FFS Gigabyte

That sucks. I've only gotten that message when I was trying for 48x or higher multi with lots of voltage or making large multi/ram changes.

Does it happen coming out of sleep mode? Or just on cold or warm boots?

Try rolling it down the stairs. If the stairs are on fire it will help even more.

What are your ram speeds at? I have a gigabyte board that used to give me shit about it but it only throttled my ram speeds from 1600 down to 1333, but it doesn't do that any more with some tweaking.

1600/8-8-8-24/1.5v - hardly anything extreme.

first off, running ddr3-1600 is technically overclocking as intel lists the official supported speed for 1155 sandy bridge at 1333. socket 2011 supports 1600 officially.

second, are you running 2 sticks or 4?

And what is the rest of your system specs? What is the multiplier and BCLK set to?

I have set 2 systems up with Gigabyte Z68 boards. One is my 2600k at 4.7 and the other is my brother's 2500 (non-k) that is running at 3.7 with no issues on either.

What RAM do you have in it? Is that 1600/8-8-8-24 the stock timings?

Don't use the XM. Use the XL.
Another person had "overclock failure" after the computer was off overnight. The problem was the gskill ram he was using. When he switched to a different gskill (i dont remember if it was RL to XL or sniper to XL i dont remember at all), his computer ran 3 weeks without a OC failed , and kept running up to his latest updates.

Also PLL overvoltage set to auto or enabled can cause this too (doesn't happen on my UD5 B3 with gskill 4x4gb XL's....)

It's already at 2T

What does intel officially specify when it comes to timings?

Ram is G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4GB (that's two sticks) (F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM) and CPU is 2600K. Everything is stock.

Yes it is stock timings for the RAM: 1600MHz 8-8-8-24 1.5v on the sticker, 2T in the SPD, so that's exactly what I set.

Intel has only validated the use of DDR3-1333 CL9 (9-9-9) for use with sandy bridge.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...non-ecc-udimm-sandy-bridge-1333-ww352011.html

you are overclocking the ram frequency and you are tightening the timings. it doesnt matter if your CPU is OC'd or not. You are overclocking a part of that system.

yes he is overclocking, however it should run fine at stock CPU speed and those RAM speeds.

A quick test could be to bump the RAM timing up to 9 or 10 and see how that runs.. worth a shot.

I get that on cold boots sometimes but it happens very rarely and fixes itself without me actually having to do anything. You shouldn't need to down clock anything in regards to ram since you are using them at rated speeds. It also doesn't matter that its technically overclocked ram because those are its rated speeds and that motherboard can do 1866/2133 in all four slots without breaking a sweat.

Increase the QPI/VTT voltage a bit and up the PLL by .5. I have to up the PLL whenever I OC on Gigabyte motherboards or it is unstable as hell. May not be necessary but couldn't hurt. Update bios to F10 or better for best results.

Why would you suggest him to buy worse ram (lower clocks) when he has better current ram?

I get that on cold boots sometimes but it happens very rarely and fixes itself without me actually having to do anything. You shouldn't need to down clock anything in regards to ram since you are using them at rated speeds. It also doesn't matter that its technically overclocked ram because those are its rated speeds and that motherboard can do 1866/2133 in all four slots without breaking a sweat.

Increase the QPI/VTT voltage a bit and up the PLL by .5. I have to up the PLL whenever I OC on Gigabyte motherboards or it is unstable as hell. May not be necessary but couldn't hurt. Update bios to F10 or better for best results.

Why would you suggest him to buy worse ram (lower clocks) when he has better current ram?

No one is suggesting that. What I'm saying is that he needs to run them at 1333 9-9-9 to see if his issue goes away. That way he'll know if its the ram or not. In the OP he insists that he's not OCing anything, but he is. He's running his ram at the Manufacturer's "rated speeds" not Intel's. The easiest way to solve his problem is for him to loosen his timings first, and if it's still bad then downclock them to see if the error goes away.

This is about troubleshooting, not getting him to buy new ram.

Also, OP, are you using XMP to set it to 1600 or manually configuring it to 1600 without XMP? That is also an issue, and you are better off manually configuring your ram rather than using XMP. it is a known issue that XMP can cause cold boot problems.

EDIT: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyt...on-z68xp-ud4-1-0-motherboard-please-help.html please check that link for more info on your issue. Users are experiencing the same thing on GB mobos. Please use the latest bios too.

Last edited:
Don't use the XM. Use the XL.
Another person had "overclock failure" after the computer was off overnight. The problem was the gskill ram he was using. When he switched to a different gskill (i dont remember if it was RL to XL or sniper to XL i dont remember at all), his computer ran 3 weeks without a OC failed , and kept running up to his latest updates.

Also PLL overvoltage set to auto or enabled can cause this too (doesn't happen on my UD5 B3 with gskill 4x4gb XL's....)

I wasn't talking to you since you didn't say it. Regardless of if it is "overclocked" or not it is still a rated speed for that motherboard. XXXX(OC) is still considered a rated speed. As I have already stated I have used 2133 in a similar board and it doesn't have an issue.

I know that Gigabyte don't like 4 ram stick, but since you have 2, you shouldn't have any problems. I would run the system at 1333mhz since ram speed don't do crap anyway. Also i don't know if it's 1.65 ram or 1.5v ram but SB prefer 1.5v, altought 1.65 work too..

His RAM is 1.5V. I am running 4 sticks at 1.52 idle.

Try either setting RAM voltage to AUTO or bump it up slight to 1.52
PLL can be disabled. I think even with an overclock, I have mine set to disabled.

Have you updated the BIOS? Is this just happening when you restart the computer or is it BSOD then you get that message? It is possible that the BIOS is not recognizing the CPU properly or thinks it should be at a different speed or something of that sort. Have you tried everything on AUTO yet? Set the Memory setting to the XMP should get it to the correct timings.

I am occasionally seeing the same thing about once every 3 weeks with a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 and a Corsair XMS3 16GB kit (4x4GB) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233203 using profile1 (running at 1600). I havent OC'd anything beyond running the memory at what it is rated for using profile1 in the bios (I guess thats using XMP). Any suggestions on how to fix this? Should I not be using profile1 and just copy those settings manually?

My advised to all Overclocker, when you do over clock Gigabyte motherboard try the following:
1. Set bios /Advanvce memory features --> From Turbo to Standard.
2. Since this CPU support Vdroops, try to enable LLC and add some voltage to QPI voltage. (If CPU is Over clock).
3. UPdate the bios to the latest for checking.
4. Set DDR3 voltage to NORMAL.

Gigabyte has released a new bios, F11, that sounds like it should fix this problem. I installed it over the weekend so now have to wait a month or two to see if it solves the problem.

Back