Far Cry Video Card

Originally posted by IYIENACE
I don't know who you are referring to, but all settings card AND game were at maximum including surround and my monitors max resolution. :mad:

I didn't go into the ini and alter anything. It's just like it would be if you D/L and installed it.

I wasn't speaking to anyone specifically, but I saw multiple people talking about having their game on all of the highest settings and showing screenshots. There IS a higher setting on water quality than "Very High", and it seems a lot of people are missing it.

Go into the very first training level, pull up one of the saved games, and go drive over to the water. Swim out into the water, and look back to the shore...
http://www.hyundaiproject.com/farcry/FarCry0007.jpg
Can you see the trees in the reflection? Can you see the grass? Can you see the vehicle you drove in? If the water isn't reflecting all these items, you aren't playing on the highest settings.

Go BACK into your options menu, and look at the water quality... There's a setting called "Ultra high", and that's what can really make the system crawl unless you've got a pretty decent machine overall -- video card, CPU and memory capacity.

I have everything set to High or better, except water, which is at Ultra High, with hardware 3d sound, and its smooth 95% of the time. the other 5% is when a lot of stuff starts happening (Explosions, etc)

Originally posted by Albuquerque
Why is it that, of all the virtual badasses that have posted in here, only ONE OF YOU is playing with water settings on Ultra high? How can you tell? Look at the trees, grass, and smoke/fire/enemies in the water reflection... You can't see them in the reflection unless your water settings are on Ultra High.

Need an example? http://www.hyundaiproject.com/farcry/FarCry0007.jpg
See the trees? The truck? This is water on ULTRA high. If your rig is badass, then you need to enable this :) You also need to hit the console and do the "e_water_ocean_sun_reflection 1" for the proper sun glare effect off the water...

Next, why the HELL would you disable shadows if your rig is all that? Shadows are half the badass creepy part of this whole game. Need a demonstration? http://www.hyundaiproject.com/farcry/FarCry0003.jpg
It might be hard to see, but that's a bad dude floating in knee-deep water, with his shadow being cast onto the ground and being then further rippled by the turbulence in the water. Look at his creepy-ass fingers in the reflection! How could you live without that? :p

And finally for all these "uber badass" rigs, you need to start posting some r_displayinfo 1 screenshots... Having your game on "very high" would normally give you a screenshot something like this: http://www.hyundaiproject.com/farcry/FarCry0013.jpg
Yeah, six million polys per second, Bleh! You need to start tweakin a little, Very High just isn't enough! :D http://www.hyundaiproject.com/farcry/FarCry0012.jpg

Let's pump THIRTY MILLION polys outta this 9800! The difference? Very High (and Ultra High on the water) plus the following:
e_terrain_lod_ratio 1
e_water_ocean_sun_reflection 1
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio 2.5
r_bumpselfshadow 1

Make your rig cry! Make your eyes water from the beauty! And post some screenies of it all!

i put all those codes in to make the water look more reflective and all that other stuff and restarted the game...i dont c any difference. your suppose to put it in the console right? the screen that comes up when u pust the ` sign in the game.

My specs are as in my sig, I'm having all the settings at max, but texture detail at medium running at 1024x768 with no AA/AF.
I wanna play at 1280x1024, but it kinda lags at that res.

Why?? :(

Originally posted by evilnickwong
My specs are as in my sig, I'm having all the settings at max, but texture detail at medium running at 1024x768 with no AA/AF.
I wanna play at 1280x1024, but it kinda lags at that res.

Why?? :(

Poor programming. :)

Originally posted by emorphien
Poor programming. :)

its only the most detailed 3d engine ever written and it performs surprisingly well for what it does

lets all be serious and stop with the jokes and sarcasim.

lets all get back onto the subject before the mods close the thread for idiotic behavior

We know that Far Cry performs much better with 1 gig of system ram as opposed to 512. Has anyone checked to see if it performs better with 256 megs of video ram instead of 128?

-dB

It for sure runs smoother with 1 gig. I had 512 upgraded to gig and :) Nice difference. Especially loading times. I wonder about the 256mb vid memory.

I just bumped from 9800np 128mb to a 9800Pro 256mb (XT core) and noticed basically no difference over several different locations in the game.

Upgrading system RAM usually only speeds up loading times, does it affect the FPS in Far Cry as well?

Some locations are OK for me to get about 60-100 fps, but in some of the outdoor levels, I drop to 25-35 fps! ANd this is only at 1024x768 with about 5 million polys.

Is it just me or is my 9800 Pro feelin a lil slow? :(

Because of the extreme view distance, especially when traversing the landscape by some form of vehicle, having the extra ram can really help out your framerates bigtime. It can also help out intermittent jerkiness too...

Originally posted by evilnickwong
Upgrading system RAM usually only speeds up loading times, does it affect the FPS in Far Cry as well?

Some locations are OK for me to get about 60-100 fps, but in some of the outdoor levels, I drop to 25-35 fps! ANd this is only at 1024x768 with about 5 million polys.

Is it just me or is my 9800 Pro feelin a lil slow? :(

It´s a past. When you are gaming you don´t want your harddrive to be accessed all the time. Flight simmers has long known what a lot of RAM can do for your performance. Far Cry is the same. If you read the recommended spec it even recommends 1 gig of RAM so that should tell you something how memory intensive this game is.

I don´t think the 9800 PRO is slow if you look at what detail it renders. Your 9800 PRO is perfectly normal. In doors with everything maxed out without antialiasing I generally get 30-35 in doors.

about the memory... when u play with 512 you will experiance lag. when you play with 1 gig its smooth. the memory has just about everything to do with the game as the video card. if you where running 256 memory and a 9800xt you would experiance lag like no ever. the memory (256) isnt enough to support the game as well as the video card.

Originally posted by DRJ1014
about the memory... when u play with 512 you will experiance lag. when you play with 1 gig its smooth. the memory has just about everything to do with the game as the video card. if you where running 256 memory and a 9800xt you would experiance lag like no ever. the memory (256) isnt enough to support the game as well as the video card.

Yup your max fps won´t go up but your min fps definiatly will and that is what really matters.

Back