Filter material?

ElektronikSeraph

[H]ard|Gawd
In looking to keep dust out of my new PC-7B, I'm looking for some filter material. There are perforated holes on the side through which air is indirectly intaken through (no fans there, but negative airflow) plus the 120mm front intake fan.

I'm looking for something like the material included in filters like this http://coolerguys.com/840556041146.html, just thin black foamy stuff, but in larger sheets so I can cut it to totally fit the holes needed. It must be black - to match the case and dim internal lights (of which there are only motherboard LEDs).

Doesn't need to be perfect filtration, obviously, just SOMETHING to keep dust down. My house is clean, but LAN parties rarely are. :)

Would a hardware store or something carry this, or not? Thanks.

Pantyhose work fine for me, but if you chose to take this route make sure you don't stretch them too far. If you do they'll let a bit of dust through.

is it something like this your after?

IMGA0372.jpg

I have heard of the pantyhose thing before but also scotch pads. I have just used the aluminum ones you can buy online at various places. I still have to do a minor cleaning every 6 or so months but the stuff I vacuum off every week from those covers is totally worth it to me. I may look into the pantyhose thing.... the wife has a tendancy to rip hers or the daughter of ours helps the process along.

I find my pantyhose a little hard to clean when there's a thick layer of dust all over them. ;)

ElektronikSeraph said:
Yeah, that's the stuff.

I'll look into the pantyhose thing, but I'd rather find something a... a little less awkward.

let me know if/where you find that stuff. I need some for the inside of my v1000b. that material looks like it would do the trick.

CricketCorpse said:
let me know if/where you find that stuff. I need some for the inside of my v1000b. that material looks like it would do the trick.

I was kinda hoping AY786 would respond saying where it's from, but alas! I ask you return the favor if you find it.

sorry, i dont know where you can actually buy this filter material, i got this with my lian li pc75 case. Try ebay!

I too, think that black foam is AC replacement filter material sold to replace filters in window air conditioners. Should be available at any hardware store.

webbee said:
I too, think that black foam is AC replacement filter material sold to replace filters in window air conditioners. Should be available at any hardware store.

from wal-mart, for $1.74

got some sticky-sided velcro, now to rig it where i can easily remove the material from the side of the case...

Best filter media I've found is pleated furnace filter media. Excellent dust-trapping with imperceptible air-flow restriction.

It's pleated (accordion-fold) to increase surface area, so it's about 1" thick. It takes a bit of fiddling/modding to fit it, but it's performance is excellent.

Find it at any hardware store, and cut-to-fit.

Hope this helps!

CricketCorpse said:
from wal-mart, for $1.74

got some sticky-sided velcro, now to rig it where i can easily remove the material from the side of the case...

How thick is that stuff? It's hard to tell fromt he pics if it's .25" or 1"...

And gud4u, thanks for the tip, but I need this stuff to be black. The front of my case is going to have a very large hole backed with modder's mesh, leaving a lot of visibility, and the light colors of most accordian-type AC filters I've seen are white and awkward looking.

Back