Files over the web. FTP?

Hawk001

Limp Gawd
Not sure this is the right forum, anyway. We have a home network, with a static IP (Im pretty sure), we got a standard file server w/ windows server 03 on it. We have a wireless router and about 3PCs wireless and 5 Wired. I also have a main PC and a find of fool-a-round with PC. One thing that I want to learn how to do, is setup a FTP on my test computer. If everything is lost on this PC in the process, that is fine. It has XP pro on it now, duel booting with Ubuntu linux. What do I need to do to get this working. Should I go with FTP? I want to be able to access my files from anywhere pretty much (not remote desktop). Thanks for any help I may or may not get :p .

Sup Dude,

Welcome to the Network & Security forum. Its the right spot!

To get an FTP server working on windows XP Pro, I would recommend one of the many fine free ftp servers out there.

I've used Filezilla and cerberus, they all work very well.

Pretty much, in a nutshell, it goes

install program,

define user account
define folder to share.
ftp to computer by IP.

Thats about it. If you want to share this with the public internet, you need to forward port 21 from your router to this windows xp test box.

If anything is confusing, fire away!

Well, Ill just expiriment with it and see how it goes, then reply back. Right now I just need to know how to correctly forward ports on my linksys befw11s4 (wireless router). What ports to forward, and exactly what to do. The rest I think my prior computer knowledge should take care of, thanks :):).

I would say if you want FTP, then Filezilla is about as easy as it gets. It supports secure FTP connections.

Another option is SSLExplorer. It's a clientless VPN that will let you browse and upload files via a web browser. It will do a lot more things also. I run a SSL Explorer server at my house so I can VPN back in and use Remote Desktop.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sslexplorer/

Hawk001 said:
Well, Ill just expiriment with it and see how it goes, then reply back. Right now I just need to know how to correctly forward ports on my linksys befw11s4 (wireless router). What ports to forward, and exactly what to do. The rest I think my prior computer knowledge should take care of, thanks :):).

As for the ports Google is your friend.

FTP = 21and/or 22
Secure FTP = 990

Also, can anybody just jump onto my connections. Do they need a username and password? Is their a way to set up multiple accounts on the computer, so that if I want someone certain access to blah blah I can do that, but they can only get to certain files. Another thing, If this turns out to be real easy, can I do the same thing for my main computer ,and take ftp off my test pc. and then would I just be able to log into my files or what ever if the computer is ON. thanks.

Doc Holiday said:
As for the ports Google is your friend.

FTP = 21and/or 22
Secure FTP = 990

So on my router forwarding, i would put in 990 instead of 21 and I would get somehow more secure ftp? does filezila provide use of secure ftp? how is it more secure?

Hawk001 said:
Also, can anybody just jump onto my connections. Do they need a username and password? Is their a way to set up multiple accounts on the computer, so that if I want someone certain access to blah blah I can do that, but they can only get to certain files. Another thing, If this turns out to be real easy, can I do the same thing for my main computer ,and take ftp off my test pc. and then would I just be able to log into my files or what ever if the computer is ON. thanks.

Just download filezilla and mess around with it. Alternately you can read their help files and it will show you what you need to know.

sence both my router and my ftp server will point to the same IP INSIDE the network, what will happen when i try to connect to the ftp server from my house. OR will the port forwarding take the request and forward it to my ftp server.

Hawk001 said:
sence both my router and my ftp server will point to the same IP INSIDE the network, what will happen when i try to connect to the ftp server from my house. OR will the port forwarding take the request and forward it to my ftp server.

If your FTP server and the client machine are within the same subnet, you will not need to use dyndns.org, and also you don't have to worry about dynamic IP addressing (assuming your router properly assigns IP's based on the network adapter mac address, which linksys routers do untill power is unterrupted on them).

Just take note of the IP address that your machine is using, and then connect to that IP from the client machine. You can see the IP address by going to:

Start >> Run >> type in

cmd

>> then type in

ipconfig

This will tell you what IP's are assigned to the FTP host machine.

Back