Fallout 4

Whelp, I think I may have pushed things a bit too far or have a mod conflict....

View attachment 5074

Started experiencing invisible building foundations and terrain flickering in and out of view. I'm going to load-up FO4Edit first to see if there is a conflict somewhere before removing any mods.

Damn it must be something if even YOU finally hit the brick wall. ;)

279 mods... lol...

Brick walls...either go around, climb over or, like me, use dynamite. :LOL:

Damn it must be something if even YOU finally hit the brick wall. ;)

279 mods... lol...

Aaaaaaaand fixed the issue. Forgot I had set bUseCombinedObjects=0 in Fallout4.ini for testing purposes. Changed back to bUseCombinedObjects=1 and the foundations and terrain issues were resolved.

Time to install a few more mods. :D

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Bethesda screwed the pooch regarding settlements with patch 1.6.3.

Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch (UFO4P) takes an arrow in the knee

To summarize, Bethesda changed something in the engine which has borked the settlement system along with the quest, Big Guns.

Settlers lose persistence, meaning they will not stay assigned to shops, crops or defense.

Workshop NPCs are unloaded when out-of-site. This means when you turn away from a settler then turn back, their appearance, persistence can change, including sex.

One other effect is the settlement beacon no longer works. i.e. settlers will not arrive at your settlement if you have any mod, including UFO4P, installed which alters settlers.

I've experienced first-hand both of these bugs in my current playthrough.

This very unfortunate as it basically brings settlement development to a grinding halt which Bethesda touted to no end. Needless to say, there are a lot of pissed-off people right now so hopefully Bethesda will get these issues fixed soon.

like this
I have experienced both having the settlement beacon not attracting any settlers as well as the "Old Guns" quest working in a weird way. On Old Guns I had to use Scrap Everything to remove the armory door in order to get the artillery components as Ronnie was starting her dialog mid quest. Once I got the stuff and built the artillery we continued on to the test fire, once done with that She started doing her opening dialog and the first part of the quest. Once we done the first part it reverted back to the test fire sequence and she completed her dialog to mark the finish of the quest.

Huh, guess that explains why there's two Ronnie's walking around in my castle. Dang, hopefully they get this fixed soon.

Fallout 4 Unofficial Patch runs into a bug even it cannot fix

PC Gamer

The Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch, which we wrote about in our Mod Roundup back in April, is a comprehensive bug fixing mod that seeks to address all of the great many technical issues that Bethesda doesn't get to in official patches. It's covered a lot of ground in the three months since it was released, but now it's run into an impenetrable roadblock that's forced some not-entirely-desirable changes to how it works.

The problem first came to light over the weekend in this "arrow to the knee" thread explaining that settlers were changing gear, appearance, gender, and race after having been in a settlement for a certain amount of time, based on the respawn timer. Cut [the timer] to one hour, you can get the problem almost immediately, it says. Raise it, and you can probably delay it, but it will cost severely in performance elsewhere.

The post offers up a much more technical breakdown of the problem, but the need-to-know part is that according to the patch makers, it's hardwired into the Workshop system, and they can't fix it. IMO, this may sound a death bell for the project. Settlement issues are a large portion of what's wrong with the game and it has taken him/us 4 iterations of work to get to the point we're at now, and now it's all for nothing, the poster wrote. Considering Bethesda themselves screwed this up for reasons unknown, I don't know if we can trust them not to completely screw something ELSE up later on that gets in the way of fixing a broken quest, bad flags on NPCs, or even stuff as simple as fixing typos.

Complicating things further, a Bethesda employee going by the name of SmkViper said it's unlikely that the changes cited in the complaint are actually the cause of the trouble. He asked for a minimal example of the issue, hopefully without loading several of mods and said Bethesda would continue to try to track down the issue. But also pointed out several misconceptions about how the system works that could have the mod makers headed down the wrong path.

While the problem doesn't sound like it will be going away anytime soon, it's not necessarily the end of the line predicted in the original post either. An update released yesterday actually removes fixes for the AI pack WorkshopSandboxRelaxation20x4, as they appeared to be greatly aggravating the bug. The underlying issue has NOT been fixed by Bethesda but this should mitigate most of the worst effects of it. Settlers will still change clothing on a regular basis, but this is harmless and appears to be an unannounced intentional feature added to the system with Patch 1.6, the update notes say. Settlers who are already bugged will unfortunately retain the bad behavior. It is not known yet if they will eventually return to normal.

It's not a perfect fix, but it's better than nothing. And at least now you know you weren't imagining things.

Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch: Version History

What is your guys average load time when fast traveling or entering a building? I am having load times around 30 seconds in ~ 60% of all my load time waits. My boot drive and game drive are both SSD's with 8GB/I5 gen 3/GTX970. I would think that horsepower is enough. Anyone have similar times? I have no mods installed, just the vanilla game.

I also realize it has to load a large/varying world, just seems like a longer time than normal. Have not had this issue with Far Cry, GTA:V or other open world games.

As for the patch - I played last night and just got the arty built and completed the test fire and finished with speaking to Preston. It seemed to complete normally for me. I have issues with settlements not staying happy even though there is no reason for them not to be. Built shops, 2x more food/beds/secrurity than people and gave most settlers guns and armor. I tried the walk around to find out if I need to clear raiders/mutants trick, nadda.

What is your guys average load time when fast traveling or entering a building? I am having load times around 30 seconds in ~ 60% of all my load time waits. My boot drive and game drive are both SSD's with 8GB/I5 gen 3/GTX970. I would think that horsepower is enough. Anyone have similar times? I have no mods installed, just the vanilla game.

Mine were like that on Windows 7. Once I updated to 10, my load times shortened by a factor of about 3-4.

That_Sound_Guy

I have 280 mods loaded with 200 active plugins. My load times are anywhere from ~10 to 30 seconds when entering or exiting a building. I don't use fast travel therefore I'm unable to provide any metrics to gauge by. I'm also using ENB and Reshade if that makes any difference to you.

Q-BZ

Beat me to the punch, dude. :p I've been running the latest version of UFO4P (1.04c) since release which has corrected the settlers not appearing at settlements after the beacon is activated. The clothes/sex change is still happening yet isn't happening as frequently prior to 1.04c.

Thanks for the earlier suggestion for the Fallout Texture Overhaul Stars and Moons. Looks damn good. To enhance the textures I'm currently using Grim Wolf Reshade and ENB Presets. Looks great and performs well.

Edit: Fallout 4 has been *quietly* updated to 1.6.9 at 6:14 am this morning. Currently, F4SE doesn't have an updated version. I'll let you all know when one drops. I have a little Chrome plugin named Refresh Monkey so I'll know when the page is altered. :)

Edit 2: Fallout 4 1.6.9 update notes:
  • ExitSave now supports "Exit to Desktop"
Ok, that was a really good update note... [/sarcasm]

Last edited:
like this
Yeah, this is disappointing, especially since they jacked up the price of the Season Pass. I don't see what they are releasing that was worth the extra money...

So far, I'd agree with you unless the Nuka thing really shocks and awes us.

If they had put that out and then told us "Another Far Harbor caliber DLC is going to come out in time for the holidays for the big send off" then I would say that would have been worth it.

I had used a fairly nice GMG coupon when I preordered the entire lot so I don't feel bad about it. I have easily gotten my money's worth and will continue to do so but on paper, yes, your point stands.

Yeah, this is disappointing, especially since they jacked up the price of the Season Pass. I don't see what they are releasing that was worth the extra money...

Well, anyone who paid anything close to the current retail price for the Season Pass is a sucker.

Considering Nuka World is priced separately at $20, Far Harbor is $25, and Automatron is $10, I'm going to guess Nuka World is going to have somewhere around half the content of Far Harbor.

Didn't have time to test the latest patch with F4SE when I posted the link. Haven't made any changes to load order, ini files or such. Arrived home from work, started FO4, it gets to the Stand By screen then back to the desktop. Updated Place Everywhere F4SE plugin to latest version. Same issue.

Still trying various workarounds so hopefully I'll find a solution soon.

Edit: fixed the issue. I inadvertently copied the Source folder bundled with F4SE into the Fallout 4 folder. Once removed, game starts right-up and I'm able to load my save to continue playing.

Last edited:
Has anyone released any fairly extensive texture packs yet?

I've seen quite a few that update certain aspects, but they aren't extensive enough to not stick out like a sore thumb in the context of the surrounding textures.

there has already been discussed in what order to put fashion (DEF_UI, VIS, Gold Kit for Color Pipboy -anti-Black and White Screen, Updated ICONLIBS2 for DEF_UI), and which files to replace, and which are not, such as when installing Updated ICONLIBS2 for DEF_UI
Help plz

KumbBa

Here is the install order:

DEF_UI/DEF_INV (single install package) ==> Gold Kit ==> Item Sorter ==> IconLibs

================================

RW2112

I've been using that mod for a few days yet didn't want to post it until I thoroughly checked it out. Great mod indeed.

================================

Parja

Not really any major mod packs are available at the current time. I've been manually combining various textures from different mods to get the best of all worlds. Meshes/textures by themselves are good but with the Grim Wolf ENB/Reshade preset posted earlier it makes them stand-out quite a bit.

Here are a few screenshots taken at 1.20x 1080p (2103 x 1183) nVidia DSR with over 100 model/texture replacement mods:

AceGoober_FO4_0234.jpg

AceGoober_FO4_0235.jpg

AceGoober_FO4_0236.jpg

AceGoober_FO4_0237.jpg

AceGoober_FO4_0238.jpg

To continue with Minutemen Shenanigans, I enclosed the Minutemen Radio Announcer in framed clear glass walls with concrete floor then used Build Your Own Pool to drown him in water. :ROFLMAO:

AceGoober_FO4_0239.jpg

KumbBa

Here are a few screenshots taken at 1.20x 1080p (2103 x 1183) nVidia DSR with over 100 model/texture replacement mods:
]

How do you get DSR to work with this game? I have tried many times & I keep getting the game to display in a small box at the top left but the rest of my screen is black.

I have DSR enabled in the control panel & select the resolution in the game options.

KumbBa

Always overwrite.

Krenum

Have you chosen the multiplier you want in nVidia Control Panel then set the corresponding resolution in GeForce Experience accordingly?

Going off of 1920 x 1080 base, here is the conversion table:

1.20x = 2103 x 1183
1.50x = 2351 x 1343
1.78x = 2560 x 1440
2.00x = 2715 x 1527
2.25x = 2880 x 1620
3.00x = 3325 x 1871
4.00x = 3840 x 2160

I change resolutions regularly to take screenshots or to test how FO4 performs with various graphics mods at any given DSR resolution so I leave all the multiplier boxes checked.

KumbBa

Unsure what the issue would be. What I recommend is making sure you have the latest version of each mod, uninstall every interface mod (don't just disable the mods, delete them completely), then reinstalling in the order listed.

chenw

For me it is completely playable and mostly smooth. Here are a couple of quickly made videos to demonstrate. Ensure YouTube options are set to 1080p/60 to see the full detail.

Last edited:
like this
At 4k?

Sounds incredible, I often can't get too smooth of a gameplay even with SLI 970's at 1440p...

What magic sauce did you use? :p

Seriously though, that is some impressive modding... you should start a new career as a professional modder, as in you get paid to setup modded games for people :p

Nope, not at 4k, unfortunately. My 4k monitor died on me so I'm running a 24" 1080p LCD using 1.20x DSR. Even at only 1080p there are a couple of areas which do lag a touch; otherwise game runs smooth as silk.

At 4k?

Sounds incredible, I often can't get too smooth of a gameplay even with SLI 970's at 1440p...

What magic sauce did you use? :p

Seriously though, that is some impressive modding... you should start a new career as a professional modder, as in you get paid to setup modded games for people :p

One of the tricks to modding Fallout or Elder Scrolls series is knowing what mod does what to the world space to avoid conflicts. Couple that with LOOT and a little bit of manual sorting then you'll have a good modding experience.

btw, I'm up to 301 mods with 218 active plugins.:D

like this
KumbBa

Unsure what the issue would be. What I recommend is making sure you have the latest version of each mod, uninstall every interface mod (don't just disable the mods, delete them completely), then reinstalling in the order listed.
I have always and do is completely removed, shake and put again))))
in general, the problem did not go away, instead of the word icon after installing Updated ICONLIBS2 for DEF_UI, will have to be left alone update icon if no one tells decision

In this case what I would recommend is uninstalling and removing every interface mod then before reinstalling open your \Fallout 4\Data\Interface folder then deleting every file within the folder. Once done, try reinstalling again.

I have always and do is completely removed, shake and put again))))
in general, the problem did not go away, instead of the word icon after installing Updated ICONLIBS2 for DEF_UI, will have to be left alone update icon if no one tells decision

like this
In this case what I would recommend is uninstalling and removing every interface mod then before reinstalling open your \Fallout 4\Data\Interface folder then deleting every file within the folder. Once done, try reinstalling again.
Thanks for the advice, I decided to put in a different order
VIS --- DEF_UI --- Updated ICONLIBS2 for DEF_UI --- Gold Kit for Color Pipboy -anti-Black and White Screen, such as running, only the color card not present (not critical) and color of objects in the transfer window, but there are icons like everywhere and color that pleases the eye

KumbBa

There is something about the new versions of the interface mods that has changed. I ran through several install combinations and so far this is the install order that is working for me:

DEF_UI
Valdacil's Item Sorting
Color Map 4K with Locations
No more monochrome - Color setting for Pipboy
Zoom-out Extended for World and Local Maps - For 2K 4K 8K World Maps
Gold Kit for Color Pipboy -anti-Black and White Screen
Full Dialogue Interface
Updated ICONLIBS2 for DEF_UI v5.5.2

like this
File this one under the oddities section...

During the quest associated with Saugus Ironworks, I had just killed the Boss and his minions and was looting their corpses. Total, there are supposed to be four bodies. Looted three but couldn't find the fourth until I looked under the catwalk in-front of the boiler room entrance. Even after death the dude is an acrobat. :ROFLMAO:

AceGoober_FO4_0245.jpg

AceGoober_FO4_0246.jpg

Did another round of Automatron while testing out new load order. This time around decided to neuter Jezebel. Her head, assaultron body and Mr. Handy thruster; nothing else. :D

AceGoober_FO4_0247.jpg

like this
I only give her the basic body, no arms.... then when finished talking to her I use the disable console command to get rid of her cause I can't stand her, lol.

For an RPG experience, I don't know if I'd call Fo4 a good one. It's a fun ass game, but it's more like an fps with rpg elements.

Back