual slaves who are trying to run away and speak the same language with the same exact accent, have access to the same clothes, ..... but conveniently forget how to grow facial hair and put a scar on their face instead- well I'm sorry but it's fucking painfully stupid to me.

The combat is the same as previous games outside of boss fights (which are admittedly good) at I guess the 1/3 point into the game? Because you just enter a battle fire off an aoe move on. But hey in 16 unlike in 6 and 7 you can throw in a few sword swipes in real time... Lmao
Did you play the game knowing this? If so, then your rant makes zero sense.

Did you play the game knowing this? If so, then your rant makes zero sense.
I was replying to the guy who said he preferred turn based - letting him know the game becomes turn based 1/3 of the way through outside of the boss and mini boss fights. And even the minibosses are turn based once you get judgement bolt. As far as personally I'm here just for the hdr and graphics at this point.

After getting it installed, can say it works fine. Fine being subjective. The game is a blurry mess if I try to look around while walking. I can pan it slowly when standing still, but for the life of me I lose all sense of being able to get my bearings the moment I look around while walking. I can flick around a screen in destiny 2 and catch a few frames at 240hz of a target I want to go after in the middle of shooting ads near me so getting used to having to stand still to get my bearings is an adjustment. Combat is like 50% DMC. I can see where it wants to do DMC style, but the RPG tugs on the game like a noose and ultimately the combat is worse for it. I end up having like 1 eikon for stagger damage and 2 for damage. The ifrit abilities I picked are heatwave and rising flame because their cool downs make it so I can use it early fight and still have them available during the "damage phase".

I am interested in the story, it's actually got me hooked.

Can anyone give me some thoughts about one of the comments I read about the game that the game is too "dark" in tone? The thing I read is that it's too serious, no levity, no humor, and there is no "joy" anywhere just grief and misery.

I want to play XVI but I don't want to get depressed doing it... Final Fantasy XV was great and had it's sad and happy/joyful moments with humor and levity, but I don't want to play a FF that is 100% doom and gloom all the time like Game of Thrones or something.

Can anyone give me some thoughts about one of the comments I read about the game that the game is too "dark" in tone? The thing I read is that it's too serious, no levity, no humor, and there is no "joy" anywhere just grief and misery.

I want to play XVI but I don't want to get depressed doing it... Final Fantasy XV was great and had it's sad and happy/joyful moments with humor and levity, but I don't want to play a FF that is 100% doom and gloom all the time like Game of Thrones or something.
Maybe in comparison to XV, to but all mainline Final Fantasy have been "dark" and "serious" since the first entry. VI had an extremely dark story, but I guess people are not bothered by it because of the art style?

I think depending on your mindset or age, any final fantasy can be considered super depressing. The positive outlook is that they battle through it regardless. They did take a lot of GOT inspirations for this one rather than traditional japanese tropes of dark and brooding hero, but it doesn't stray too far from it's origins.

I think depending on your mindset or age, any final fantasy can be considered super depressing. The positive outlook is that they battle through it regardless. They did take a lot of GOT inspirations for this one rather than traditional japanese tropes of dark and brooding hero, but it doesn't stray too far from it's origins.
Typically at a heavy cost. The only game I can think of where there was a questionably happy ending was FF1. All the others were varying degrees from sad to depressing to devastating. If you want an unquestionably happy ending in your JRPG, play the Dragon Quest series.

This is true.
VII came out when I was in 7th grade. It's also probably my most favorite game ever. Literally one of two games I had on my PSX, second being Twisted Metal.
It is a very depressing story. Many of the key battles even are depressing, with the way the music, or lack thereof played.
I never connected with AVALANCHE's mission, but even to this day, I connect with the characters and their personal struggles. Some of them are batshit crazy.
But at the end of the day, either we wanted to bang Aerith or we are trying to protect Marlene.

Lulz

Anyone past the bahamut/ifrit fight notice a problem with the lighting in the game? I know at this point the game is under "cloudy" skies, but the game can't seem to decide the consistency of the lighting where it can't decide if the scene wants to be air quality index disaster (think smoky haze from forest fires) or clear. Switching from general running around to going into battle just makes the lighting problem worse as when you go into fights, the lighting "clears" up so you can see, then abruptly switches back to smoggy mess when the fight is done. It's jarring to have this haze inserted b/w the camera view and your character mid exploration.

Made a video using remote play. The problem is definitely in game.

Last edited:
Anyone past the bahamut/ifrit fight notice a problem with the lighting in the game? I know at this point the game is under "cloudy" skies, but the game can't seem to decide the consistency of the lighting where it can't decide if the scene wants to be air quality index disaster (think smoky haze from forest fires) or clear. Switching from general running around to going into battle just makes the lighting problem worse as when you go into fights, the lighting "clears" up so you can see, then abruptly switches back to smoggy mess when the fight is done. It's jarring to have this haze inserted b/w the camera view and your character mid exploration.

Made a video using remote play. The problem is definitely in game.

Are you playing in quality or performance mode?

Happens in both modes. I just think they missed the mark on their intended effect of the world is drowning in aether/cloudy skies mechanic. If you've been around heavy polluted cities or get caught up in wildfire smoke drift, you can see clearly for the first 20 ft, but then the "cloudiness" starts to make you think fog. Being the camera is close to Clive, the effect should be clear in the first 20ft, but then almost like LOD kicking in fogging up the long draw distance.

Finished the game today. Got Clive to level 50, did all hunts, got the best gear for 1st time play thru and just skipped the eikon time trials as I did not have enough ability points to master all the skills. Started a new game+ on final fantasy mode and aside from more damage to me if I do get hit, fights so far have been same as before. On any enemy with a stagger meter, I can still kill them in 2 staggers, though that 2nd stagger competes with the remaining hp and sometimes is unneeded. I've since taken off the damage boosters and swapped for xp, ability xp and gil boosters but Clive in his mastered form for the eikon abilities I do use is just crazy.

Yep and it's not even that it is ever TOO dark. It's that it's incredibly monotone especially after both time skips where the majority of the game takes place and the only characters left are the blandest ones ever written in all of human story telling except maybe Gav and Dion. The game stays on like a 7.5/10 darkness level for 30 hours+ straight and it's exhausting. The graphics also turn into trash at around the 80-85% mark to make it a 7.6/10. Even the one moogle in the game is depressed.

Anyone beat the game and left wishing they explored more of the ancient areas? I mean at the start Ifrit and Phoenix battled in what looked like a giant underground city. There were doors in some areas leading to ancient zones that are basically decorations. Waloed a whole continent is... less than the size of Rosaria tbh. That final dungeon. A whole city of beings in a crystal... was a small hallway. I really felt cheated as I approached the end game and I ran out of challenges to go with the level. Again, the story was actually good, but I felt there was so much more left on the table. Already started a Final Fantasy difficulty game and it isn't any harder than first play through.

My assumption, Q1-Q2 for a PC port. But it could be longer for all we know. Hopefully this is a good port, but I kind of doubt it. If they're taking so long to port it maybe they will add proper setting options, DLSS, etc. The only FF games I played were FF7 Remake, which had almost zero options and minor stuttering and otherwise a decent port, FF15 which had a lot of nice settings but horrible stuttering, ugly graphics, crashing issues and Crisis Core Remake which was flawless. Kind of hard to tell what the result here will be.

My assumption, Q1-Q2 for a PC port. But it could be longer for all we know. Hopefully this is a good port, but I kind of doubt it. If they're taking so long to port it maybe they will add proper setting options, DLSS, etc. The only FF games I played were FF7 Remake, which had almost zero options and minor stuttering and otherwise a decent port, FF15 which had a lot of nice settings but horrible stuttering, ugly graphics, crashing issues and Crisis Core Remake which was flawless. Kind of hard to tell what the result here will be.

I never had any issues with FF7R OR FFXV. Well, I should say that the only issue I had with XV was that it was an absolute resource hog and I wasn't able to run full settings on the 1080Ti or 980Ti.

Last edited:
I never had any issues with FF7R OR FFXV. Well, I should say that the only issue I had with XV was that it was an absolute resource hog and I wasn't able to run full settings on the 1080Ti or 980Ti.

FF7R has stuttering issues, they never fully fixed it and it is relatively common on UE4 games. XV had lots of horrible performance issues, but the most annoying was the crashing. Some of the graphic settings would consistently cause a crash in certain areas of the game. The fix was to disable them. I am not sure if they patched the crashing issues, but it still had poor performance, stuttering and ugly visuals for how it ran.

Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition Screenshot 2018.12.14 - 11.06.28.54.png

FF7R was fine except for the occasional stutter, but it had maybe 3-4 graphic settings.

FF7R has stuttering issues, they never fully fixed it and it is relatively common on UE4 games. XV had lots of horrible performance issues, but the most annoying was the crashing. Some of the graphic settings would consistently cause a crash in certain areas of the game. The fix was to disable them. I am not sure if they patched the crashing issues, but it still had poor performance, stuttering and ugly visuals for how it ran.

View attachment 595853

FF7R was fine except for the occasional stutter, but it had maybe 3-4 graphic settings.

I played 7R completely maxed and never experienced any of the issues that you speak of. Even ran great on my Steamdeck. I saw plenty of folks complaining about stuttering, but I never experienced it. Slow ssd problems?

As for XV, I didn't play it until the ultimate Windows Edition or whatever came out and was rock solid stable for me. I thought that performance was a bit low for the visual fidelity and used resources of the game, but it was stable.

I played 7R completely maxed and never experienced any of the issues that you speak of. Even ran great on my Steamdeck. I saw plenty of folks complaining about stuttering, but I never experienced it. Slow ssd problems?

I used it on a decently fast NVMe drive. Maybe they fixed it, but most open ended UE4 games over the past years have stuttering. Maybe you just don't recall or didn't notice. Similar thing happened it The Callisto Protocol thread, one person didn't notice the stuttering although it is well documented on a number of high end set ups and benchmarks.

As for XV, I didn't play it until the ultimate Windows Edition or whatever came out and was rock solid stable for me. I thought that performance was a bit low for the visual fidelity and used resources of the game, but it was stable.

I am sure they fixed some of the issues. But when it came out and I think after some patches it would crash with certain graphic settings enabled. Checkpoint saves were something like 25-30 minutes and I had to re-do some areas multiple times before I found that the fix was to just disable some settings. Absolutely frustrating, and it had massive input lag as well. Despite all of the settings an options, the actual result was a buggy, poor performing and ugly mess.

FF7R on the other hand I found better in every way. Much better gameplay, and a much better port that only had occasional stuttering that looked good for the most part.

My hope is for FFXVI to have FF7R end results minus the occasional stutter, but FFXV graphic options.

I used it on a decently fast NVMe drive. Maybe they fixed it, but most open ended UE4 games over the past years have stuttering. Maybe you just don't recall or didn't notice. Similar thing happened it The Callisto Protocol thread, one person didn't notice the stuttering although it is well documented on a number of high end set ups and benchmarks.

I am sure they fixed some of the issues. But when it came out and I think after some patches it would crash with certain graphic settings enabled. Checkpoint saves were something like 25-30 minutes and I had to re-do some areas multiple times before I found that the fix was to just disable some settings. Absolutely frustrating, and it had massive input lag as well. Despite all of the settings an options, the actual result was a buggy, poor performing and ugly mess.

FF7R on the other hand I found better in every way. Much better gameplay, and a much better port that only had occasional stuttering that looked good for the most part.

My hope is for FFXVI to have FF7R end results minus the occasional stutter, but FFXV graphic options.

I think we got so many graphic options in XV because, IIRC, it was a showcase piece for DLSS 1.0?

XVI isn't running on UE4, so it's got that going for it, at least. It's running on a modified version of the XIV engine, which runs well on PC, but the so-called optimizations for the PS5 may complicate things.

"Of course, we will do our best to optimize as much as possible, but we cannot overcome the hardware barrier alone, so please consider that an SSD is a must."

Considering the only two FF games I played ranged from awful (FFXV) to okay but with stuttering (FF7 Remake), I am doubting that will be the case. Though requiring an SSD makes sense. More modern games have been benefiting from them for a long time already. With modern consoles using SSDs it makes too much sense to stop designing games around HDD limitations.

Considering the only two FF games I played ranged from awful (FFXV) to okay but with stuttering (FF7 Remake), I am doubting that will be the case. Though requiring an SSD makes sense. More modern games have been benefiting from them for a long time already. With modern consoles using SSDs it makes too much sense to stop designing games around HDD limitations.

Never had stuttering issues in FFVIIR

That is good news. I just want FF7 Rebirth to come out first. I assume Square would want to space out the releases though.

Back