Fastest Video Card HTPC Compatible

Mercutio

Weaksauce
I'm looking to build an HTPC for gaming and want to use the absolute fastest GPU possible. If possible, I'd like to use two of them.

What are my options?

Uh, wrong subforum. This is "HTPC," not "video card." I really don't see why you put this here.

Uh, wrong subforum. This is "HTPC," not "video card." I really don't see why you put this here.

Not needed CrimandEvil if you want to redirect him please do it in a civil manner please.

For the OP you cant just ask a question so basically. There are things we need to know.

First what is YOUR definition of an HTPC? Can it be as loud as an Xbox 360? Or does fan noise annoy you during video playback?

Second. how big do you want this to be? To use 2 cards you need a large ATX board but most MicroATX boards have atleast 1 PCI express slot and are rather compact.

Third how do you plan to cool all this?

By HTPC compatible, I mean that it should fit into a typical large HTPC case. It's my understanding that HTPC cases are quite a bit smaller than typical mid towers and thus won't accommodate all video cards.

Noise is a concern, but it's my impression that I can utilize aftermarket cooling solutions to keep that under control. Though I imagine that an HTPC case would limit my choice of cooler as well.

One potential build could use two GTX260s; I like these cards, as they stay pretty cool even under load and are remarkably quiet. From 10ft away, I've found them inaudible under load. Problem is, I don't know if any HTPC cases will fit a GTX260 - let alone two. Additionally, I'll have to do some research into the current crop of cards; it's possible (probable?) that there are faster cards which can match or best the 260 in the temp/noise department.

Are there any HTPC cases which fit full sized video cards? It would be nice to use a mid tower or even a large tower, but that just won't cut it for my living room.

Last edited:
By HTPC compatible, I mean that it should fit into a typical large HTPC case. It's my understanding that HTPC cases are quite a bit smaller than typical mid towers and thus won't accommodate all video cards.

Noise is a concern, but it's my impression that I can utilize aftermarket cooling solutions to keep that under control. Though I imagine that an HTPC case would limit my choice of cooler as well.

Thanks for the helpful responses.

The 4550 is quite powerful and is very quiet being passive. However if you have time to wait before doing this I suggest waiting and seeing what ATI gets out for the lower end portion of the 5x series. It likely wont be much longer than October.

If the OP is looking to install two GTX 260's in a HTPC case, then I don't think a single HD 4550 is even a consideration.

Last edited:
I think most HTPC cases, like my Silverstone Crown CW02, can fit up to 9.25" video cards. Therefore, the most powerful ATI card that can fit in my HTPC is the HD 4850 and the most powerful nVidia card would be the GTX 250. This is if I was serious about gaming on it. Right now it merely has a passively cooled 9600GT which is good enough.

Unfortunately, you will have to settle on the HD 4850 or GTX 250 unless you can find a deep HTPC case. The problem with a deep HTPC case is it may no fit in most entertainment centers. Basically it means you need to look for a HTPC case that is about 20" deep.

My Silverstone Crown CW02 is 17" and technically it should be able to fit larger video cards since the DVD drive rests above a space where the video card can slip in. I would not push anything larger than a 10" long card though since some space is still necessary for the 6/8 pin power connectors.

The Moneual LAB Black / Silver Aluminum MonCaso 932T ATX Media Center is the largest and cheapest ($500) HTPC case that I know of; measuring 18.5" deep. I was considering this case, but 18.5" was a bit too deep for my tastes, the built in color LCD screen is nice enough, but I thought it would be too distracting. However, the ultimate reason why I did not buy this case was because it only has 5 drive bays. The Silverstone CW02 has 7 drive bays.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811280007

ATX HTPC case? Does that not defeat the whole purpose?

Nope not for me. I specifically looked for HTPC cases that can fit a full size (not extended) ATX mobo since that allows me to simply transfer the innards of my primary PC into my HTPC when I decide to upgrade my primary PC. It seems I'm upgrading about every 2 or 3 years.

Good info Jaguar. Nice to see someone else who's working with full ATX HTPCs.

My home theater setup can fit a 20" deep case with good room to spare for cabling. If I go with one that large, you figure I'll be able to fit basically any normal full sized card?

First you gotta find something that is 20" deep. The deepest I've seen is 18.5" and it would be best to call the manufacturer to determine the longest video card that can fit into the case.

thread-delivers1.jpg

Why is so hard for people to understand that HTPC does not = gaming

If you want a gaming rig, build a gaming rig. 95% of the game rigs will work as a big noisy hot loud HTPC just fine.

Last edited:
Why is so hard for people to understand that HTPC does not = gaming

If you want a gaming rig, build a gaming rig. 95% of the game rigs will work as a big noisy hot loud HTPC just fine.
Well, it's very possible to make a gaming HTPC rig but you have to comprise a lot. Wireless keyboards aren't as good as wired ones, etc. I tried it, hated it and then rebuild my desktop gaming rig and all was right in the world. :p

It's just one of those things; just because you can doesn't mean you should. Like building a server/HTPC. It seems like a good idea but in reality it's just dumb.

ROFL. [Another person] Calling a gaming rig a HTPC cuz it's got a flat case.

We have designed many HTPC cases to accommodate the longest consumer graphics cards we could get our hands on during development. The smallest SilverStone HTPC case that can fit the likes of GTX 295, 4870X2 is our GD02/GD02MT:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=gd02&area=
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=gd02mt&area=

From our perspective, it doesn't really matters if you have a purpose built gaming rig or a multimedia rig sitting in your home theater, if they are built using PC components, they can all be considered HTPCs.

From our perspective, it doesn't really matters if you have a purpose built gaming rig or a multimedia rig sitting in your home theater,

Nice spin there....from my perspective you need to sell as many overpriced (albeit nice) cases as possible

If they are built using PC components, they can all be considered HTPCs

No shit really? pretty sure you can replace HTPC in that prase with any of the following. Gaming, workstations, servers, Apple.....

You've missed the point, it's the purpose that drives hardware selection not the other way around.

An "HTPC" with a 295 or 4890 is just a mulitasking machine. The point several of us have been making is a compromise in the specific purpose of the machine defeats that specific purpose of the machine.

A flat blade screwdriver is designed to drive screws. I know that because it right there in the name...but you can multitask if you want. I've seen'em used as prybars, chisels, punches, drifts, keys, lawn darts....

Everyone needs to spend several hundred bucks on a "home theater" pc case just because it's a desktop style case. Those touch screens are awesome when you're sitting on the couch and everything is racked 20 feet away. :p

Everyone needs to spend several hundred bucks on a "home theater" pc case just because it's a desktop style case. Those touch screens are awesome when you're sitting on the couch and everything is racked 20 feet away. :p

OMG! If you had told me earlier I would've ditched the wireless remote control that isn't tied to wires and shoots radar signals! I knew I was doing something wrong there! Thx for suggestion + rep.

gaming on a htpc is the business, after sitting back with a mouse and keyboard playing on a huge screen being hunched over your desktop pc looking at a 20 inch monitor seems like going back in time.

I imagine you can find a case to fit any hardware solution and still be in your home theatre. From this thread I can see there are a lot of considerations around what constitutes a "class" of computers.

gaming on a PC in a home theater is the business, after sitting back with a mouse and keyboard playing on a huge screen being hunched over your desktop pc looking at a 20 inch monitor seems like going back in time.

FIXED

Funny I sit back and game on my gaming rig with my keyboard and mouse on a 37" in my man cave with no issues what so ever.

Tony,

Thank you for the info on the GD02. I noticed that SilverStone only lists GPU compatibility for a couple of cases, any chance that more model profiles will be updated with more complete information soon?

Regarding wireless vs. wired keyboard & mouse,

I've been gaming in my living room for years now. Far superior to sitting at a desk. It is correct that wireless keyboards and mice don't cut it for gaming - there is too much lag no matter what tech you use. So I've settled on using a wireless key+mouse when using the HTPC for media, and switching to a wired key+mouse for gaming. A bit of a hassle, but worth it.

If one absolutely must use a wireless key+mouse for gaming, I highly recommend something with bluetooth instead of RF. The Logitech key+mouse combo (with the Revolution mouse included) has the least lag of any wireless solution I've yet used. And I've used quite a few.

Fortunately, Samsung plasmas with VGA in have essentially zero lag. Probably less than most high quality PC LCD screens.

Thread Trolls,

Your whining amuses me. Please keep it up.

Last edited:
Back