Final battle: DFI lanparty JR P45 T2RS vs ASUS P5Q-EM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freezebyte

2[H]4U
Ok, so I finally decided that i'm not going to going to wait and pay the premium prices that Nehahelm will be, whenever it launches that is anyway. That, and I have no idea if their will be even any mATX boards available at launch. That being said, Intels curent Core 2 Quads are gonna be a BIG increase from my single old 3700+ and that will make me happy as a clown along with the rest of my system upgrade. I"ve been doing my research at it looks likes the two big boys in the fight for gaming mATX supremacy is between the ASUS P5Q-EM and the DFI lanparty JR P45 T2RS.

EDIT: Anandtech is doing G/P45 board reviews and the first part includes the P5Q-EM
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3417

In the one corner, we have the ASUS P5Q-EM which I am partial to due to my years of good experience with Asus and the quality of their motherboards. For the msot part, this mobo apparently has had a good track record. However, its seems from other forums concerning adding expansion PCI-E graphics cards cause this board to have major issues. I'm getting opinions and viewpoints both ways. Peeps here tell me that they've had good luck with no troubles running higher end seperate video cards and no issues with the onboard video_On the other hand, other forums including AVSforums, Asus's website and Anandtech are reporting huge issues with running expansion video cards and it seem neither Intel or Asus is giving up much info or hope to solve this issue. This doesn't give me a great confidence to say the least and makes more confused on what the hell is going on here.

asus.jpg

In the other corner, we have a newcomer to my world of motherboard usage, the DFI lanparty JR P45 T2RS. I"ve heard about DFI for a few years but never considered them as I was always a devout Asus follower. This board has a big plus of not having ANY onboard video and as such, has not been having issues with onboard/expansion video problems that the Asus seems to have. The darkness falls though on this board because apparently the PCI-E 16x spec is NOT accurate and that the boards limited to 8x mode in either single or dual. So, I don't get full specced PCI-E speed, but will that matter much for my usage? That, and the weird Halloween color is kinda ugly

DFI.jpg

So, I'm at a cross roads on what to do here. I guess worst case scenario if one doesn't work, I can go through the whole RMA/refund process and get the other version but i'd really rather not go through the headache if at all possible.I plan on pairing one of these boards with a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, Q9400 or Q9550 depending on pricing and availiblity at purchasing time. I will be reusing my BFG 7800GTX until I decide on replacing it with something newer at a later time. On a final note. my setup WILL NOT be OCed for any shape or reason. The setup will initially run XP Pro until I decide wether Vista is worth my time. The setup will not be used heavily for gaming and will need to last 2-3 years time span before I upgrade/replace it.

Above all else, I want it to run STABLE and RELIABLE above speed. Thanks again for your input, I appreciate it alot.

Not familiar with the ASUS MB but I do have a DFI P45 JR T2RS and IMO it's a winner to me because it can do a mean OC and can do a mean CrossFire set up.

Not familiar with the ASUS MB but I do have a DFI P45 JR T2RS and IMO it's a winner to me because it can do a mean OC and can do a mean CrossFire set up.

Whats the quality been like? There website looks like it was designed by a 12 year old and apparently their documentation is pretty poor with bad grammar as well. Not really a boost of confidence for me.

What vid cards are you running? Any pics? Thanks so much.

I'm running a DFI JR P45 DDR2 right now w/9800GTX, everything runs impeccably. Haven't tried overclocking as I'm still on stock cooler in a SFF case, but the BIOS options are extensive and DFI-club forums are a great resource. I can also confirm that my 9800gtx is running at 8x lanes, but these are 2.0 lanes so newer cards shouldn't be bottlenecked by bandwidth.

The rest of my rig is composed of Seagate HDD in raid0, asus optical, e8400, and wireless-n pci card. Haven't had any issues.

I'm running a DFI JR P45 DDR2 right now w/9800GTX, everything runs impeccably. Haven't tried overclocking as I'm still on stock cooler in a SFF case, but the BIOS options are extensive and DFI-club forums are a great resource. I can also confirm that my 9800gtx is running at 8x lanes, but these are 2.0 lanes so newer cards shouldn't be bottlenecked by bandwidth.

The rest of my rig is composed of Seagate HDD in raid0, asus optical, e8400, and wireless-n pci card. Haven't had any issues.

Could you post a pic of your layout? What case you using? I've got a Silverstone SUGO SG01-F coming tomorroo.

Needs to last 2-3 years... and a 7800GTX to be upgraded "later", won't be used for gaming, won't be o/ced. High end/gaming paired with low end parts. Build and use don't make sense

I'm relatively new to computer building. The DFI P45 JR T2RS was my first "tweaker" MB.

Over the weekend I got a HD4850 for under $100 with MIR from Fry's. I already had an HD4850.
Set up CrossFire. Running E8500 with E0 stepping.

So far I am happy with the DFI MB. CF was easy to set up wth HD4850 and seems to be a "best bang for buck" set up. [H]ardforums even gave a HD4850 a Gold award just recently.

Where I'm at with my machine right now.

Benchmarked in its case. :)

Crossfireactiongm.JPG

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=8282952

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=422002

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/w6776/

I like your gpu clock, how can i make mine gpu clock like that?

The GPU screen shot is not reporting correctly. :D

In PCI slot #1 I have a Toxic HD4850 which has performed well on my machine@ 721core and 1200mhz memory.

In PCI slot #2 I'm running VisionTek HD4850@ stock settings with fan control.

I use RivaTuner 2.11 to set clocks and fan on each GPU.

I don't have any BIOS flashes or "pencil" mods done. Just the GPUs tuned with RivaTuner.

Toxic HD4850 has very fast RAM.

Needs to last 2-3 years... and a 7800GTX to be upgraded "later", won't be used for gaming, won't be o/ced. High end/gaming paired with low end parts. Build and use don't make sense

What a useful post. Think i'll make that my sig cause it was so enlightning

Yeah, I don't buy that low end of parts, no thanks.
Low end? It has less features so it saves you money. $30 PC Chips board would have been low end. You are paying 3-4x for features you say you are not going to use. That makes no sense.

Low end? It has less features so it saves you money. $30 PC Chips board would have been low end. You are paying 3-4x for features you say you are not going to use. That makes no sense.

I don't care, I will pay extra for a quality board that has a reputation behind it with features that I may not even use.

You're financially unstable like you mentioned in your other edited post and can't save up/bother saving up, and yet you want "quality" parts that you won't use for a hundreds or so more. Meanwhile you reject every opinion or suggestion given to you and treat them like hostile intentions while sounding like a spoiled kid and being reaaaaal mature
I don't care.
And you're 28? If I must say so, you don't make sense at all, sir.

You're financially unstable like you mentioned in your other edited post and can't save up/bother saving up, and yet you want "quality" parts that you won't use for a hundreds or so more. Meanwhile you reject every opinion or suggestion given to you and treat them like hostile intentions while sounding like a spoiled kid and being reaaaaal mature And you're 28? If I must say so, you don't make sense at all, sir.

Congrads, you get a cookie for being perceptive. Do you have point, or do you get off by finding out peoples flaws and making them public to make yourself feel worthwhile?

Point is, if you're gonna be a lil beeoch and shit on everyone's suggestions, don't ask for them. Attitude problem much?

y waste all the time and money over a board when u r not using what it meant to be?
the P5Q-EM is clearly a HTPC mobo... i own one and i know it damn well... not to mention lots of ppl having trouble adding a GPU into the board...
the JR P45 T2RS is pretty much a board for ppl who wanna do CF in a mATX build... which u r not planning to do since u r not heavily gaming plus u r using a 20" display which at the max rez is only 1680x1050
just stick with a G31 board will be more enough for what u need/want... the Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L will be more than enough for u... if u do wanna game a little just grab the HD 4650 and it will overkill it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back