file share over network

ilkhan

[H]F Junkie
I read the FAQ, dont think this was in there.

At a LAN party, but if its not solved tonight no biggy, can use it next time

Question is how can we share folders w/o having to authenticate? If we enable guest we get a "can't access" message and if not we get a login request.

The specific share is a 2x120GB RAID 1 array, ( Y: ) on my computer. Shared as "Storage" with permissions of "everyone-read" and nothing else.

I think we have tried everything we can think of, and this sucks.

EDIT: oops. Simple file sharing is off, WXPpro both machines.

If you get a login dialog, just enter the username/password credentials for the user running on the machine you're trying to access.

But that would require GIVING all those users the login/pswd...not a bad idea, but I would still like them to be able to access the content w/o doing that.

More thought, I will do it that way. So I can let people update stuff or not depending on how malicious they might be...*not the most liked guy at the LAN*

NEW QUESTION: another question. I have a folder I want to make private, within the shared drive. How can I do that?

I think u are getting confused with security settings. The easiest way to set them up is to:-

Enable the sharing permissions to 'Everyone'(properties/sharing/permission).

Then under the security tab add the following users 'Everyone' and deny them to write. Then add your self and enable 'full control'.

To block users from accessing private folders; under the security tab add the following users 'Everyone' and click all the deny boxes. Then add 'Your self' and enable 'full control'.

Get the idea? Hope that helps

doesn't deny permission override give permissions? SO if you give everyone a deny write...and self a YES permission...you can write?

different WG, but we were going through "view all network computers". Not that we couldn't connect, it wasn't letting them log on annonymously

Back