Votes: 39 76.5%
  • No, it isn't a good idea.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • What are you, stupid?

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters

TheAcorn

Gawd
So, long story short, my Ti4600's* fan died. It took me about a week of random crashes and so forth to figure it out, hah, but, anyways, I pulled the fan off, and suspended an 80mm on zip ties, also secured to the bottom of the case. I can't put the side back on, but, this is temporary anyways.

Anyone else find themselves in this situation? :D Anything suggesting I should just leave it be until I get the stuff to properly repair it?

*No, a 1.4 Willy/RDRAM/Ti4600 isn't my usual rig. It's a slightly less-old AXP 2400-M, that has had PSU & videocard go poof on it recently. Let's not talk about bad luck with hardware, heh, my projector just bit the dust too!

when i was OCIng the shit outta my 9500 pro i took the tiny ass fan off and ziptied a 80mm one to it, worked like a charm :D

also i have a 120mm fan mounted via 'Ye Olde Zip Tie' in my v1000b's 5.25 slots to move some air around

theres 6 things man needs to fix something:
Hammer
Duct Tape
Bigger Hammer
WD-40
Even Bigger Hammer
Zip Ties

these are the of the things i have at all times

#1. ZIPTIES
#2. SUPERGLUE
#3. you guessed it DUCTTAPE

lol if that caint fix it nothing can...!!!
biggrin.gif

Funny... no one from the no/stupid side of the poll has posted. Makes ya wonder... :D

Ghetto mods FTW!!

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Funny... no one from the no/stupid side of the poll has posted.
I forge my own aluminum block, machine it into a bracket, tap 4 holes in it, anodize it, and secure the fan the right way. Now that's [H]ard.

sn3ak3rp1mp said:
I forge my own aluminum block, machine it into a bracket, tap 4 holes in it, anodize it, and secure the fan the right way. Now that's [H]ard.
Got pix? :D

I actually have used zip ties, twist ties, and fishing line. The fishing line took the longest but I had that sucker on tight.

modding_JunKy said:
these are the of the things i have at all times

#1. ZIPTIES
#2. SUPERGLUE
#3. you guessed it DUCTTAPE

lol if that caint fix it nothing can...!!!
biggrin.gif

QFT... i had to superglue a new 40mm fan to my old Ti4400 because it was a thicker fan than the stock one and the old screws were too short to work

My FX5200 was Passively cooled, and I didn't like that :p

I took an 80MM fan, and used garbage bag twist ties and wrapped them around the video card.

BOOM! 15C Temp Drop :)

One of my housemate's Asus NB fan went out on him. he dangled an 80mm fan above it for several weeks with the side off. When we finally got the replacement on we found the side off and 80mm fan blowing onto the NB gave us cooler temps than the tiny hsf asus used.

So you should be fine.

Back