Final Fantasy XIV Official Release Thread

Rested XP is for the character, not class, and is a straight %. So if you have 200% of rested XP and switch to a level 1 class and use it all up in a few levels, it's gone. The good news is rested XP makes very little difference in the end. Fates (which will be the majority of your XP after 34) and quests don't use up any. Only killing mobs does.

Wow, well that sucks. It was helping me level quite fast during fate grinding.

How's everyone doing after the long weekend? I haven't logged on since like Thursday, some stuff came up so I wasn't able to actually sit down in front of my computer until late last night, at which point I didn't even really feel like doing anything haha.

Heard some people were having log on issues?

Also what happens after 34? There are still tons of quests, even if not part of the main story line, correct? Fate XP isn't the only thing we can get, correct?

Regular 1017, 2002 errors. It was really bad this weekend. I'm playing now trying to decipher the map to find Vesper Bay. It is akin to deciphering hieroglyphics. Otherwise everything is going great.

There is server maint. today from 5pm-3am PDT character creation should re open and hopefully the login issues are sorted as well

Anyone having really crappy performance in FFXIV?

it doesnt run that well. if you are using SLI especially youre going to have some problems. sometimes ill be sitting at like 30 frames and my card wont even boost. getting like 40% utilization and shit. its rough.

with a few settings tweaked you can help yourself out a lot though. atleast until nvidia comes out with some decent drivers that help the game and the engine optimizes SLI a little bit.

Regular 1017, 2002 errors. It was really bad this weekend. I'm playing now trying to decipher the map to find Vesper Bay. It is akin to deciphering hieroglyphics. Otherwise everything is going great.

its for a different quest but it shows you how to get to vesper bay, which is to the far upper left corner of the map

Color-your-world-guide-FFXIV-ARReborn-Dye-quest-guide-map.jpg

There is server maint. today from 5pm-3am PDT character creation should re open and hopefully the login issues are sorted as well

it doesnt run that well. if you are using SLI especially youre going to have some problems. sometimes ill be sitting at like 30 frames and my card wont even boost. getting like 40% utilization and shit. its rough.

with a few settings tweaked you can help yourself out a lot though. atleast until nvidia comes out with some decent drivers that help the game and the engine optimizes SLI a little bit.

Ahhh I see I see. Which settings do you recommend turning down? Which one would you say is the big culprit for performance drain ATM?

Ahhh I see I see. Which settings do you recommend turning down? Which one would you say is the big culprit for performance drain ATM?

occlusion is huge, LOD low quality distant objects

shadow resolution to normal
shadow cascading to normal

those should give you considerably better frames.

also frame limiter is off in game and im using adaptive vsync with triple bufferng through the nvidia control panel

I'm sure you've already checked this, but they way you wrote your post, it sounds like you might have the frame limiter set to 30 FPS in the options. I'm sure you don't but it's easy enough to check. I haven't done SLI since the 8800 days. Still sporting a 1920x1200 so I haven't found the need.

I'm sure you've already checked this, but they way you wrote your post, it sounds like you might have the frame limiter set to 30 FPS in the options. I'm sure you don't but it's easy enough to check. I haven't done SLI since the 8800 days. Still sporting a 1920x1200 so I haven't found the need.

nope. frame limiter is set to off in game.

the only vsync i have on is through the nvidia CP

Server maint is at 5 Pacific today? Bah, I was finally able to login this morning, was going to leave it until i got home to play.... guess that's out the window for tonight :)

[L]imey;1040171158 said:
Server maint is at 5 Pacific today? Bah, I was finally able to login this morning, was going to leave it until i got home to play.... guess that's out the window for tonight :)
Same here. Got up at 5AM, decided to give it a shot after trying all weekend. Bam, got in, no issues. I work until 5PM today, so I'll get home around 5:30... Giving me 30 minutes to play :(

Oh well, I'd rather they spend the time to fix the issues. I see myself playing this game for a while, so I'm hoping they get everything resolved. I'm not in a huge hurry or anything.

It kind of sucks that it'll be down for so long, but it's definitely needed for them to fix all these issues. Even if the maintenance wasn't tonight, most of us probably wouldn't be able to login tonight anyway :p

Fates (which will be the majority of your XP after 34) and quests don't use up any. Only killing mobs does.

I've found FATEs to be a terrible way to get experience. At 38 I can get 55k exp / 45 minutes from running Bray. Compared to about 25-35k / hour FATE grinding since there are 50 maybe 75 people grinding the same FATEs allowing the FATEs to last maybe 3 minutes. Basically run Bray 4 or 5 times to level. I'd like to switch to leveling out of Qarn since that run is more fun and challenging. Only think stopping me from Qarn is pugging it is not an option, i've tried it 3 tmies now with terrible results. FC only pls.

Last edited:
I've found FATEs to be a terrible way to get experience. At 38 I can get 55k exp / 45 minutes from running Bray. Compared to about 25-35k / hour FATE grinding since there are 50 maybe 75 people grinding the same FATEs allowing the FATEs to last maybe 3 minutes. Basically run Bray 4 or 5 times to level. I'd like to switch to leveling out of Qarn since that run is more fun and challenging. Only think stopping me from Qarn is pugging it is not an option, i've tried it 3 tmies now with terrible results. FC only pls.

generally speaking the dungeons are considerably worse experience gain over fates.

its likely youre in the wrong area if youre only getting 25-35k an hour. in couerthas or whatever its called. town named is dragonhead; there is a dragon fate that is a chain of three that equals 7+10+27= total 44k and it spawns more than once an hour.

in 7 hours i went from 43 to 49 from fate grinding. thats millions of experience points

generally speaking the dungeons are considerably worse experience gain over fates.

its likely youre in the wrong area if youre only getting 25-35k an hour. in couerthas or whatever its called. town named is dragonhead; there is a dragon fate that is a chain of three that equals 7+10+27= total 44k and it spawns more than once an hour.

in 7 hours i went from 43 to 49 from fate grinding. thats millions of experience points

Yeah that's where i was. It may be differnent dpeening on the class too. As a PLD i usually can't do enough compared to BLK spam aoes. I can usually get about 4k a FATE if I actually get there and in a full group. Then again i don't find it fun running all over the place in a swarm. Much rather grind by killing things. Much better loot from dungeons as well.

Yeah that's where i was. It may be differnent dpeening on the class too. As a PLD i usually can't do enough compared to BLK spam aoes. I can usually get about 4k a FATE if I actually get there and in a full group. Then again i don't find it fun running all over the place in a swarm. Much rather grind by killing things. Much better loot from dungeons as well.

yeah a group is required, especially if youre a pld.

im not gonna lie its not fun. its shitty but its fast. i liked the dungeons and i think there should be way better incentives to make you want to do them more.

Is there a "wowhead" equivalent for this game yet? So you can look up where items come from in dungeons and stuff like that?

[L]imey;1040171511 said:
Is there a "wowhead" equivalent for this game yet? So you can look up where items come from in dungeons and stuff like that?
There's XIVDB, which is WoWhead-esque. Doesn't tell you where the items come from, though.

Im curious as to why Ive seen people say to use your class for questing and the job for dungeons. Does your job level with your primary class? is the Class really better for questing? It would seem like a Lancer would be faster for leveling or is that not the case?

Im curious as to why Ive seen people say to use your class for questing and the job for dungeons. Does your job level with your primary class? is the Class really better for questing? It would seem like a Lancer would be faster for leveling or is that not the case?

yes jobs level with their primary class.

when you have a job stone equipped you only can spell affinities from 3 other classes

for example if I am a BLM

i can use THM spells, ARC spells, ARN, spells. I cant use all of their spells but i can use a select few.

when I am playing my THM i get spell affinities from EVERY class. way more versatile. so it really depends. some people may want to play their maurader over their warrior if they can use cure in order to quest easier etc.

I don't find htis to always be the case. For example if I'm in a dungeon that's less than 40 on my PLD/GLD I will go as a GLD since I have MNK abilities to pull from which are very helpful (extra heal and another +def short term buff). Past 40 though it's PLD all the way for either questing or dungeon since i have both the offensive (lvl 35, +dps (questing)) and defensive (lvl 40, 20% dmg reduction (dung)) buffs available.

A better way to put it is that only classes gain experience points, and that jobs are nothing more than an equippable spec. When you do not have a job equipped (so you are just your base class), you have a pretty wide variety of other classes' skills available to you. When you equip your job (which is literally what you do), you gain access to additional skills that are available to only your job, but are limited to only a few skills from two specific classes. I think you also get an increase to certain stats while your job is equipped, but I haven't done any comparison yet.

For example, let's say that you are a level 30 Lancer, and are currently using the following cross-class abilities:

Cure from Conjurer
Raging Strikers from Archer
Second Wind from Pugilist

When you equip your job to change to Dragoon, you now have access to the Dragoon-only skill Jump, but cannot use Cure or Raging strikes anymore, since Dragoon can use only certain abilities from Pugilist and Marauder classes. You'll still be able to use Second Wind though, since it's a Pugilist skill.

Because classes can pull from a wider range of skills from other classes, they are more versatile, which follows more towards solo play. A Lancer being able to cure himself with the Cure spell while soloing is a great thing, but becomes largely unnecessary in a group setting where you have a dedicated healer. As Dragoon, you no longer can use the Cure spell, but have access to other abilities like the various jumps that will enhance your primary focus of DPSing while in a group.

You do. It really comes down to versatility and how many other classes you've leveled up. As a WHM, you get access to fewer cross-class spells but you get access to some nice healing spells. When solo, you may want to go back to CNJ so that you get access to more cross-class spells since you don't need to heal so much. Since I've only got one secondary class to 15 (ACN) there's not much point in me switching back to CNJ since I'd gain nothing. :p

Okay, I'm not sure what happened but I'm unable to get back to Umbra. I got disconnected and it kicked me out, when I got back in I spawned in Aleport. So now I'm unable to teleport back to Umbra and there's no ferry to get me back there to finish the main story line.
I'm also unable to abandon the mission and restart....what is going on here? There has to be some other way to get back...

Playing this game is like an act of attrition, it's so well done in so many aspects but SE has really dropped the ball in certain regards, connectivity, navigation.
They better hope that the maintenance tonight corrects 1017; I don't care how good a game is but if people are unable to get online and play their going to lose interest and move on.

edit: got it sorted, NPC ferry-man glitched and I had to log in/out

Last edited:
I need to start a crafting profession that allows me to use Materia, what would you all recommend to start out with and is gathering one that lets you use Materia? Started my relic quest and I need a profession that will allow me to use Materia :).

Eh? I'm pretty sure when you are playing as your job you still gain EXP...

Note that I didn't say that you don't gain EXP while you have your job equipped. I said that only classes gain EXP. When you have your Dragoon job equipped, you're still a Lancer, and any EXP that you gain shows up in the chat log as "You gained 1017 Lancer experience points".

I believe whatever class is used to repair that piece is the same class needed to put into materia. Every tradeskill except cooking would be useful in that regard. It really depends on your main combat class

Edit, this means gathering skills don't directly help with materia, but leveling crafting skills without the respective gathering will be slow and expensive.

A better way to put it is that only classes gain experience points, and that jobs are nothing more than an equippable spec. When you do not have a job equipped (so you are just your base class), you have a pretty wide variety of other classes' skills available to you. When you equip your job (which is literally what you do), you gain access to additional skills that are available to only your job, but are limited to only a few skills from two specific classes. I think you also get an increase to certain stats while your job is equipped, but I haven't done any comparison yet.

For example, let's say that you are a level 30 Lancer, and are currently using the following cross-class abilities:

Cure from Conjurer
Raging Strikers from Archer
Second Wind from Pugilist

When you equip your job to change to Dragoon, you now have access to the Dragoon-only skill Jump, but cannot use Cure or Raging strikes anymore, since Dragoon can use only certain abilities from Pugilist and Marauder classes. You'll still be able to use Second Wind though, since it's a Pugilist skill.

Because classes can pull from a wider range of skills from other classes, they are more versatile, which follows more towards solo play. A Lancer being able to cure himself with the Cure spell while soloing is a great thing, but becomes largely unnecessary in a group setting where you have a dedicated healer. As Dragoon, you no longer can use the Cure spell, but have access to other abilities like the various jumps that will enhance your primary focus of DPSing while in a group.

so basically job for groups class for soloing?

Thanks for the information on the map and the ferry. I was able to complete that part of the quest line using it. Was working on tokens for my mount, but decided to take a break.

gonna try to get my chocobo license tomorrow so i can finally use my goobbue and legacy bird

Back