Final Fantasy XIV Official Release Thread

CT would be a lot more fun if there werent as many stupid people running it. Mechanics are cool, and the artwork/music is amazing. Got the bard hat, which is a downgrade, but it looks cooler than the 90 bard hat and will be good for vanity.

My guild is having trouble finding/keeping a reliable secondary tank, so we've been pugging a tank, and clearing T1-4 pretty easily. I'm 2 pieces away from full i90 (but need to replace 2 more i90 pieces with myth for best in slot) so I'm like 4 weeks away from maxing out my bard and relying on RNG to get my BIS neckpiece.

PVP is ok, but the grind wears on me quickly. I'm only 5-2, but the queue times and the pre-start time drive me crazy. Especially when considering how many hundreds of battles I have to win just to get 70 pvp gear, let alone 90.

I havent done faction quests, but maybe I'll give it a shot over the holiday break.

Duty Roulette is great for leveling, alts, and tome runs. The stupid thing is that gear from dungeons are pointless at 50. You simply max out with DL gear without ever progressing through level 50 4-mans or hard modes, You skip 2 tiers of gear entirely by doing main quest roulettes.

Ultima hard mode is a blast, Garuda is fun too but requires perfect execution. Haven't unlocked Titan or Ifrit EX yet, but I hope to soon.

I just wish the Duty Finder Roulette worked for more than just solo's, cause my partner and I cant use those to level in dungeons if we want to play together, which sucks.

So since their are 200 pages worth of players here I figured id try my luck here as well. Does anyone use NVidia surround with this game? WITH SLI enabled?

Mine isn't working. I have quad titans and I average about 30 fps. I run at 4680x2560 so I thought wth, is the game really bringing my pc to its knees? But after enableing the SLI indicator In control panel..sure as shat, no SLI with surround enabled.

worksin everything else. monies via PP to whoever can help me fix so I can get to actually playing :(

The game is vastly CPU limited, I run a 4770k at 4.4Ghz and there are very few spots where my single 780ti is fully utilized, max settings at 2560x1440. I'd stick with a single high end GPU and a heavily overclocked CPU for ARR. Hopefully the DX11 client next year will have proper multithreading and other optimizations.

I recorded a full turn 1-5 run of Bahamuts Coil for those who are interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P69bFcUQHl8

And Garuda extreme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_7_FaH2XBs

Working on Titan/Ifrit extreme now but not much time until after the holidays.

Amen to the retards in CT comment. It's SE's fault though. I mean really an ilvl 50 requirement? At least let people prove they're are capable of defeating some form of content first..

Yep, I'm still playing with a vengeance lol. Its really nice having a ton of new stuff to do.

Ran CT for the first time last night and to be honest...was kind of disappointed. I mean, the content itself was cool and my WHM has i77 gear, but we absolutely rolled through it with very little difficulty. I was hoping for a bit more of a challenge. I did get a nice pair of pants for my up and coming monk though.

Other than that, both new hardmode instances are a lot of fun and I've yet to try out the extreme mode primals. ..but I did get my ass handed to me by Ultima a few times lol.

I was actually expecting to see a bunch more people pop on after the update but the droves never came. There still seems to be a healthy population though which makes me happy.

There is still a bunch of stuff I haven't had a chance to try yet because other things in game have been occupying my time...but that's fine by me. Always better to have too much to do than the same ole WP and AK runs.

Just cleared TitanX for the first time. This is the type of challenges I missed in MMO's.

Albeit my problem was finding people who could get up to my level. Took me an hour or so to fully have the fight understood, just days to find other people on that same level.

The game didn't impress me much and is not worth the sub.
Armor all looks the same, lack of customization, cannot dye, cannot transmorph skins...etc.
Skill bars are all predetermined for each class, no skill or attribute customization.
Servers have ridiculous lag problems.
Most of the endgame content is based on "timing" and not skill, i.e. you have a moment to move out of boss AoE or die. If you lag which you will if you live anywhere other than California considering all the servers are on the west coast, then you will die because the lag here is almost as shitty as BF4's network problems. Cutscenes are terrible, click to continue shit is annoying, no voice acting.

As a Whitemage I had a hard time staying awake while playing because of all the monotony and I would often pass out and nearly bounce my head on my keyboard. It's a good looking game yes, but that's about it, once you get past the prettyness there's not much substance

Just cleared TitanX for the first time. This is the type of challenges I missed in MMO's.

Dodge or die? I have to admit I enjoy Titan Extreme too but I find it sad that they can't come up with anything else to make endgame content difficult.

Half of my free company needs to use a VPN or certain fights are unplayable for them (from Europe and Middle-East). We clear the ex primals easily with my static group but thats cherry picked players with an optimal connection.

The game needs data centers/servers in locations other than Canada and Japan imo.

I haven't played since a little while after relaunch... think it is worth it to get back into things now that 2.1 is here? I'm happy to see that player housing is in, and I hope a lot of the other "quality of life" features have been implemented as well. Is it easier to level a variety of jobs these days, and should you still take your "main" job to at least 30 before you raise any secondaries beyond 10 or so? Likewise, did they make crafting/gathering any better? It would be great if they added more of the "you can basically buy what you need to craft most common gear from the vendor nearby" materials beyond level 15 or so. I hope they add more Classes and Jobs in the future - they're missing a lot of my Final Fantasy favorites like Samurai, Ninja, Dark Knight and others..

I think my girlfriend and I may be giving it another try, duo-ing as a healer (her) and archer (me). I do need to get up my Gladiator though, in order to be a decent tank.

The game needs data centers/servers in locations other than Canada and Japan imo.
The game needs to give up on the "MUST BE SERVERSIDE!" concept. Even 100ms of lag is enough to get you killed when you have half a second to dodge an attack. Let the client tell the server where the player was when the attack went off, like every other freaking game out there does.

Last edited:
That has nothing to do with the UI (which, in nearly every instance in any software ever written, is handled client-side).

That has nothing to do with the UI (which, in nearly every instance in any software ever written, is handled client-side).
Key word - Nearly. In FFXIV 1.0, the entire UI was rendered server side and then sent to the client. You're correct that it's not the UI, though. Global cooldown, animation cooldown, and player/mob positioning are what I was thinking of. Don't know why I filed it under "UI" in my brain.

Honestly, if they'd just get rid of the animation cooldown entirely, I'd be stoked. Nothing like not being able to use ANY abilities because you are on interrupt duty for a 0.5s cast. (With a .3s reaction time and .1s lag)

Last edited:
The game needs to give up on the "MUST BE SERVERSIDE!" concept. Even 100ms of lag is enough to get you killed when you have half a second to dodge an attack. Let the client tell the server where the player was when the attack went off, like every other freaking game out there does.

Yea I agree. Square Enix seems to be paranoid people would cheat non stop if things are processed on the client side. Meanwhile players keep complaining they dodged well on their screen but still got hit.

Yea I agree. Square Enix seems to be paranoid people would cheat non stop if things are processed on the client side. Meanwhile players keep complaining they dodged well on their screen but still got hit.

It was like this in FFXI as well. People still botted though but over the years SE clamped down as much as possible over the practice. They've gone so far as moving timed monsters and notorious monsters to be forced pop requiring pop items.

As for FFXIV v2.0, if you read on the official forums, probably the only thing done client side supposedly is gathering points for mining, gathering, etc. But that was back before the 2.1 update so I'm not sure if that's been changed. Gathering bots and warp hacks seemed to be very common post v2.0 release with videos on Youtube showing it happening. If SE moved the gathering points from client to server-side, I would not be surprised they did to lessen the amount of botting happening.

If people didn't resort to cheating, hacking and botting to make a quick Gil or two, SE would obviously move movement and position determination client-side. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Like FFXI, FFXIV's client is nothing more than a fancy remote client with 3D graphics with commands sent and received by the server. In v1.0 like another person mentioned, the UI was server-side. Why? In FFXI, there were people who hacked and botted by taking advantage of the client-side UI to auto-craft, auto-skill up, etc.

I have zero-tolerance against botting so I report any one I see doing it, and it's unfortunate a lot of friends have resorted to that. If you want the easy way out, play another goddamn game or someone like me will report you.

Why cheat, hack and bot? If you're complaining the game is too difficult or time-consuming, why play at all? It makes no sense. If a game has no challenges in place, then the game becomes too easy. It's already easy enough to level and skill up crafting and gathering. I don't see a need to speed it up further.

You cheat, fuck you and I will report you-- friend or foe. There's no benefit to finding the easy way out, and you're just being goddamn lazy ass player.

So, let SE do everything server-side REGARDLESS if you have a high ping from the server.

So, let SE do everything server-side REGARDLESS if you have a high ping from the server.
Did you ever play 1.0? It was HORRIBLE! Want to navigate through your inventory to eat food before a fight? It would take you literally over a minute to do it. Over sixty seconds waiting for the next page of stuff in your bag to load. That's what comes from letting SE do everything server-side, regardless of ping. I get that botters are bad. I think WoW has the right of it in how they take care of it - They've got a watchdog program that runs alongside WoW and keeps an eye out for any hooks into the software. They stop (well, slow down) the cheaters, and the legitimate gamers get to enjoy their game.

Let me toss out a quick story. My first time fighting Garuda (Extreme) was a massacre. I'm a tank, and she does an ability called "Slipstream" which, if it hits you, takes away 40% of your health and stuns you for two seconds. The way to avoid it is to step through her so that she's attacking empty space. This is a nice, slow cast, probably a full 1 second between when she starts to cast and when it goes off. Every time I see her start to cast it, I move through her. About half of the time, I end up stunned while BEHIND her! It's like the game acknowledged that I moved, but refused to do so until after the debuff was put on me. Our first time running coil, we had similar issues with ADS. People were getting hit and flung around despite being in the pacman safe zone. Same with Titan. Same with the tail swipe in Turn 1. Hit detection is just flat out broken in FFXIV right now. I run with some great gamers. A lot of them I've known for years across multiple games. I know they have the skills required. The only reason we've progressed as much as we have is because of those skills, in spite of the game. Watch your tank the next time you're in an instance. They should be getting hit going based off what you see. They're standing under the meteor, or in the frontal cone. Yet, after the ability goes off, you'll see them sidestep, and then return to their position. They didn't get hit. There's some bad latency issues with the game. Having everything be server-side certainly isn't helping.

When you do everything right, and you still fail, it's not fun. It's frustrating.

But hey, at least we don't have cheaters!

Last edited:
Did you ever play 1.0? It was HORRIBLE! Want to navigate through your inventory to eat food before a fight? It would take you literally over a minute to do it. Over sixty seconds waiting for the next page of stuff in your bag to load. That's what comes from letting SE do everything server-side, regardless of ping. I get that botters are bad. I think WoW has the right of it in how they take care of it - They've got a watchdog program that runs alongside WoW and keeps an eye out for any hooks into the software. They stop (well, slow down) the cheaters, and the legitimate gamers get to enjoy their game.

Let me toss out a quick story. My first time fighting Garuda (Extreme) was a massacre. I'm a tank, and she does an ability called "Slipstream" which, if it hits you, takes away 40% of your health and stuns you for two seconds. The way to avoid it is to step through her so that she's attacking empty space. This is a nice, slow cast, probably a full 1 second between when she starts to cast and when it goes off. Every time I see her start to cast it, I move through her. About half of the time, I end up stunned while BEHIND her! It's like the game acknowledged that I moved, but refused to do so until after the debuff was put on me. Our first time running coil, we had similar issues with ADS. People were getting hit and flung around despite being in the pacman safe zone. Same with Titan. Same with the tail swipe in Turn 1. Hit detection is just flat out broken in FFXIV right now. I run with some great gamers. A lot of them I've known for years across multiple games. I know they have the skills required. The only reason we've progressed as much as we have is because of those skills, in spite of the game. Watch your tank the next time you're in an instance. They should be getting hit going based off what you see. They're standing under the meteor, or in the frontal cone. Yet, after the ability goes off, you'll see them sidestep, and then return to their position. They didn't get hit. There's some bad latency issues with the game. Having everything be server-side certainly isn't helping.

When you do everything right, and you still fail, it's not fun. It's frustrating.

But hey, at least we don't have cheaters!

Yeah, I did play 1.0. I had more issues with the UI than anything else.

I even counted in seconds how long it took to go from menu item to another. UI response time was much faster in XI, but that was because it was client-side. However, that also meant botters that took advantage of it as I said above.

I can understand people's frustration with server-side lag and I experience it too, but when you're coming from FFXI and seen rampant cheating during FFXI's peak popularity, it kind of takes away from the gameplay.

Seeing one Linkshell always claim that HNM regularly soon turns into a battle who had the faster claim bot. It ruins the game if people cheat, especially the in-game economy. Now, we have botters/warp hackers in XIV doing this for gathering points. It's who has the better and faster response botter/warp hack to the gathering point.

It's honestly stupid.

So, implement as much of that server-side. The UI currently as far as I can tell is client-side since it's as responsive as FFXI. Position and movement is still server-side and I've seen that first hand at Titan-- you think you dodged that one move that knocks you off the cliff, but you didn't.

However, when you're coming from a game and have experienced botting and cheating first hand from other players, you would understand that there is a need to have most things done server side as securely as possible.

I will come back, once 2.2 hits the servers. I'm not coming before Vanity system is introduced. I kinda liked the story (though it's subpar compared to Old Republic). And I liked the legacy community - the old, good players from 1.0, not the WoW-kids, who turn the community into band of retards.

However, when you're coming from a game and have experienced botting and cheating first hand from other players, you would understand that there is a need to have most things done server side as securely as possible.
I played FFXI for about four years. I never had an issue claiming a NM. I actually farmed Leaping Lizzy for most of my gil. Bought 5 mannequins at a mil a pop with only a few month's effort. I see where you're coming from.

And you're wrong.

(On a side note, I doubt I would have ever gotten my Lu Shang's rod were it not for the bot fishers. 10K/stack for carp made it a few month's work instead of a few years!)

I let my time run out a couple months ago but I hopped back in during the free login weekend last weekend. I had fun so I think I might sub for a while and see how it goes.

The combat is like wow. You tab your targets and attack as usual. I can't comment on any of the endgame stuff as I haven't reached there yet (but I'm enjoying the leveling so far). 1 big difference is that you can level multiple classes with 1 character instead of having to roll a new character. Once 2 classes reach a high enough level they become a Job (or a more specific class).

So is this game any good and worth investing time into? Is combat like WoW or more twitched based?
The global cooldown in FFXIV is 2.5 seconds compared to WoW's 1.5 seconds. This makes the fights feel very long and drawn out. You can't hit a button (even one that's off the global cooldown!) until your current animation finishes, which means you'll sometimes spend up to 3 seconds doing nothing. The flip side of this is that when you DO need to use an ability, you have less than half a second to get it off or else everyone wipes. It leads to very frantic gameplay. Boss fights take about 10 minutes to win. Boss mechanics are superior to anything I've seen in WoW. The basic concepts are the same, but there's so much to do that it's properly tough. They took WoW's philosophy of "don't stand in the stuff, manage your cooldowns, and pay attention" and added more "stuff" to not stand in. For example, in one fight I was in recently, I had to avoid a frontal cone, 3 laser beams, and a giant ball of doom, all without moving the boss (I was a tank). Oh, and while doing that, I had to watch the boss, because if he cast move A, I had to disrupt it. If he cast move B, I had to hit a cooldown. If he cast move C, I had to run and hide. Oh, and I had to pay attention to my own health, because the healers had to run to avoid the beams as well, and instant-casts basically don't exist.

In short, it's close to what Vanilla WoW was, back before they started appealing to the casual gamer.

Thank you! Maybe some of the guys will get it then. I don't understand their dependency on Steam for everything. Whatever floats their boat!

The global cooldown in FFXIV is 2.5 seconds compared to WoW's 1.5 seconds. This makes the fights feel very long and drawn out. You can't hit a button (even one that's off the global cooldown!) until your current animation finishes, which means you'll sometimes spend up to 3 seconds doing nothing. The flip side of this is that when you DO need to use an ability, you have less than half a second to get it off or else everyone wipes. It leads to very frantic gameplay. Boss fights take about 10 minutes to win. Boss mechanics are superior to anything I've seen in WoW. The basic concepts are the same, but there's so much to do that it's properly tough. They took WoW's philosophy of "don't stand in the stuff, manage your cooldowns, and pay attention" and added more "stuff" to not stand in. For example, in one fight I was in recently, I had to avoid a frontal cone, 3 laser beams, and a giant ball of doom, all without moving the boss (I was a tank). Oh, and while doing that, I had to watch the boss, because if he cast move A, I had to disrupt it. If he cast move B, I had to hit a cooldown. If he cast move C, I had to run and hide. Oh, and I had to pay attention to my own health, because the healers had to run to avoid the beams as well, and instant-casts basically don't exist.

In short, it's close to what Vanilla WoW was, back before they started appealing to the casual gamer.

Don't forget the mandatory 3ms client lag, that makes the boss fight impossible, if you don't live near servers. Even if you think you moved out of shit, game still thinks you are in it.

I can't stand the bad story, awful voice acting, the design of "all classess in one character". Don't forget the broken economy, housing that can't be bought, unless you are in very large guild, no transmog/wardrobe system.

My biggest gripe is cross-realm server queuing though. No chance to build community, large chance to meet dickheads that you can barely votekick (one kick per 6 hours), and noone gives any shit about teamplay and strategy or even being nice. "Why the hell even say hello, if I don't see those guys again". And that brings out even bigger DPS morons than in standard MMO - in all the games it's always the DPSers that are dickheads. Tanks and healers have different mentality than "rush, rush, rush, I don't care about anything else" cretins.

And that brings out even bigger DPS morons than in standard MMO - in all the games it's always the DPSers that are dickheads. Tanks and healers have different mentality than "rush, rush, rush, I don't care about anything else" cretins.

I'll agree to this. Every MMO I've played, I've always rolled a healer. and it was like fucking clockwork that the majority of the DPS pugs we would occasionally roll with would continuously pull groups. Gotta love DPS morons

I can't stand the bad story, awful voice acting, the design of "all classess in one character". Don't forget the broken economy, housing that can't be bought, unless you are in very large guild, no transmog/wardrobe system.

My biggest gripe is cross-realm server queuing though.
I thought the story was great. The voice acting is missing too many sections to be considered complete. I love the all-classes-in-one-character bit. The economy IS broken right now. No clue how or even if they plan on fixing it. What they did with the housing costs is pretty cool, I thought - It starts out more expensive than anyone can afford, and it gradually comes down in price until it's affordable. From what I hear, transmog/wardrobe's on the way. Personally, I'm looking forward to it. The half-and-half look for BIS pieces is bleh.

Fixed awhile ago.
Sadly, the positioning lag is still in place.

Generally i dont have issues with positioning and lag (save a few really bad days when the DF servers were fubared - I havent experienced that in awhile). It may be because I still have the leatrix latency fix for windows since the wow days, but really I think people dont understand that the hit and the animations dont line up.

The animations are awesome looking. Plumes, fire, wind, giant rocks, landslide animations. They all look good but the price is the animation is slower then when it actually connects. If you're looking at the animation to see if you got hit, you're doing it wrong.

This is why you may think you were out of the animation in time, but you still die outside of where the animation hits. If you were still in the GTFO zone when the mob finishes casting, even if you run out, you'll get hit. You can test this on any mob with a GTFO zone, you can practically run in after the red zone disappears and before the animation hits. You'll be fine. The best indicator is (if the enemy has one) the cast bar of the monster. If you're in the zone when the cast bar completes, you'll get hit. Run in right after, you're fine. The second best indicator is when the GTFO zone disappears, you can run right in afterwards (Spiny plume in Garuda EX is the best end-game example). Dont ever ever ever rely on animations to judge if you were out of the zone in time.

After weeks of Garuda runs, the aiming ring is finally mine. Full i90 bard! The only upgrades to BiS for me is Ifrit Ex (slight upgrade) and the Turn 5 weapon. Joined a Turn 5 group and barely got to phase 4 a couple of times, but I got enough experience for the rest of the fight. My goal is to down T5 before the next patch, since than when coil will be expanded.

^^ exactly this. I try to keep my focus target as the most troublesome mob so I can watch the cast bar instead of the animations and this change has helped immensely.

The group I am in has been farming T1-T4 weekly (usually about an hour as of late) but hasn't had many good shots at T5 yet unfortunately due to peoples shitty connections with the server and having to replace and regear a few people over time. I've gotten my white mage to i88 now and am still waiting on a good bracelet to drop for me. Titan extreme has been my bane though (all the groups I have tried it with have been pooper and have barely made it to the 2 adds) but I had a few decent shots at it tonight and am going to try and beat it this weekend. I really wanna do Ifrit extreme and be able to get a primal weapon butvhavent decided what class to get it for first ( have a few classes at 50 now)

Just downed turned 5 tonight with a static group. They were looking for a bard for T5 for a static group, and it was my first night with them.

Everything was going smoothly until Twintania did not show up after her big hit explosion at the beginning of phase 4. Everyone was attacking her, but I couldnt select or attack her. All i could do was burn down dreadknights and sing foe or MP ballad at the end. It really sucks, but the other 3 dps picked up the slack and we down it with under a minute before the enrage timer.

i95 Monk weapon, and dragoon feet. Fun night all around!

Edit: 1400 crits are fun!

Awesome grats! I finally got my whm to i90 last week. We have been seeing a lot of healer drops lately. We still haven't had many serious cracks at t5 yet though..which saddens me a bit, but it is what it is. I actually made another toon a little while ago so I could branch out to another coil group without abandoning my static which has been very good to me. Just hit level 30 on it and am about to get my job crystal (brd) and am really looking forward to capping it. Its amazing how much faster you level with the roulette in place.

Still going strong!

SE Kahuna on Reddit, an official representative for SE gave some information regarding the upcoming PS4 release and beta tests:

(Highlighted some important information.)

Hey everyone,

I thought I’d let you know that we have just put online the FFXIV PlayStation 4 product pages (you will find a link at the bottom of the post), and some of the info on there might be of interest to you. If you can’t see the new pages, please do a hard-refresh (most browsers do so through CTRL+F5). Since I know that probably nobody here will have the patience to click the info together, I thought I might as well post a FAQ!

First of all: The trailer. Fully recorded from a PS4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKDm_9CGfpY[1]

Fun Facts: You wouldn’t believe how much time we have spent just waving and cheering. These little over 2 minutes of trailer material took way over 6 hours to film and resulted in over 800GB of 1080p material. I am also in that video, visible at around 0:32. The first one to guess who I am will have the honor of being right! :p

Beta Info

• Phase 1: 22nd of February to 3rd of March
  • Phase 2: 4th of April to 7th of April
  • The Beta will be accessible for everyone with a PS4 and directly downloadable from the PS Store
  • There will be a character wipe after Phase 1.
  • Players who made their character in Beta phase 2 will be able to bring this data to the retail version.
  • Players of the PS3 and PC version of FFXIV will be able to transfer character data to the PS4.
PS3 to PS4 transfer

• The transfer service is scheduled to begin Friday, 11th of April, 2014
  • Please be aware that after transferring to the PS4 you will be unable to play the PS3 version using your existing copy.
  • Users who wish to play using both the PS3 and PS4 are required to purchase the PS4 version separately.
  • Users who possess multiple service accounts for the PS3 can transfer all accounts to the PS4.
  • Users transferring their accounts will have access during the early access period, schedules from the 11th to the 13th of April
PS4 Features

• Upgraded graphics on the PS4 in glorious 1080p (see trailer).
  • PS Vita Remote Play – craft, gather and play wherever you go.
  • Share-support – Stream your gameplay or share screenshots.
  • Mouse & Keyboard Support – Switching over from a PC? Or maybe you dislike controllers? No problem!
  • Touchpad-Support – The touchpad of the Dualshock 4 controller is fully supported.
You can find the new product page here, if you’re in the…
… EU: http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/ps4/[2]
… US : http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/ps4/[3]

That’s it for now. I will keep you updated as soon as something new comes in!

Damn, that looks good. They seem to have taken care of any concerns one might have come from the PC platform.

I played the beta and found the combat boring and slow (spam the same combo rotation over and over again), and it seemed impossible to find a group for dungeon unless you're a tank or healer.

Did they fix any of these problems yet?

Well, it's finally happened. I downed T5 at last and then immediately had the nightmare mount drop from Ifrit EM. I've not even had the urge to login for about a week now. Hopefully things change in 2.2 but I cant find much to do any more..

Back