File association is set, but does not work, help!

Savi

Gawd
I think my problem has more to do with the OS, which is why I posted here and not in the computer audio section.

I have a very odd problem, I play my video files in media player, and audio files in Winamp. All play fine but, when I double click or even do an open with on a .flac audio file it opens up into media player. The file association is set to Winamp, even the icon on the .flac file is the Winamp one. If I drag and drop the .flac file into Winamp it plays just fine, if it’s in a playlist if plays fine, but if I try to open it with a double click or open with it opens media player and plays in that. I noticed the same thing for .ogg audio files as well actually. Also when I right click the .flac file Enqueue in Winamp does not show up, only Bookmark in Winamp. Many months ago it would be open in Winamp, this is a recent problem, and no idea when it started I just noticed it :/

I use Windows 7 x64, Shark007 Win 7 and x64 codec pack. I uninstalled all codec’s even Winamp restarted pc, installed Winamp first set the file associations but still the same problem, so I don’t think it has to do with codec’s, I think. Really no idea what to do any help would be nice I’ve been stuck on this for a few days.

It didnt work :/

i used it to delete the .flac association and then i set winamp to be the default program for flac again, but it still opens in media player, even in the default program window it shows winamp as the program for .flac everything says it will open in winamp from what i can see but when i double click it or do a open with winamp it just opens media player

:/

yes it shows winamp as the default program, from everything i have looked at it shows winamp as default program for it, even the icoons on flac files are the winamp icons just like rest of the audio files do.

if this is a regestry problem were would i look to fix it, i have only used regedit a few times so dono much about it. grasphing at straws here lol no idea how this happened

Download this, open it and look for .flac. Under the Actions tab for the association, what program path does it list for Open and Play.

Download this, open it and look for .flac. Under the Actions tab for the association, what program path does it list for Open and Play.

it says Winamp.File.FLAC

but media player still opens, im gusing something is broken , its not a major problem but i would hate for it to lead to something worse

cool little program btw

oo i just added the option from winamp queue and play, from the context menu and that works but i dont see the other options like i do for other audio files

it says Winamp.File.FLAC

but media player still opens, im gusing something is broken , its not a major problem but i would hate for it to lead to something worse

cool little program btw

oo i just added the option from winamp queue and play, from the context menu and that works but i dont see the other options like i do for other audio files
OK, you may not be using it right. When you see .flac and click on it, yes at the top under classes it will say Winamp.File.FLAC. But I need you to do more. Double click on the .flac association, then click action tab. What program path does it show? Is it pointing to Winamp or is it pointing to WMP?

Last edited:
Its pointed to winamp, but its red i dono if thats normal, i took a screen shot, the location it points to is were winamp is located
flac.jpg

I took a few more screen shots, of the context menus when i right click the audio files, first is a mp3, i cut out all the normal stuff like cut, paste, open with etc just the stuff that is different

mp3context.jpg

heres the flac context menu

flaccontext.jpg

Back