fans and voltage dropping

RP_JAKE454

Limp Gawd
I put my Asus PC probe in a little while back and none of the alarms ever went off. all of a sudden my voltage for my cpu is dropping every once in a while but it goes right back to normal. it is usually at about 1.632 but im not familiar with my cpu's voltage.. ever since i went into my BIOS and turned the core speed up my cpu and power fan alarm have been going off with the rpms dropping below the threshhold and then once in a while going at very high speeds. these never last long but its happening more and more...HELP

This may indicate a problem with the motherboard's power setup for converting 12v down to core voltage. I don't know much about those, you might have more luck in motherboards. One thing tho: Always take those monitor programs with a grain of salt; they are notoriously inaccurate.

yea i thought it may be in the mobo...well i went back into BIOS and changed my fsb back to its normal setting...( i tried to up the voltage to 1.700 but it wouldnt load up windows so i just reset everything back to normalll....soo much for overclocking :mad: well ill keep asking around... o ya Btw the alarms no longer go off now that things are back to normal. :confused:

That doesn't sound like core voltage regulator problems, that sounds like your power supply simply doesn't have enough grunt on its 12V line. Presumably, you've got a motherboard that derives its core voltage from 12V.

Your 12V rail is diving; this is what's causing your fans to slow down and alarms to kick off.

Grab a new PSU.

a new power supply? how do i check my power supply that i have now without opening the case. i think its an enermax. also can this be fixed by upping my voltage..its at 1.600 right now..

you'll probably have to open your case to see who made your PSU. also, you should find out how many watts it is. it should be located on a sticer on the side of the PSU.

please list your system specs.

The voltage regulators on the motherboard should be easily able to deal with flucuations from the power supply.

Is the fan actually changin speed? Also sounds like the sensor may be having problems.

ok its an enermax psu with 155w and 350w max. i have an amd athlon xp 1700 512 mb ram asus a7v333 mobo. if im missing somethin let me know...also ont he back of my psu there is a red switch that says..115 and if i switch it it has 250. what does this do? increase watts or voltage? o and the fan's rpm's are just dropping below the threshhold so it is changing but im not sure why..it only seems to happen when i increase the cpu speed from the bios from 1100mhz to 1468.5mhz.does this take more power away from other things? sorry im still a noob at all this. but im readin up to upgrade soon!

What I was asking was whether they really are slowing down in real life, as in can you see or hear them slow down?

As for the switch on the back, that is a switch to indicate the voltage you are putting into the supply; If you live in a country that uses 220, set it to that, otherwise then set it to 110. If you are on 110, and you set it to 220, nothing bad will happen, but fireworks can result if you do it the other way around, setting 110 in a 220 country.

RP_JAKE454 said:
a new power supply? how do i check my power supply that i have now without opening the case. i think its an enermax. also can this be fixed by upping my voltage..its at 1.600 right now..
Don't up your voltage.

This will cause *more* current draw from your power supply, making the problem worse...

gee said:
Don't up your voltage.

This will cause *more* current draw from your power supply, making the problem worse...

I Don't know how you figure.

P = I * V

If the overclock isn't any higher, therefore no more power, then increasing the voltage would decrease the current draw. That's being said, I don't really know much about the mechanics of how upping the voltage on CPUs affect their speed, if at all.

Back