Fallout 4

The weapon debris/RTX thing seems odd. I mean...that has to be a pretty big chunk of the population playing this game right now. You'd think that would be a priority with this update, but apparently not. If isn't fixable, maybe disable it automatically when it does the hardware detection thing?
It is set to off by default after hardware detection, but there is no warning or anything when you turn it on.

It is set to off by default after hardware detection, but there is no warning or anything when you turn it on.

Good to know. My settings from 6 years ago were apparently retained as I didn't change anything. I started looking for a full-on fix, but apparently the mod loader people are using doesn't work with this update yet.

I played a bit last night. Started a new game, no mods. Played ok. No huge change from the last time I played it, except running 1440 instead of 1080.
Played until I got stuck in the Minutemen buildings basement. Dog all runnin around, all happy go lucky, while the char is stuck staring at the bottom half of the terminal. Can't jump, move head around. Nothing.
Hoping the last save wasn't too far back.

I played a bit last night. Started a new game, no mods. Played ok. No huge change from the last time I played it, except running 1440 instead of 1080.
Played until I got stuck in the Minutemen buildings basement. Dog all runnin around, all happy go lucky, while the char is stuck staring at the bottom half of the terminal. Can't jump, move head around. Nothing.
Sounds like the authentic Bethesda experience.

` for the console then type tcl then enter. That will get you out. Enables no clip. Do it again after your unstuck to disable it.

Good to know. My settings from 6 years ago were apparently retained as I didn't change anything. I started looking for a full-on fix, but apparently the mod loader people are using doesn't work with this update yet.
That can sometimes be an issue, too. I really wish Steam gave you the option to exclude configuration files from cloud saves. I've had at least on game completely broken for me after a hardware upgrade where the only fix was to turn off cloud saves and delete the configuration file. This was Amnesia: The Dark Descent after I upgraded from my GTX 780 pair to a Titan X on a fresh install of Windows 8.1.
It seems the upgrade was a downgrade?
It's neither an upgrade or a downgrade, it just added more content. Which is why people are upset because it broke mods and prevented Fallout London from releasing on schedule, all for nothing.

If I get fed up with Fallout 4, I'll probably just start a new game of 76. I didn't think it was half bad back when it first came out and people say it's worlds better now. The gunplay in 76 much more natural than in 4. Since there's no VATS, it kinda had to be.

Yep and have just as many bugs as Fallout with a lot less solutions, especially Stalker games. Even Metro Exodus still has 2 game breaking bugs in it.

The console was the best thing Bethesda ever did for the FO & ES series of games.
Can't speak for Metro but STALKER GAMMA was a smooth gaming experience for me in terms of bugs, or lack thereof for noticeable ones. I would recommend a heavily modded STALKER.

Can't speak for Metro but STALKER GAMMA was a smooth gaming experience for me in terms of bugs, or lack thereof for noticeable ones. I would recommend a heavily modded STALKER.
I agree that Stalker with a shit ton of mods is fun, just like FO3, NV, FO4 is, but I was mainly talking about vanilla Stalker and Metro VS. vanilla FO4.
I will be giving Gamma a shot though when I replay them soon.

Yesterday I played on a 14700k box and a 5700x box. Played fine. 13600k system, ees no bueno.

False alarm. It works fine

Game does not detect my resolution correctly due to me using 125% desktop scaling, and if I turn that off and run the game in the correct resolution, it runs like crap, verly low fps and very laggy.

Shelved until the patch it some more.

Game does not detect my resolution correctly due to me using 125% desktop scaling, and if I turn that off and run the game in the correct resolution, it runs like crap, verly low fps and very laggy.

Shelved until the patch it some more.
I use 150% scaling and don't have an issue.

I use 150% scaling and don't have an issue.
This is what I get iso 3440*1440
f4 RES.jpg

That's making things even worse, seems to try and stretch the game out over multiple non existing monitors
idk if it supports ultra wide properly, ive seen talk of it just stretching. if that what youre using...
this is what i see with a 4k. dont think its a scaling issue.
1714265268747.png

1714265294987.png
1714265332501.png
1714265358508.png

If I set it to 21:9 with 125% scaling I get this
f4 UW1.jpg

If I turn of scaling I get this
F4 UW2.jpg

Something is off and I got no clue

For those having a lot of glitches in game - I noticed that for some reason even with Nvidia control panel set to 'application controlled' for refresh rate - The game is still using my desktop refresh rate of 175hz. You need to cap the frame rate using the NVCP or something else to 60fps otherwise the game will literally just break constantly. Being stuck at a terminal is one of them. The higher you get above 60FPS the more issues you'll have. Jump height becomes nothing, physics completely stop working, etc.

I will say this update seems to have improved performance in dense areas, and ultra wide is working fine for me. It's very disappointing that they couldn't spend the effort to update this game with above 60FPS fixes that 76 and Starfield have. At least ultra wide is fully supported now though. They even updated the videos to support it.

Last edited:
I was pretty excited that 3840x1080 was supported. Fired the game up, messed around in the starting house, then when you get to the part where you have to pick your name.....The UI was zoomed in and you can't see the area to click and type a name in. #rip

I was pretty excited that 3840x1080 was supported. Fired the game up, messed around in the starting house, then when you get to the part where you have to pick your name.....The UI was zoomed in and you can't see the area to click and type a name in. #rip
Works fine at 3440*1440. 32:9 is a pretty non-standard aspect ratio.

No technical issues for me, although I forgot how brutal the game can be via level scaling. You can end up in some nigh unwinnable situations at times.

No technical issues for me, although I forgot how brutal the game can be via level scaling. You can end up in some nigh unwinnable situations at times.
It's really only rough-going in the early parts of the game when you have few perks. Once you get past level 20 the game starts to take a hard turn into easy territory, and they tried to balance that by making rare monster encounters that are annoying because they made them bullet sponges. Increasing the health of an enemy by a factor of 100 is real difficulty, am I right guys? This is why I typically scale the difficulty myself in Bethesda games, starting out on something like Easy and eventually landing on Very Hard, but with Fallout 4 I keep it on Normal.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Haven't played the game in a long time so figured I'd give it a shot - and it's already sinking its claws into me. I never fully completed the game on my first playthrough, I didn't really like any of the factions and that character's "ending" was traveling into the irradiated zone with his dog. This time I'm planning on settling things with Shaun before calling it a day.

I have a set of night shifts coming up so figured I'd see how the game runs on my ROG Ally and it performs beautifully. It defaulted to Ultra settings and the game ran silky smooth @ 25w turbo (albeit gulped down 20% of battery life in approximately 15 minutes). I'm going to play around with the settings and see if I can get it down to 15w for the lower fan noise.

One quirk I've encountered was slow load times playing on my desktop (installed to a NVME SSD). I read some game threads from a few years ago stating high FPS can butcher load times even on a fast SSD (due to game scripts being tied to FPS or something). You'd hope that an issue like that would've been patched out with this new update.

Haven't played the game in a long time so figured I'd give it a shot - and it's already sinking its claws into me. I never fully completed the game on my first playthrough, I didn't really like any of the factions and that character's "ending" was traveling into the irradiated zone with his dog. This time I'm planning on settling things with Shaun before calling it a day.

I have a set of night shifts coming up so figured I'd see how the game runs on my ROG Ally and it performs beautifully. It defaulted to Ultra settings and the game ran silky smooth @ 25w turbo (albeit gulped down 20% of battery life in approximately 15 minutes). I'm going to play around with the settings and see if I can get it down to 15w for the lower fan noise.

One quirk I've encountered was slow load times playing on my desktop (installed to a NVME SSD). I read some game threads from a few years ago stating high FPS can butcher load times even on a fast SSD (due to game scripts being tied to FPS or something). You'd hope that an issue like that would've been patched out with this new update.
It's something that developers started doing on gen 8 consoles that got carried over into the PC versions, for some reason. It's not as bad as having a fixed load timer like some console games have, though.

Anyone handy with the Fallout 4 ini?

I'm trying to make the UI a bit smaller so it isn't outside of the resolution I'm using. I'm thinking it may be the following. Annoying as hell lol.

[Interface]
fDefaultWorldFOV=70
fDefault1stPersonFOV=80
fSafeZoneX=15.0
fSafeZoneY=15.0
fSafeZoneXWide=64.0
fSafeZoneYWid=36.0
fSafeZoneXWide16x10=64.0
fSafeZoneYWide16x10=36.0

1714528956245.png

Last edited:
Anyone handy with the Fallout 4 ini?

I'm trying to make the UI a bit smaller so it isn't outside of the resolution I'm using. I'm thinking it may be the following. Annoying as hell lol.

[Interface]
fDefaultWorldFOV=70
fDefault1stPersonFOV=80
fSafeZoneX=15.0
fSafeZoneY=15.0
fSafeZoneXWide=64.0
fSafeZoneYWid=36.0
fSafeZoneXWide16x10=64.0
fSafeZoneYWide16x10=36.0

View attachment 651112
I recommend this.
Requires no mod manager, or other mods for that matter. Allows you to change any aspect of the hud. Has a bunch of goodies for your inventory and then some.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10654/?tab=description

Back