Failing Prime at Stock Speeds <K8v Deluxe+ A64 3400+>

CaNNoN

Gawd
Hello [H] junkies.

been a while since i posted here. got more into my mustangs than computers these days.

anyways on to the problem.

i have the following setup.

Asus K8V Deluxe
A64 3400+
Mushkin lvl 2 black BH-5 2x256 sticks <2-2-2-6> set by SPD or AUTO in BIOS
BB ATI Radeon 9800XT
PCP&C 400 watt PSU with plenty of rail power.
2x36gb WD raptor 10k RPM HDD's in raid0 32k stripes.

the problem i am having is BSODS and failing prime at STOCK speeds, and voltages with everything set by the BIOS as default.

i flashed the BIOS to version 1008 and cleared the CMOS manually after it shut down.
now i get BSODS when gaming BF1942, hardware error causing windows to shut down to protect this POS lol.

my cooling is sufficiant. i have a Thermalright 948U heatsink and a sunon 90mm fan flowing 50cfm for around 28-30* idle temps and 36* load temps.

my radeon has a heatsink mod done with a thermaltake volcano 10, ranksinks and the works and it runs around 48*c loaded. no OC to tany of my hardware anymore.

any ideas on what may cause these damn BSODS on a stock system and why it would fail prime after the first set of lucas iterations?

thanks.

no, but i bet that would be a good idea lol.

thanks for the tip.

anything else to look at?

i knoe memory usually causes BSODS, but i was thingking maybe this new BIOS 1008 might have had something to do with it? it was flashed by asus update and then i rebooted and cleared the CMOS.

ill try a memtest.

I have recently had the same problem with memory that would auto at 2-2-2-5. The A64 3000+ just couldn't handle that aggressive timing. I relaxed the timing a little and it has been running fine. Hope this might help.

I think it's either:

-Memtest needs to be run to check memory for errors.

-Make sure it's the latest Prime95.

-Add a small increase in voltage in case the cpu is being undervolted.

-Try conserving energy or power in your house/room.

welp, ran memtest for 27 hours. 3 hours while working in the foreground with memtest running in the background, and the rest while my rig was at idle over night.

no errors, no crashes. i think the memory is fine. i gave it 2.8 vdimm just because i know the mushkin memory likes voltage. so far no problems. havnt had a BSOD in a couple days.

i will give the CPU a little more voltage because asus probe does read all my rails slightly undervolted maybe by like .5 volts. i will give it more juice and see whats it does. im not even close to any heat problems so i think the voltage may help it. of course i will stress test tho.

im gonna research this, but anyone else with a k8v deluxe have any probs with the board undervolting? it seems all my rails are undervolted and i checked my molex's with a voltometer and i get strong 12v, 5 and 3 v rails right off the PSU. remember, this is a PC power and cooling 400 watt, it has some pretty damn good power running out of it. i know the PSU isnt the problem.

so the testing contenues.

thanks for the help guys :cool:

I just built system for someone K8V SE board + AMD64 3000+ATI9600xt.
OMG, I've spent entire day trying to figure what's wrong. This board is "EXTREMELY" picky on the memory.
I even got the memory that's recommended by Asus, Kingston 512MB KVR400X64C3/512
but this damn thing would reboot every time while loading XP.
I've tried all different memory timings and only thing that I had to change to have stable system is to lower memory speed :mad: from 400 to 333MHz.
Now, everything works just fine :D , no crashes since

Also, the voltage readings are somewhat low. i.e +12V = 11.52?!
+3V= 3.23. +5V=4.95 . This is with Antec sonata power supply(380W)

Back