Female Game Developers Weigh In On #GamerGate

snicker... some of them have valid points but many simply ignore the important stuff, like say how many of the major companies pushing the concept sex sell are run by women not men. They mid level staff may be male and held accountable if they had sex in the office on the company dime, but seriously just look at the make up the board of trustees for any major gaming company these women hate. You will start laughing. Usually when you try to slot diversity as a hiring bullet you get people who could not get a job with out it or will exploit the system once there. One of my teachers who knew his shit would pull that crap because he said that it did not make sense not to. One of the things I really did not see eye to eye on. But at the end of the day people knew to focus on hiring people that can do the job and stop giving a crap if they play nice because if everyone is competent you don't need to worry about stepping on toes. It is only when someone is filling a slot because everyone is afraid to fire them least they get sued, as which point you will end up hiring people to the suit your problem children and not understand why the company is not producing the results you want. That is not say different perspective are not important but at the end of the day, I don't care if you are a man, a woman, something or in between because that should not even be part of the consideration unless your target audience is not represented in your teams make up.

Sentence #2: Complains about people being accused of not getting it.

p. solid analysis there imo.

Your snotty arrogance suggests you "get it". Assuming the name "jimmy" implies you're a guy, then you would be one guy that "gets it", meaning the statement that "guys don't get it" is false.

Your snotty arrogance suggests you "get it". Assuming the name "jimmy" implies you're a guy, then you would be one guy that "gets it", meaning the statement that "guys don't get it" is false.

Your overthought analysis suggests you don't "get it". Assuming the name Stilleto implies you're a woman (because stiletto heels, you know) then you would be a woman that doesn't "get it", meaning the statement that "some women get it, some don't" is true.

How am I doing?

I thought gamergate was about the lack of journalistic integrity and ethics in the game industry in general. Why is it being made in to a gender issue?

I thought gamergate was about the lack of journalistic integrity and ethics in the game industry in general. Why is it being made in to a gender issue?

Because gamergate actually got started because a female game dev slept with someone and her ex got jealous. If she had been a man and done exactly the same thing, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

^That is actually very true.... because those websites wouldn't be censoring all this shit and would be constantly trying to defame him, whether or not if he actually did it or not.

But the ex wasn't the ex at the time.

Because gamergate actually got started because a female game dev slept with someone and her ex got jealous. If she had been a man and done exactly the same thing, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
I understand what the catalyst was, that's not what the focus is or should be. Those that want it to be are either co-opting or simply trying the "look, a distraction!" tactic to divert attention from a real issue.

It isn't a surprise to me I've said for sometime that most game "journalist" are glorified bloggers. Glad to see discussion about their lack of professionalism is occurring.

Your overthought analysis suggests you don't "get it". Assuming the name Stilleto implies you're a woman (because stiletto heels, you know)

Actually, a stiletto is a knife, which the heel is named after. Amazing how smart people so often aren't.

Actually, a stiletto is a knife, which the heel is named after. Amazing how smart people so often aren't.

Way to do nothing but insult people when they don't know something related to your username you've probably googled 19 times. It's almost as if you have nothing better to do with your time. ;) (Ponders the thought)

You can be honest here man, if you wear them high heels on your free time, it's okay, we won't judge. :D

Way to do nothing but insult people when they don't know something related to your username you've probably googled 19 times.

I still remember how, after the 18th time I googled my username that I've used for years, I thought "what was that again? stiletto...some sort of snack food? an aquatic mammal? a new brand of designer body spray?" It was that 19th time that really seared it in the ol' neocortex.

I still remember how, after the 18th time I googled my username that I've used for years, I thought "what was that again? stiletto...some sort of snack food? an aquatic mammal? a new brand of designer body spray?" It was that 19th time that really seared it in the ol' neocortex.

I meant when you were looking up something new to wear. :D

Your overthought analysis suggests you don't "get it". Assuming the name Stilleto implies you're a woman (because stiletto heels, you know) then you would be a woman that doesn't "get it", meaning the statement that "some women get it, some don't" is true.

How am I doing?

Are you sure you aren't a woman? the first thing I thought of when i saw stilleto was a knife. lol

Are you sure you aren't a woman? the first thing I thought of when i saw stilleto was a knife. lol

I thought of high heels. Worn by a nice 20 something with long legs that go all the way up and a nice pencil skirt, and a tight shirt with huge tits. Blonde hair and blue eyes. Just bangin' hot.

A knife? Never thought of it.

I guess we all have our priorities. I like hot women, you like ... well, what's the knife for? We might have the same goal. :D

I thought of high heels. Worn by a nice 20 something with long legs that go all the way up and a nice pencil skirt, and a tight shirt with huge tits. Blonde hair and blue eyes. Just bangin' hot.

A knife? Never thought of it.

I guess we all have our priorities. I like hot women, you like ... well, what's the knife for? We might have the same goal. :D

I am not a fan of women in heels so that is why that doesn't even cross my mind.

a nice 20 something with long legs that go all the way up

i-4nmGK6K-1050x10000.jpg

You want to define "Gamer"? Easy. Define it the same way you'd define "Soccer player" or "Engineer" or anything else. A "Soccer player" isn't a person that occasionally kicks a ball around for a few minutes a few times a week in their backyard. Or, the first thing we would ask when someone says "I'm a basketball player" is "oh, so who do you play with?". If the answer is "oh I just shoot hoops in my driveway" then we'd roll our eyes and call them a moron. The situation would be the same if someone said "I play basketball". If they just shot hoops on their own they'd be exaggerating to call themselves a "basketball player".

To generalize, a person that defines themselves partially by their hobby spends a good deal of time and money on that hobby. Downloading candy crush on your iPhone is the sports equivalent to kicking a soccer ball around in your backyard or playing catch with your kid. You're not significantly investing in the hobby to the point that it helps define who you are. I'll switch sports again just to confuse everyone. I don't define myself as a "runner", for instance, even though I run 4-5 days a week and have a decent amount of clothing dedicated to running (winter and summer gear, rain gear, etc). Why? Because it doesn't define me as a person and I don't run any races. I'm not "training" for anything. A person that defines themselves as a "runner" is a person that has goals in mind and knows their mile time for various types of runs. I run just so I don't become fat and running is one of the few things I enjoy as exercise.

So, lets take that to gaming. A person would be defined as a "gamer" if that significantly defined who they are as a person, how they spend their time, and how they spend their money. If someone has multiple shelving units full of video games OR board games then they're probably a "gamer". They've obviously spent a significant amount of their time and money on the act of playing games. If they spend a significant portion of their week playing those games then that helps define them as a gamer. You are not a "gamer" just because you downloaded candy crush or some other app on your phone. You might play games ... but you're not a gamer.

Words have definitions. When you blur the definition to become all-inclusive then the definition loses all meaning. If you include anyone that plays any game, even for a small amount of time, then everyone is a gamer and the word loses all purpose as a word because it just applies to everyone on the planet.

All I could think about when I was reading the article was, "jesus, stfu!!!" then I stopped. And now I really don't care.

Words have definitions. When you blur the definition to become all-inclusive then the definition loses all meaning. If you include anyone that plays any game, even for a small amount of time, then everyone is a gamer and the word loses all purpose as a word because it just applies to everyone on the planet.

Yes; but way before video games existed, a gamer was someone who simply loved and played the games, whatever the game was, he or she would find the game in everything; whether it be hopscotch walking on the way home from work or school, playing drums on old garbage cans, stickball alone in an alley making up which hit got how many points. Or they might like monopoly, poker, horse racing, basketball, etc.. Today, though, the word gamer has been stolen for themselves by those who are rabid fans of mostly first person shooter or role playing video games on consoles and computers. Much the same way that fat, round women have stolen the term 'curvy' which used to mean a woman with an hourglass type figure.

So it applies just as much to the secretary who plays tetris on her phone every spare minute, as it does to the 15 year old who spends every spare cent on a special gaming mouse so he can shoot his way to higher scores.

You want to define "Gamer"? Easy. Define it the same way you'd define "Soccer player" or "Engineer" or anything else. A "Soccer player" isn't a person that occasionally kicks a ball around for a few minutes a few times a week in their backyard. Or, the first thing we would ask when someone says "I'm a basketball player" is "oh, so who do you play with?". If the answer is "oh I just shoot hoops in my driveway" then we'd roll our eyes and call them a moron. The situation would be the same if someone said "I play basketball". If they just shot hoops on their own they'd be exaggerating to call themselves a "basketball player".

To generalize, a person that defines themselves partially by their hobby spends a good deal of time and money on that hobby. Downloading candy crush on your iPhone is the sports equivalent to kicking a soccer ball around in your backyard or playing catch with your kid. You're not significantly investing in the hobby to the point that it helps define who you are. I'll switch sports again just to confuse everyone. I don't define myself as a "runner", for instance, even though I run 4-5 days a week and have a decent amount of clothing dedicated to running (winter and summer gear, rain gear, etc). Why? Because it doesn't define me as a person and I don't run any races. I'm not "training" for anything. A person that defines themselves as a "runner" is a person that has goals in mind and knows their mile time for various types of runs. I run just so I don't become fat and running is one of the few things I enjoy as exercise.

So, lets take that to gaming. A person would be defined as a "gamer" if that significantly defined who they are as a person, how they spend their time, and how they spend their money. If someone has multiple shelving units full of video games OR board games then they're probably a "gamer". They've obviously spent a significant amount of their time and money on the act of playing games. If they spend a significant portion of their week playing those games then that helps define them as a gamer. You are not a "gamer" just because you downloaded candy crush or some other app on your phone. You might play games ... but you're not a gamer.

I'm not sure why I'm having to explain such basic language concepts to you, but here goes: "gamer" is a base word that gets further defined by other words. What you are describing are "hardcore gamers". There are also "professional gamers" who earn money (or attempt to, anyway) by playing video or PC games. There are also "competitive gamers", but not all hardcore gamers are competitive gamers. There are also occasional gamers and casual gamers and other categories of gamers, but they're all gamers. None of these categories of gamers gets the right to claim a single five-letter word as exclusively belonging to them, no matter how much they whine about it.

Using the "soccer player" example was a really bad move on your part. There are one or two billion soccer players who would take great exception to you telling them they are not soccer players just because they haven't made it onto a professional team yet.

Some of the female developers get it, some don't.

One of the big things I've noticed about all these articles is the insistence that this is all perpetrated by men against women and guys "just don't get it" which isn't true at all.

Men have been subjected to the EXACT same things for years and years. The trolling, hate speech, death threats, swatting....and I'm just talking about your average CoD deathmatch session. :D If I moved every time someone threatened me I'd live on the moon by now. If I called the FBI every time someone complained about me being a dick, I'd be the director of National Security.

That said, pretending everyone is like that and lumping us all into one category is just lame.

Uh oh, you're in dangerous territory Steve. A couple inches farther and you'll be labelled a misogynist.

I skimmed the responses. TLDR: Female devs claim Zoe was targeted simply for being a woman who had sex. Giant falsehood, obviously, because it was the ethical issue of exchanging something for good reviews (rather than some "oppressive patriarchal outrage" at female sexuality) that pissed people off. A man found to have done the same thing would be subject to the same criticisms. Of course he'd never have the chance, because women--not men--are the sole gatekeepers of sexuality. But let's ignore that empowerment entirely, amirite?

Female devs also feel like they are under attack, apparently, and that "men" are the culprit. OK, just lump us all in there. Criticize pervasive ethical issues and the poor quality of gaming journalism? Sick misogynist male gamer.

Many people are fed up with gaming journalism and SJWs. What does that have to do with game developers? Make solid games and we'll praise the hell out of you, woman or man!

Damnit is everybody blocking vpn's now? People need to stop abusing those. At least I can finally read the article..

Many people are fed up with gaming journalism and SJWs. What does that have to do with game developers? Make solid games and we'll praise the hell out of you, woman or man!

Yeah...okay, except when Assassin's Creed came out and everyone found out that Jade Raymond was one of the developers, the discussion on [H] wasn't like "Oh look, a female developer, good for her!" it was, "Man that chick is hot, I'd bang her".

I agree with you that the Zoe issue wasn't about her sleeping around, it was about ethics, but let's be real here...a bunch of anonymous guys on the Internet often end up being misogynist as fuck. Whether or not that's just an online-only facade, I don't know, but it's still kind of fucked up.

can someone who read the article please post a TL;DR for each of the developers? They are very verbose for developers.

A bunch of alleged comments from alleged female game developers vilifying men but since they are all anonymous, for all I know, escapist made it up.

A bunch of alleged comments from alleged female game developers vilifying men but since they are all anonymous, for all I know, escapist made it up.

Yes, do go ahead and accuse The Escapist, of all places, of journalistic ethics violations in their coverage of gamergate. But wait, let me pop some popcorn before you start describing in detail just how anti-gamergate they are...

Uh oh, you're in dangerous territory Steve. A couple inches farther and you'll be labelled a misogynist.

I skimmed the responses. TLDR: Female devs claim Zoe was targeted simply for being a woman who had sex. Giant falsehood, obviously, because it was the ethical issue of exchanging something for good reviews (rather than some "oppressive patriarchal outrage" at female sexuality) that pissed people off. A man found to have done the same thing would be subject to the same criticisms. Of course he'd never have the chance, because women--not men--are the sole gatekeepers of sexuality. But let's ignore that empowerment entirely, amirite?

Female devs also feel like they are under attack, apparently, and that "men" are the culprit. OK, just lump us all in there. Criticize pervasive ethical issues and the poor quality of gaming journalism? Sick misogynist male gamer.

unless Zoe was masturbating or having sex with other women, the fact that the criticism is mainly focused on her rather than the men she slept with undermines your position

Actually, the only people who are still focused on her are her group. Most people are just talking about gaming journalism in general.

Back