Fedora Core 2 switch to Slackware

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
I am a new linux user who is messing with FC2. I like it but hear lots of great things about slackware and was wondering if you guys recommend a newby linux user swapping FC 2 to Slackware Linux ?

Thank for any detail info

FC2 is rotten, in both stability and performance. It lost ground to Windows in benchmarks (take benchmarks with a grain of salt :rolleyes: ) but has has lots of app changes for the worse, and a lot of the stuff is just lain unstable. By the time I was done tweaking mine, I had recompiled most large items.

Use slackware. I personally like it, but would also recommend it on the sake it is not FC2.

I just installed slackware 10. It is very nice. Don't be intimidated by the installer because it isn't graphical, It's actually less of a pain in the ass to use than the fedora installer. Just take your time and do things right, and you'll have a very stable, and quick OS that should work right out of the box depending on your hardware.

yeah i am a big fan of slack in general, the install may be a bit harder than fedora, but IMO it is worth it. You don't have to deal with pesky RPM's (although there are still binaries if you don't wanna compile)

Try slack out.. if you need help I am sure we can help you get through it :)

Why does everyone spit on RPM's - they just hate them...I dont understand why

people dont like rpm's because they dont offer the same "prefromance" of compiled for source software, in my opinion i would rather use apt-rpm to install Xine over compliling it from source :-p I am willling to loose a little preformance in order for the speed and convience.

I use & love apt-get for Fedora Core 2 but I installed it via RPM if that makes any sence :D

Back