Fast copy/move

Droc

2[H]4U
I have run into a situation where I am trying to move a massive amount of photos(4TB, many million files), and my method of copy and paste seems to chug along very slow. Even the analyzing process is slow.
Like if I copy movies to a USB drive, if I copy and move 3 at a time, its slower than if I copy one at a time and start the next as soon as its finished.

Is there any recommended programs that can do this faster?

I have run into a situation where I am trying to move a massive amount of photos(4TB, many million files), and my method of copy and paste seems to chug along very slow. Even the analyzing process is slow.
Like if I copy movies to a USB drive, if I copy and move 3 at a time, its slower than if I copy one at a time and start the next as soon as its finished.

Is there any recommended programs that can do this faster?
robocopy "O:\Original Folder" "T:\Target Folder" /mt /R:0 /W:1

Robocopy with the /mt flag does a multi-threaded copy. Works better for tons of small files because it's not spending most of its queuing up each individual file.

I would strongly suggest you use copy -> verify -> delete instead of just move for your pictures. :)

Dunno if you are moving, or copying, but thread title includes move and that makes me nervous.

back in the days i used Copy faster. which whas brilliant because it bypassed the windows cache and it didnt hamper the system as much when copying large amount of files.

but since windows 7 i haven't been able to feel any differences. Does terra copy really works ?
any benchmarks on this ?

i might see if i could make my own alternate copy method but i really dont want to spend the time on it to figure out windows is pretty good already to do it

Last edited:
If I have to copy many small files from one linux box to another (source code mostly), I pipe the files into tar, then into gzip and then transfer them through ssh. Reverse on the other side.

Back