Fastest VPN? (Torrenting)

t1337duder

Gawd
Has anyone researched to see which VPN provides the best speeds, specifically for torrenting? Legally, of course. I understand the torrent part may be redundant, but I figured it was worth mentioning for this specific use case. I've noticed that it's pretty difficult to find any informed opinions on any of this from people who aren't affiliate marketers (or influenced by dishonest marketing practices).

Has anyone researched to see which VPN provides the best speeds, specifically for torrenting? Legally, of course. I understand the torrent part may be redundant, but I figured it was worth mentioning for this specific use case. I've noticed that it's pretty difficult to find any informed opinions on any of this from people who aren't affiliate marketers (or influenced by dishonest marketing practices).
You shouldn't need a VPN for legal torrenting. You'll get a better response in the Cord Cutters subforum of genmay here though.

I don't use a VPN for my torrents but I use Quad 9 as my DNS and generally get higher and more reliable torrent speeds through 9.9.9.9 than I do my default comcast DNS. I also haven't gotten a C&D letter from comcast in years despite easily torrenting 1-3TB a month, but I mostly torrent from super secret invite only torrent sites.

You shouldn't need a VPN for legal torrenting. You'll get a better response in the Cord Cutters subforum of genmay here though.
I think the necessity of security and exposing one's IP to the public would be a healthy debate for another thread. Surely the most good faith way for you to start that sort of debate is if you shared your IP address with everyone, first.

Reactions: gvx64
like this
I don't use a VPN for my torrents but I use Quad 9 as my DNS and generally get higher and more reliable torrent speeds through 9.9.9.9 than I do my default comcast DNS. I also haven't gotten a C&D letter from comcast in years despite easily torrenting 1-3TB a month, but I mostly torrent from super secret invite only torrent sites.
That's a good tip, thank you.

I think the necessity of security and exposing one's IP to the public would be a healthy debate for another thread. Surely the most good faith way for you to start that sort of debate is if you shared your IP address with everyone, first.
For legal torrents? No one cares what your ip is. For warez/piracy like you want, yes, it can be risky. Especially when it's linked to a user ID, which a public torrent for Linux isn't.

Note this part of my post though, unless you're too cool to shell for a genmay sub here to talk about this otherwise off topic idea:

You'll get a better response in the Cord Cutters subforum of genmay here though.

For legal torrents? No one cares what your ip is. For warez/piracy like you want, yes, it can be risky. Especially when it's linked to a user ID, which a public torrent for Linux isn't.

Note this part of my post though, unless you're too cool to shell for a genmay sub here to talk about this otherwise off topic idea:
You've never heard of people scanning public IPs for exposed ports? Yikes...

Most of us know better than to leave exposed ports in the first place. You might want to reconsider piracy if you can't even do that. Yikes...

As I said, go to cord Cutters with this stuff if you're serious. Your ip is already exposed publicly anyway.

You'll get a better response in the Cord Cutters subforum of genmay here though.
For the third time. Keep flailing for good advice on public forums if you wish though...

Most of us know better than to leave exposed ports in the first place. You might want to reconsider piracy if you can't even do that. Yikes...

As I said, go to cord Cutters with this stuff if you're serious. Your ip is already exposed publicly anyway.

Keep flailing for good advice on public forums if you wish though...
I've already gotten plenty of good advice on public forums. There's nobody or nothing you're protecting here, sorry to shatter your illusions. I'm not desperate for the advice in the same way you are desperate to redirect the discussion.

I've already gotten plenty of good advice on public forums. There's nobody or nothing you're protecting here, sorry to shatter your illusions. I'm not desperate for the advice in the same way you are desperate to redirect the discussion.
You sounded desperate in your OP. Ignore my advice if you want and wallow. I was only offering a good place to get the info you seek. P. S. Torrents aren't the way to get what you're after anyway :p.

I've noticed that it's pretty difficult to find any informed opinions on any of this from people who aren't affiliate marketers (or influenced by dishonest marketing practices).

You sounded desperate in your OP. Ignore my advice if you want and wallow. I was only offering a good place to get the info you seek. P. S. Torrents aren't the way to get what you're after anyway :p.
Eh, all you've done the entire thread is make a series of incorrect assumptions and continue to return when I point out that you're wrong. And then you accuse me of desperation? If there's a rule against a thread like this, then simply say so. Otherwise I'll gladly share my findings with everyone so they don't need to get hassled about paywalls and piracy for asking a straight forward question.

Eh, all you've done the entire thread is make a series of incorrect assumptions and continue to return when I point out that you're wrong. And then you accuse me of desperation? If there's a rule against a thread like this, then simply say so. Otherwise I'll gladly share my findings with everyone so they don't need to get hassled about paywalls and piracy for asking a straight forward question.
Meh, your loss, and no one is fooled by your claims it isn't for piracy. I again was just offering a good place for you to get your questions answered but now I hope you don't sub for GenMay, you'd be a bad thing for it. Keep torrenting...

EDIT: so what exactly are you legally torrenting that you feel you need a VPN for? I think most here use nordvpn for torrents, but those suck for what you're doing.

I use Nord VPN. It is a torrent-friendly VPN with many torrent-optimized servers. I use it with my firestick. There are other good VPNs I found out from this source, but Nord seems the fastest for me. Also, it has a dual-layered security for extra protection.

Last edited:
I never got a C&D from Verizon. Comcast sent me a entire certified pack in the mail for my Linux downloading like 10 years ago. Some company was threatening to sue me but Comcast didn't give them my info. I threw it in the trash and never heard anything from it again.

Reactions: gvx64
like this
your DNS servers have nothing to do with your final throughput of speed, at all. DNS just tells your computer where the server is to connect to and all DNS providers are going to give you the same response when requested. Unless a service has geo based DNS resolution and one provider connected you to some far server vs a closer one, but that is a failure on the end point not having proper geo ip info for your IP.

Again, irrelevant. If you have ports forwarded, one would hope you have the knowledge and experience to also know how to protect those ports as best as possible, if you have your ports forwarded for torrenting so you can seed, nice that you share back, but a VPN wont help here either. But again, has nothing to do with torrenting, legal or not. People do not go through their utorrent client, export the IPs and port scan them...

Your IP is being hit thousands of times a day by scripted bots scanning every single port under the sun....

If you want real protection because of being paranoid, get a hosted server from seedbox.eu or something and use that, and then just SFTP into that to download your legal torrent...

Honestly, lots of people in countries with free-speech-unfriendly governments use VPN's daily and not necessarily for anything illegal, just for an extra layer of privacy against the increased scrutiny. VPN's are a pain and I definitely get wanting to find a fast and reliable one that can accommodate all of your internet activities (which torrenting may or may not be a part of).

I use ProtonVPN, currently the free version. I am thinking about paying a bit more though for access to the extra servers in a wider range of countries, though. I find that I get kicked off the US servers quite often when they hit capacity. Also, I live in Canada and the US servers aren't that great for me since some sites have access issues.

Honestly, lots of people in countries with free-speech-unfriendly governments use VPN's daily and not necessarily for anything illegal, just for an extra layer of privacy against the increased scrutiny. VPN's are a pain and I definitely get wanting to find a fast and reliable one that can accommodate all of your internet activities (which torrenting may or may not be a part of).

I use ProtonVPN, currently the free version. I am thinking about paying a bit more though for access to the extra servers in a wider range of countries, though. I find that I get kicked off the US servers quite often when they hit capacity. Also, I live in Canada and the US servers aren't that great for me since some sites have access issues.
I also signed up for the free Proton. I have a vpn at home that tunnels me home. But to access content from other countries VOD services I too am thinking about expanding to the paid option.

torguard's whole thing is fast enough for torrents. I've been with them for years and been happy. updates have slowed down a bit though. you can find 50% off coupons, it's $15/6 months

PrivateVPN. Good price works as advertised.

You NEED port forwarding supported on the VPN if you want fast speeds. When you use a torrent client with a closed port, you can only connect to people with open ports. With an open port, you can connect to people regardless of their port forwarding status. Allowing you to connect to more clients = more speed for your Linux ISOs.

I recommend PIA. They have numerous servers and support port forwarding on quite a few of them. They open source all their apps and even have scripts available for Linux and FreeBSD if you're running headless. Here is a referral link to get 30 days free. PIA retains no logs and have updated most/all? of their servers to read-only boot images and use RAM vs a traditional server with dedicated storage. PIA has unlimited device connections per account too, so you can add it on all your smart TVs, Android/iOS, and any computer OS.

Back