Fallout 4

Consoles or not, first person mode to construct is stupid.

Yeah, it makes it much more tedious than it should be, especially given the granularity of the construction. Going into a 3/4 overhead "god mode" with a UI that at least took PCs into consideration would have been really nice.

From what I have read, it uses the default vsync refresh rate of the monitor to sync internal physics unless overriden.
So it will work on higher refresh displays, but not if you only turn off vsync without capping the framerate. Lower is better, higher breaks the game.
There are some issues with mouse lag and stuttering, some of the fixes for these are not as compatible with higher refresh, but you should be able to sort it with a little trial/error.

Thanks for the clarification. So stuttering, mouse lag, and getting stuck at terminals are the only caveats with high refresh rates. I suppose I can live with it although it's still disappointing. Hopefully G-Sync will help with the stuttering.

I must be doing something wrong as I found the building mechanic to be terrible. I had an incredibly hard time aligning walls to corners and having corners and walls align with the foundations.

I tried doing corners first, then adding walls in between. I tried walls first and then added corners .... nothing worked very well.

I got so sick of it that I just used a large pre-fab structure.

Agreed with others: It's Bethesda. In its present state 8/10 feels a little generous but I'll do it for the sentimental bias.

It doesn't look or feel like a 2015 game like even the HOCP article said.

There is a lot to like here on its own merits even at that. It's a good game.

I can't remember what it's called but not too far south and east of Vault 111 is this "dam" like place that I went to and honest to God it was like some kid's first mod.

Horrible texture flickering and me falling through and walking through solid objects. Yes, I had verified my files and everything is set as properly as can be. Totally unacceptable and I've seen other people in this thread make similar complaints.

I have to wonder if IronCross did movetoqt and went without sleep and the rest of it to blaze ass through the game as fast as it seems he has.

This isn't a small game and there is a lot to explore even if I agree with some of his criticisms.

Speaking just for myself:

On its own merits, the series has moved forward in several areas and that's good. :)

If I start comparing this game to other games it isn't pretty.

I have been spoiled and played considerably better games since Fallout 3 and New Vegas and so have most if not all of you.

For me, Witcher 3 and Metal Gear Phantom Pain have raised the bar in a lot of ways. They are benchmark games for me. Playing this is a bit of a come down.

It's not even close. These two games hand Bethesda their ass in every single category. Bethesda lost their crown to CD Project as far as I'm concerned.

Having some of the same bugs and stupid glitches that we all have been dealing with to varying degrees in Bethesda games for the last DECADE... since Oblivion...doesn't help, either.

They should have retired this engine after the Fallout 3 and New Vegas games.

For the people wanting to throw around the whiny PC gamer card.... the console gamers have found out at Bethesda the hard way, too, and arguably have had even worse problems than us. It's not a "gamer user" problem...it's a long, tired "Bethesda problem."

Ubisoft has gotten pillaried for less than Bethesda gets away with.

So what. Why must Minecraft be grafted into every AAA game. They should have put some money into writing.

Here's to hoping that they convince Obsidian to do a version.

There was a joke at F3 release, that Bethesda kept denying, that it would be Oblivion with guns. F4 is Skyrim with guns.

I agree.

Crafting? That's what a trainer or console codes are for. That's about all it's worth for me.

Last edited:
well I can finally play well enough after spending like an hour creating a auto hot key script.. shouldn't have to that.

Agree. CDPR makes Bethesda look like a second tier indie dev.
Not to say F4 is not fun, or a decent game, but far behind W3:WH, weak for 2015 graphicswise, and overpriced even with the GMG coupon.

I have my suspicions that the delay for the modding tools is partially because they're working on hashing out how to implement paid mods again. The idea failed with Skyrim so much because it interfered with a long-standing, well-established community. Fallout 4 is fresh, and you can bet they're going to try it again.

Unfortunately, I think the days of free, unlimited mods are behind us. Sure, there will still be free mods, but nothing on the scale of what we're used to.

I really hope not. Was really looking forward to Skyrim scale of mods.

Not to say F4 is not fun, or a decent game, but far behind W3:WH, weak for 2015 graphicswise, and overpriced even with the GMG coupon.

Exactly. Short and sweet unlike my windbag post. ;)

Do you have to use the builder or modding stuff at all in the game if you don't want to?

I actually REALLY dislike crafting...hate it so much and I don't really care to sit around and play FPS version of shelter.

The only crafting I do is weapon mods and it is straightforward and quick, everything else as far as crafting I have no interest and will never use (unless for mission purposes).

So nope you don't have to do any crafting outside of some quest objectives.

Last edited:
Came across a coupe of terminators near a medical center,
fallout4-terminator.jpg

Agreed. After having played about 130hrs of Witcher 3 it is plain to see the CDPR are in another league as far as open world RPGs. It's not even close. Fallout 4 is good and I am almost done with the main story but so far it just doesn't hold a candle to the Witcher 3 -- except the combat is better in F4.

I can't remember what it's called but not too far south and east of Vault 111 is this "dam" like place that I went to and honest to God it was like some kid's first mod.

Horrible texture flickering and me falling through and walking through solid objects. Yes, I had verified my files and everything is set as properly as can be. Totally unacceptable and I've seen other people in this thread make similar complaints.

I think there's a bug with the low LOD models not being removed when getting closer to things as the high detail versions load in. In other words you're walking around in both the low AND high detail versions of certain areas. For example I was walking around the top of the Corvega plant and there were the low res scaffolding towers on top as well as the normal ones so I was walking through the low LOD ones that weren't supposed to be there. Same thing happens with smaller scale objects like Nuka vending machines. Sometimes I'll come across one that looks like PS1-era graphics but it's not because that's "just how it looks", it's because the low LOD version is taking precedence over the nicer high LOD one.

This is just a hunch but I'm going to guess it's another glitch of not running at locked 30fps like the consoles. Hopefully it gets patched soon, but knowing Bethesda, trying to communicate with them about bugs and issues in the game is like trying to have lunch with Obama or something. There are so many forums with so many posts going on about the game that you kinda just have to cross your fingers that some dev at Bethesda happens across these threads and then actually does something about them.

Agreed. After having played about 130hrs of Witcher 3 it is plain to see the CDPR are in another league as far as open world RPGs. It's not even close. Fallout 4 is good and I am almost done with the main story but so far it just doesn't hold a candle to the Witcher 3 -- except the combat is better in F4.

I think W3 was a great game, just a very tired setting for me personally right now and I don't care for that view and movement inertia. Writing was great. I'm REALLY hoping that 2077 game they've teased comes together in the same way.

Loving FO4. The only bug that's hit me in about 8 hours of game play is the disappearing weapon/pipboy. Quicksave and load in about 30 seconds fixes this and it's only happened twice so far.

Don't like the crafting UI and agree the view is silly and lining up walls and foundations is dumb.

None of the problems change a damn thing for me though, it's Fallout and I'm enjoying the shit out of it.

Thanks for the clarification. So stuttering, mouse lag, and getting stuck at terminals are the only caveats with high refresh rates. I suppose I can live with it although it's still disappointing. Hopefully G-Sync will help with the stuttering.

You can completely remove the stutter/mouse lag/bugs by doing the ini tweaks that have been posted in this thread a number of times. As long as you stay below 90fps you are good.

I am playing on a 144hz gsync and I play at a locked 72fps with all of the fixes and the game is smooth as butter.

I've got 12.5 hours into it and I'm really enjoying it so far. I completely agree with others, it is visually lacking and I've had a bunch of different bugs so far but my love for the Fallout series definitely sways me. I've had multiple crashes to the desktop on loading different zones, I've had a weird bug where my gun and pipboy won't display anymore, and I've gotten stuck in one terminal. Honestly this is what I was expecting having played the other games so I'm fine with it. If it was any other game I would be pretty upset.

I don't know if it is because I'm not following the story line but I'm finding this game rather difficult even on normal difficulty. I got wrecked numerous times by a cluster of Bloatflys and Bloodbugs. It seemed like I wasn't doing any damage to them unless it was a critical hit. I've also come up to multiple Super Mutants with missile launchers who just completely destroy me. They perfectly predict where you are going to be and are deadly accurate. Combo that with a couple Super Mutants throwing unlimited molotovs at you and it's a bad time. I should probably be using power armor more often to deal with these situations.

That being said though I am still really enjoying it. I'm going to go back to the story quests when I get home from work today and see how things progress.

Loving the game here. We have not experienced any of the issues that everyone is complaining about either. Actually, I haven't run into any technical issues yet. I have run into some mobs that are higher in level and push my shit in, but after reloading I chose another direction. I love the changes to combat. Although while running around at night I do find my self spamming the Q key quite a bit, (like marking in BF), to see if anything is in front of me.
I am finding more ammo than in previous FO games and have gone down the luck line exclusively so far. One more level to ricochet, woot...

ps.. whats up with the suicide nuke guys? how are you guys killing them?

Agreed with others: It's Bethesda. In its present state 8/10 feels a little generous but I'll do it for the sentimental bias.

It doesn't look or feel like a 2015 game like even the HOCP article said.

There is a lot to like here on its own merits even at that. It's a good game.

I have to wonder if IronCross did movetoqt and went without sleep and the rest of it to blaze ass through the game as fast as it seems he has.

This isn't a small game and there is a lot to explore even if I agree with some of his criticisms.

Speaking just for myself:

On its own merits, the series has moved forward in several areas and that's good. :)

If I start comparing this game to other games it isn't pretty.

I have been spoiled and played considerably better games since Fallout 3 and New Vegas and so have most if not all of you.

For me, Witcher 3 and Metal Gear Phantom Pain have raised the bar in a lot of ways. They are benchmark games for me. Playing this is a bit of a come down.

It's not even close. These two games hand Bethesda their ass in every single category. Bethesda lost their crown to CD Project as far as I'm concerned.

Having some of the same bugs and stupid glitches that we all have been dealing with to varying degrees in Bethesda games for the last DECADE... since Oblivion...doesn't help, either.

They should have retired this engine after the Fallout 3 and New Vegas games.

For the people wanting to throw around the whiny PC gamer card.... the console gamers have found out at Bethesda the hard way, too, and arguably have had even worse problems than us. It's not a "gamer user" problem...it's a long, tired "Bethesda problem."

Ubisoft has gotten pillaried for less than Bethesda gets away with.

blabber blabber blabber but you cant really stop playing it right?

I am having a lot of fun so far. Is my 390 driving me up the wall with the random FPS drops? Yes. I can deal with it. Only thing that really irritates me is how sluggish melee is. I am using firearms as little as possible. I am enjoying getting into my battle armor and using a Chinese officers sword modified to slay bodies!

I did not use any move.to or w/e commands other than to teleport a missing companion to me. I have roughly 21 hours played based on my save file. I just lost all interest in any side quests after I did 5-10 of those boring shit missions, so I just focused on the main quest. Not even sure I'll go back and replay any of it. Maybe I'll enjoy it more in a few weeks/months, but it just wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. Oh and I don't like the new perk only system.

modded to a black vaultsuit and a grey pipboy
Yceer1a.jpg

default vaultsuit with default poop colored pipboy for comparison
Dr7CQfl.jpg

I was very close to picking this game up when I heard about the building stuff. I heard it is pretty in depth. I wasn't interested in the game itself because I never got into previous Fallout games and always hated that Gamebryo engine (biggest reason I stopped playing Skyrim, combat was terrible).

But it looks like people are having issues in this thread with building so it looks like I'll hold off and finish up Arkham Knight instead.

still having fun but the character models look like dog shit.

gone are the days of new releases blowing minds(. definitely a fun game and i'm not one to cry about every little thing but the characters look 2011ish

Loving the game here. We have not experienced any of the issues that everyone is complaining about either. Actually, I haven't run into any technical issues yet. I have run into some mobs that are higher in level and push my shit in, but after reloading I chose another direction. I love the changes to combat. Although while running around at night I do find my self spamming the Q key quite a bit, (like marking in BF), to see if anything is in front of me.
I am finding more ammo than in previous FO games and have gone down the luck line exclusively so far. One more level to ricochet, woot...

ps.. whats up with the suicide nuke guys? how are you guys killing them?

Shoot the nuclear football they are carrying.

Oh and I don't like the new perk only system.

Still not sure how I feel about it yet either. There was something that just felt right about the Elder Scrolls-eque "use the skill and you get better at it" style of character development with Perks peppered in as a way to further specialize your character.

The just one perk per level system that also incorporates SPECIAL stats seems kind of bland.

I guess it puts more emphasis on the modding mechanic (for weapons and armor), but just being able to pick up the ability to pick locks/hack terminals/etc. without having any experience in doing so seems less "personal" than how it was handled in FO3/FNV.

yes, you can have it all better if youre willing to wait, this game will be modded to hell, but i simply cannot stop playing it :p

Bahaha... I know. It's summoning me. The Bethesda hex lives on. ;)

I just hope I can get this to not CTD on me every 20 minutes. :(

Running this on a 2500k and 280x
1080p ultra.
CPU use stays around 50% with no cores maxing out.
GPU stays 80-100% with around 2300 mb vram used.
No fps drops, overall very smooth play.

Bahaha... I know. It's summoning me. The Bethesda hex lives on. ;)

I just hope I can get this to not CTD on me every 20 minutes. :(

shit bro i still didnt had a single crash, win 8 and latest nvidia driver

shit bro i still didnt had a single crash, win 8 and latest nvidia driver

I'm doing some clean up on my machine just to for the kill.

I'm scouring these:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551069501&tscn=1447077828

And other recommended fixes. I can vouch for all of that working with the latest Nvidia GPU drivers and everything up to date as much as it can be.

With vsync disabled and HOCP's recommended settings I'm getting really nice performance close to 100 fps at times.

I'm wondering if that's "too much" since I'm a 60Hz monitor and if I should try to cap this at 60 for myself? I know how picky this game engine can be.

The "stuck at the terminal" bug that happened to me yesterday is apparently directly related to that.

Having lots of fun playing this. Just got rank 3 gun nut, rank 2 sand man, and rank 2 ninja. Have silenced .50 cal sniper, silenced combat shotty, and silenced pistols. Tearin em up with this gear!

The animations are terrible though and is it just me or are the load times offensively long?

Back