Fans in to Motherboard or PSU?

jskagg

Weaksauce
Hey guys, I am building my first computer and everything is going fairly well so far. I have a question though, I have an ASUS P5k-e Wifi/ap and a Corsair 520hx power supply and a Coolermaster 690 case. I am installing many fans to keep the case cool (around 5 to 6 total). Is it a good idea to plug them all in to the motherboard since there are enough slots? Or should I plug some in the PSU? Complete specs and fan types are below.

Here are my specs:

Coolermaster 690 case
Q6600 with Coolermaster Hyper TX cooler
Asus P5k-e Wifi/ap
Samsung DVD Burner
Seagate 250gb HD
evga 8800gt
2 yate loon 140mm
1 yate loon 120mm
1 scythe 120mm
2 Coolermaster 120 fans

you only have 4 fan headers, unless your watercooloing and wont use the CPU header

your board specs say " ...support cooling fans 350mA to 2000mA (24W max) or a total of 1A to 7A (84w max) at +12v. "

i bet you safe with the 120's, check the amp on the 140, i dont know thier ratings

I ended up putting all of the fans in to the psu except for the heatsink fan heading and one intake fan. I think that will be fine. Is there a way to adjust the fan speeds on the fans in the psu without using a "hardware" fan controller?

i had em in the psu, but they were spinning too quickly so I just plugged one into the cpu fan header (im watercooled) and undervolted the others.

Back