Far Cry source code has leaked online

The problem with more recent Ubisoft games is it isn't practical to use much of the new abilities you get. Which makes them almost pointless. FC6 is again a good example with the outposts. Your options are killing things from the air if you have a helicopter, or driving up and shooting everyone which ends the activity in around 45 seconds. I think I completed some outposts in around 20 seconds. Comparing that to FC3, there were outposts near the water where you could tell that an under water insertion and stealth approach was an option. FC5/6 also had odd situations where there were over watch points but had map props obscuring the area. FC5 had some of the same mechanics like take downs from below, but I only had an opportunity to use it 1-2 times in the entire game because the map/mission set ups seldom allowed for the opportunity.
See I took most everything via stealth in FC6, hell 5/ND, 4, and even 3. Just felt easier to do so, albeit longer than just going in their guns blazing. It's really hard to get out of that rut too, one of the first rifles you find the tutorial even makes you put as silencer on it, and except for getting armor piercing bullets and a better silencer and scope there's no real reason to ever change that rifle out as it 1 shot kills with any headshot, now it doesn't have the absolute range as a regular sniper rifle but it works just as good for most things. Switch it up to a rifle that's fully auto and I feel like I'm wasting so much ammo as everyone takes multiple hits and the gun tends to pull quite a bit. I've tried playing the John Rambo approach to these games and it always felt so much more difficult to do, silent and stealthy and the only things you need to worry about is where the enemy are and what's your cover, things like ammo supply, health, not so much.

I dare someone to try replaying this. I replayed it a year or two ago and holy shit is it hard. Mostly because the enemy aiming is so ridiculously on-point, but it was fun.

FarCry's sniper rifle was awesome. All the weapons were pretty awesome actually.
I remember towards the end of the first level when you see the ship that you had to board. I camped out on the island, put my m4 (or w/e it was called in game) into semi-auto mode and picked off the enemies on the ship one by one. Super fun times, and I always liked the way that gun sounded in semi mode, sniper had a cool sound also.

Far Cry 2's only real problem, is that enemies respawn way too quickly. You spend a great deal of effort and fun, to take out an encamptment. Leave-----then come right back, and its populated as if you had never been there.

It was a pretty bad problem to have. But, the game is otherwise very creative and took some risks.

I dare someone to try replaying this. I replayed it a year or two ago and holy shit is it hard. Mostly because the enemy aiming is so ridiculously on-point, but it was fun.

I played through it a while ago, and it does get crazy in the later levels. Doing the swamp ride without exploiting anything took me a ridiculous number of attempts before I memorized everything and pulled off all the perfect shots needed while RNG fortune (because even with perfect firing in that section, you still need that on higher difficulties) was in my favour. Apparently, the Steam (and probably GoG) version of the game, 1.4, makes the enemy AI more difficult. I know that when I played it, the late-game difficulty was masochist level. On medium and lower difficulties, it might still be pretty challenging while not being frustrating.

Real Far Cry 1 / Downgrade to Patch v.1.33 guide

What's supposedly wrong with patch 1.4: "Enemy npcs have crazy improved to "hear" and "see" you through walls and shoot and killing you, which make an gameplay to totaly frustration, partly nightmare."

Far Cry Patch 1.4:

"How do I roll back, before the update? The AI really kills this game for me."
"But if you just play SP get 1.4.1 unofficial patch, just google it."
"If you have a 64 bit system try the AMD64 patches described on this forum. Optimized for more modern PCs, adds better textures and some extra map areas. Reverts to v1.32, the best SP Official patch for FC."

I guess it's a good thing that the source code that released is for version 1.34, and not 1.4.

I've never really liked any of the Far Cry games up until 5, and by some extension 3. The first one was only neat because it was the first wide open FPS of its type plus SM3.0 patch and HDR, but as others have noted - v1.4 has a brutal level of difficulty towards the end. Also, agree that I've had more fun in FC5 than I ever did in 2.

Last edited:
Hopefully we'll get some good source ports in the future that can fix some of the fundamental problems the game has.

Be aware that the digital versions of the first game has the last patch released, which completely breaks the single player game. AI can see and shoot you through walls. You need to install the AMD 64-bit patch to fix the game. I think the GOG version comes with the AMD patch already installed, which would make their version the best on the market (just like Crysis).

FC1 is an absolute nightmare on the hardest difficulty. I am pretty sure it is impossible to beat the game on it. People who have made it to the end know what I'm talking about (the sprint to the bottom of the mountain). I think the game is more fun on easy, to be honest, but it's manageable on normal. And it's not the human enemies I'm talking about. They are actually pretty fun to fight against on hard.

https://hardforum.com/threads/crysis-4.2017194/

FC1 was good in the first half. It was dogshit in the second half. All that fun, emergent gameplay you're introduced to at the start gets completely thrown out the window when the mutants start showing up. It turns into Serious Sam, only without the fun factor.
I do agree that the first half is better than the second half. Having said that, I would probably say that for most games out there. I prefer concise and unique gameplay experiences. I hate repetition. Far Cry 1 progressed for me in a way where I didn't hate it.

It doesn't get much love but Far Cry Instincts for the Xbox was pretty sweet. Easily my 2nd favorite Far Cry game.

Far Cry 2, on the other hand, feels nothing like the first Far Cry game. It felt like another 'outpost'-filled yet otherwise empty open-world Ubisoft game. Completely cookie cutter stuff. Crap story that takes itself too seriously (as always). And every Far Cry game afterwards was modeled after FC2.

To be honest, I consider Crysis to be a proper sequel to Far Cry. Where Far Cry 2 is Far Cry in name only, Crysis captured much of what worked about Far Cry and directly expanded upon it. There are some obvious story similarities as well.

See I took most everything via stealth in FC6, hell 5/ND, 4, and even 3. Just felt easier to do so, albeit longer than just going in their guns blazing. It's really hard to get out of that rut too, one of the first rifles you find the tutorial even makes you put as silencer on it, and except for getting armor piercing bullets and a better silencer and scope there's no real reason to ever change that rifle out as it 1 shot kills with any headshot, now it doesn't have the absolute range as a regular sniper rifle but it works just as good for most things. Switch it up to a rifle that's fully auto and I feel like I'm wasting so much ammo as everyone takes multiple hits and the gun tends to pull quite a bit. I've tried playing the John Rambo approach to these games and it always felt so much more difficult to do, silent and stealthy and the only things you need to worry about is where the enemy are and what's your cover, things like ammo supply, health, not so much.
I have a similar approach except I play these types of games on the hardest difficulty, there the guns blazing approach does not work at all. You have to be sneaky, and if hell breaks loose it becomes a coin toss whether you survive or not. It makes the game extremely realistic, and what would be a mediocre shooter on easy becomes an excellent cat and mouse game with the AI.
To be honest, I consider Crysis to be a proper sequel to Far Cry. Where Far Cry 2 is Far Cry in name only, Crysis captured much of what worked about Far Cry and directly expanded upon it. There are some obvious story similarities as well.
Exactly, Crysis is much closer to FarCry than any of the ubisoft flavored ones. While those aren't all bad either they can't hold a candle to Crysis. And when it comes to ubisoft I think Ghost Recon Wildlands and Break Point are far superior than their Far Cry series.

The first one was only neat because it was the first wide open FPS of its type
The original Far Cry to me stuck out at the time because of the graphics. It was the same year as all the below games and between Doom 3 and Half Life 2 the graphics I feel in 2004 really were a huge jump. Far Cry was the first game that made me say "wow."

2004 PC Games.jpg

The original Far Cry to me stuck out at the time because of the graphics. It was the same year as all the below games and between Doom 3 and Half Life 2 the graphics If eel in 2004 really were a huge jump. Far Cry was the first game that made me say "wow."

View attachment 581910
2004 was definitely an epic year in gaming.

Everybody remembers Half-Life 2 as the first DirectX 9.0c/Shader Model 3.0 game on the market, but Far Cry beat it to the punch by 3 months with an update to patch 1.2. Crytek actually jumped the gun and released it a couple weeks before DirectX 9.0c was actually made available to the public.

The original Far Cry to me stuck out at the time because of the graphics. It was the same year as all the below games and between Doom 3 and Half Life 2 the graphics I feel in 2004 really were a huge jump. Far Cry was the first game that made me say "wow."
I think Far Cry might have been the first game that instead of embracing the cartoon-y nonsense videogame look had actual realistic graphics.

Everybody remembers Half-Life 2 as the first DirectX 9.0c/Shader Model 3.0 game on the market, but Far Cry beat it to the punch by 3 months with an update to patch 1.2. Crytek actually jumped the gun and released it a couple weeks before DirectX 9.0c was actually made available to the public.
It was the first game afaik to use geometry instancing too. Originally the trees in the distance were sprites, but with some ini editing and console commands you could enable them to be rendered in full 3D on Radeon, and it had almost zero frame rate hit due to the geometry instancing.

Also Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines that year which was also a "Source" engine game released before Half Life 2 which I think makes it the first Source Engine game to release at least widely. I really hope Bloodlines 2 doesn't get f'ed up with all the delays it's seen however I am only remaining cautiously optimistic about it because the 2004 Bloodlines game is arguably one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

Also Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines that year which was also a "Source" engine game released before Half Life 2 which I think makes it the first Source Engine game to release at least widely. I really hope Bloodlines 2 doesn't get f'ed up with all the delays it's seen however I am only remaining cautiously optimistic about it because the 2004 Bloodlines game is arguably one of my favorite RPGs of all time.
That game has been in development hell for a while now with hostile takeovers in key positions. I'd not get my hopes up on that one.

That game has been in development hell for a while now with hostile takeovers in key positions. I'd not get my hopes up on that one.
Plus, it's rumored that The Chinese Room is the new developer on the game, who made the much-maligned Machine for Pigs sequel in the Amnesia series.

Reactions: M76
like this
To be honest, I consider Crysis to be a proper sequel to Far Cry. Where Far Cry 2 is Far Cry in name only,

That is correct. Same developers on Far Cry and Crysis. Same overall gameplay and design. Crysis did add some more tactical elements, some vehicles, and of course the suit. But the design approach and gameplay flow were more similar.

FC2 was entirely different. It was good, just not quite developed in a few areas. The respawning enemy camps and having to destroy the same convoy over and over again to unlock more weapons was dumb. FC3 took a lot of what 2 had and improved upon it and it was excellent. FC4 built upon that with more verticality. FC5, well, was kind of a mess and the scenarios and map was not designed around the gameplay. FC6 was slightly better but still suffers from that as I explained in a previous post regarding things like outpost design.

I still would enjoy an FC7 even if it was the same as the last few games but I think it is time to try something different.

That is correct. Same developers on Far Cry and Crysis. Same overall gameplay and design. Crysis did add some more tactical elements, some vehicles, and of course the suit. But the design approach and gameplay flow were more similar.
Far Cry already had vehicles, and I hated the suit, I think it took away from the game rather than adding to it.

The best ubisoft Far Cry is Ghost Recon Wildlands :p It's basically the same concept executed much better, and I don't really care about the pov.

I don't think that people give Far Cry 2 enough credit for being one of (if not)the first Ubisoft games to follow the Ubisoft formula.

Hmmm, been thinking about this leak. Would it mean that full game mods can come from this? Like Project Reality?

Far Cry 1 was one of the best games of its era, both graphically and gameplay wise, specifically due to the semi open maps and relatively realistic gunplay. For 2004 the graphics were mind boggling. Far Cry was much more impressive when it came out than Crysis ever was to me.T he plot was completely nonsensical and meaningless, but it didn't matter as I loved every inch of every map of the game except for the last two, when the game suddenly turned into a doom clone.

Far Cry 2 was absolutely atrocious though, despite being newer it felt like three steps back in realism, graphics, and gameplay.
I had a lot of fun with the first when I played it. The end sequence was ridiculous in all aspects but I still enjoyed it. I was looking forward to the second until I played it and found out that it has nothing at all to do with the original.

Mmmmmm, malaria pills. Car problems? Get out the trusty wrench! Need to buy something, go find some misplaced diamonds. I don't seem to recall many animals if any either. I don't know what people see in the game but Ubi found a winning formula with it.

View attachment 581910
Good times. I still need to give Half-Life 2 a go sometime.

I don't think that people give Far Cry 2 enough credit for being one of (if not)the first Ubisoft games to follow the Ubisoft formula.
I don't remember Far Cry 2 enough to be able to compare it to more modern versions. There was only 4 years between FC2 and FC3 but to me they seem worlds apart. Plus it's hard to give it credit when Mercenaries 2 came out the same year as Far Cry 2 yet it did the formula much better than any ubisoft game to date. I don't mean until 2008, but until now.

Far Cry already had vehicles, and I hated the suit, I think it took away from the game rather than adding to it.

I liked the suit, but you could essentially not use the powers if you wanted a more normal experience. I only recall jeeps and maybe boats from Far Cry 1, but Crysis had VTOLs, helicopters, armored vehicles and tanks. One of the things I liked about Crysis 1 was how you could go many places that weren't really gameplay points. If you spawn an IFV in the first mission, you can drive around and finish a few missions in that which was a lot of fun. You can get in the water and drive out to the sand bars, kill all patrolling boats, then drive inland and kill everything on the ground.

The best ubisoft Far Cry is Ghost Recon Wildlands :p It's basically the same concept executed much better, and I don't really care about the pov.

Not even close. Very different feel too. Far Cry is more over the top action, and starting with 3 had a lot of silly side activities. Wildlands was... I am not sure what it was. A serious toned game with a squad that was almost all but useless. That would walk through walls. And walk right next to enemy NPCs and not alert them some of the times. I remember I was sneaking up to a compound once and realized my squad was walking through the compound's walls, and walking right up to the enemies. I realized at that point how hopeless the AI and squad command system was. But it gets even worse, because the game is supposed to be harder and more tactical than something like Far Cry. Which falls apart when the NPCs are so absolutely brain dead and can travel through walls. In Far Cry 2-6 you can heal yourself with silly animations like prying a bullet out or snapping a broken wrist into place. Silly, but Far Cry is supposed to be over the top. Wildlands you could get blown up, and then have your NPC guys walk up and make you "all better" which doesn't fit the more realistic theme. Well, sometimes your NPCs would just completely fail to navigate and would walk around doing nothing so that didn't even work fully.

The only good thing about Wildlands was the map/artwork and the camo uniforms. Maybe if they allowed heavy modding it could have been turned into something worth playing.

I liked the suit, but you could essentially not use the powers if you wanted a more normal experience. I only recall jeeps and maybe boats from Far Cry 1, but Crysis had VTOLs, helicopters, armored vehicles and tanks. One of the things I liked about Crysis 1 was how you could go many places that weren't really gameplay points. If you spawn an IFV in the first mission, you can drive around and finish a few missions in that which was a lot of fun. You can get in the water and drive out to the sand bars, kill all patrolling boats, then drive inland and kill everything on the ground.
I did ignore the suit except for the part you are forced to use it. I thought you meant there were no vehicles in Far Cry, when you wrote they added some vehicles.
Not even close. Very different feel too. Far Cry is more over the top action, and starting with 3 had a lot of silly side activities.
It has the same basic gameplay concept: big world with outposts you need to clear. Except the world in ghost recon is much better, the outposts much more elaborate and realistic, as well as the weapons and attachments.
I don't think FC3 was meant to be funny, that only started with FC4 I believe. And I never cared for the humor of Far Cry anyway, it was lame and never landed for me.
Wildlands was... I am not sure what it was. A serious toned game with a squad that was almost all but useless. That would walk through walls. And walk right next to enemy NPCs and not alert them some of the times. I remember I was sneaking up to a compound once and realized my squad was walking through the compound's walls, and walking right up to the enemies. I realized at that point how hopeless the AI and squad command system was.
I don't remember in my hundreds of hours that I put into Wildlands ever seeing NPCs walk through walls. The squad command system was excellent, especially considering the game was meant as 4 player coop, the AI was only supposed to be placeholders if you played solo. They did exactly as you asked them to do. They opened fire only on your command or if the enemy shot first. The sync shot ability was especially useful. I think you already presented this theory to me, and I explained it then too, that the NPCs couldn't detect your AI squadmates in that game while you were in stealth, just you. So if your cover was blown it was your fault every time. Sure the squad didn't do my job for me, but they saved my ass countless times and not just by reviving but by calling out enemies or shooting t hem on their own. In fact the AI squad was so "bad" that players demanded ubisoft put them back in the sequel after they initially removed them.
In Far Cry 2-6 you can heal yourself with silly animations like prying a bullet out or snapping a broken wrist into place. Silly, but Far Cry is supposed to be over the top. Wildlands you could get blown up, and then have your NPC guys walk up and make you "all better" which doesn't fit the more realistic theme. Well, sometimes your NPCs would just completely fail to navigate and would walk around doing nothing so that didn't even work fully.
I can't even believe what I'm reading here. Let me get this straight. You are really taking the position that a silly 5 second self healing ritual is more realistic than having squadmates patch you up? And yes it didn't always work, but not for the reason you cite. The reviving usually fails when there are too many enemies around and none of your squad can get to you in itme, or if they all fall as well, which made it 10 times more realistic. Of course it is still not 100% realistic, but if your squad had to haul your ass to hospital and you had to wait weeks to get back in the fight, that wouldn't exactly play well as a game would it?

I will say it here and now. I don't think there is a better, more realistic single player tactical shooter than ghost recon wildlands that came out in the past 15 years (2009-2023). But if you think there is, I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited:
Except the world in ghost recon is much better, the outposts much more elaborate and realistic, as well as the weapons and attachments.

And that is why I said the feel and tone is quite different.

I don't think FC3 was meant to be funny, that only started with FC4 I believe. And I never cared for the humor of Far Cry anyway, it was lame and never landed for me.

FC3 had that annoying dudebro character. The silliness came from it being similar to an 80s action movie like Commando. Commando wasn't intended to be a comedy movie, but it was so over the top and ridiculous that you can't help but find it funny. That is how FC3 was. But then there were also entirely stupid characters like Hurk, so a lot of the side quests were intentionally supposed to be funny. Although the humor in all Far Cry games is quite bad, IMO. It really took off with number 5. Part of the reason why I'd like to see a revamp/reboot of the series for Far Cry 7 is I think the dudebro and lame humor has gotten really stale at this point. Ubisoft can't make good humor even if they tried because they would be scared of offending someone. And when they try and be serious, they end up being funny, like the cringe social justice warrior commentary in FC6.

I don't remember in my hundreds of hours that I put into Wildlands ever seeing NPCs walk through walls.

I saw it multiple times. I seldom replay games and have no desire to replay Wildlands, but that was something I frequently encountered. I recently replayed Advanced Warfighter, and despite its flaws was the superior game in every way but graphics.

The squad command system was excellent,

I disagree. I consider SWAT 4 and Raven Sheild (some might say Rogue Spear) to be the pinnacle of squad commands. In Wildlands you more or less had "go there" and "regroup".

especially considering the game was meant as 4 player coop, the AI was only supposed to be placeholders if you played solo.

Well that certainly doesn't help if you're playing single player.

They did exactly as you asked them to do. They opened fire only on your command or if the enemy shot first.

Which explains why they would often walk up to enemies and neither would react. This is something I noticed, and has to do with poor commanding ability and map design. It is unavoidable, and rather than fix it or make the NPCs behave realistically they just threw in the towel and made it so they were invisible unless the player did something.

In fact the AI squad was so "bad" that players demanded ubisoft put them back in the sequel after they initially removed them.

They were bad, and removing them was their solution to fix it in the sequel. Which was apparently worse. I don't much care for online always SP games so I never tried it and probably never will.

I can't even believe what I'm reading here. Let me get this straight. You are really taking the position that a silly 5 second self healing ritual is more realistic than having squadmates patch you up?

In real tactical shooters when they were killed, they died. Even the heavily commercialized GRAW had them die. There was no reviving.

I will say it here and now. I don't think there is a better, more realistic single player tactical shooter than ghost recon wildlands that came out in the past 15 years (2009-2023). But if you think there is, I'd love to hear about it.

The genre is mostly dead. Ubisoft threw the towel in with Rainbow Six Vegas and GRAW on console. We got lucky enough to get a middle ground game with the PC versions of GRAW 1/2, which aside from some shared assets were almost entirely different games made by different studios. The console versions were 3rd person cover shooters, the PC versions were 1st person and much harder.

There was Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and Operation Flashpoint: Red River. These were a watered down Operation Flashpoint/ArmA spin offs. But as one of the Ghost Recon (original) developers put it, they were decent sequels to the original Ghost Recon. I found them to be clumsy and not that great, much like Windlands. But I would consider Dragon Rising to be superior.

The best tactical shooter right now is Ready or Not, but it is Early Access and has AI issues so unless you love the genre (and not the watered down action spin offs like R6 Vegas/Wildlands) wait until it is finished. Ready or Not on Steam.

Six Days in Fallujah is another upcoming one that is interesting but also Early Access and has no squad AI right now, so I have not bothered with it and won't until it gets that added.

I assume Ready or Not will be finished in another year or so, and Six Days in Fullujah probably a few years.

that's because Far Cry 1 was the only game in the series where Crytek was the developer...

Far Cry 1 was the prequel to Crysis. (Far Cry 2 and up are in no way connected to the story of Far Cry 1).
All of the remastered Crysis games on Epic are shitty console ports. Can't remap a bunch of keys, even tho in the game menu they appear to. So unless you use WSAD, stay away. Just play the originals with mods for graphics upgrade.

The source code is so old, what might come of it? Someone re-release it in a newly compiled exe, maybe add some new graphics features? Is there an 'official' Remastered Far Cry?

The source code is so old, what might come of it? Someone re-release it in a newly compiled exe, maybe add some new graphics features? Is there an 'official' Remastered Far Cry?
Probably nothing, directly. But some budding programmers may look at it and get a bit of a free-ride on seeing some top-notch algorithms which were closely guarded.
We decry (heh) many games for being poorly optimized. This game had incredible detail and functionality, running on what we'd now consider potato CPUs / GPUs. There's some solid code in there.

Far Cry 1 was the prequel to Crysis. (Far Cry 2 and up are in no way connected to the story of Far Cry 1).
All of the remastered Crysis games on Epic are shitty console ports. Can't remap a bunch of keys, even tho in the game menu they appear to. So unless you use WSAD, stay away. Just play the originals with mods for graphics upgrade.

They also removed quick saves from Crysis 1 and removed the VTOL level. Shitty port. Looks and runs a bit better but still has issues. Never tried 2/3.

It's sad that a "remaster" is worse than the original.

I don't think the story in FC1 and Crysis are connected either. At least I can't recall any.

Yeah the stories are not connected, but most of the gameplay is similar. The suits in Crysis is the change to gameplay. Character in crysis is a marine, just a normal dude in FarCry (I think), or he is an ex-marine. Crysis = aliens, FarCry it's mutants.
Locations, vehicles, someone helping you over comm's, all of the rest of the game feels exactly like it was a sequel.

Back