F@H based on CPU Speed alone?

I was just wondering if p2 Xeon's would fold any faster than they're p2 counterparts?

Would the 1mb cache make a difference?

cache dosent make that much of a difference in F@H... it will be faster, but not by much...

In general FPU performance is by far the biggest factor in F@H system output.

There is no reason not to use P-II Xeons, but I wouldn't spend extra to fold with a Xeon over a stand version of the same CPU.

Originally posted by FLECOM
cache dosent make that much of a difference in F@H... it will be faster, but not by much...

Okay if cache doesn't make any difference then why would a pent 4 2.0 fold faster then a 2.0 Celeron of a different cache size ?

well i'm about to bring up @ home at least another 400mhz p2, and i'm itching to build a dually but i don't have much cash. I'm inquiring now about building a p2 xeon 450/1mb cache/100 dually. As i can get most of the parts for under $100 total w/o ram. i'm just hoping i can get a few more bucks in paypal for shipping :p

Originally posted by The[H]uman
Okay if cache doesn't make any difference then why would a pent 4 2.0 fold faster then a 2.0 Celeron of a different cache size ?

that has to do with the arcetecture of the P4/Celeron... it just fking sucks without an assload of cache

plus the celeron just blows anyway

Originally posted by liquidtrance123
ya my cat can do faster calculations with its ass, than a celery 2 gig

Now that is frikin' coool cat. Or does it run real hot?

Fold On!
10000.gif
10000.gif
10000.gif

nah i shaved it, so it disipates heat rather fast....its a shaved pussy that runs faster than a celery!:p

Cache does have some effect.

The difference between similar-cored Durons/XPs isn't large like the Celeron/P4 difference, but IIRC the Durons were a bit slower. I don't know if we've ever checked to see if the Bartons are faster than older XPs but they could be slightly faster at the same clock.

CIWS is the guy who did a lot of testing with different CPUs...maybe PM him for more details.

ya the bartons are faster @ stock... but not much... also they run cooler and OC pretty well..

My bartons curretly pull down on a whole, 1-2 PPD/GHz

Not a whop of a lot. on the AMD platform.

But celery to P4? massive difference.

Originally posted by liquidtrance123
nah i shaved it, so it disipates heat rather fast....its a shaved pussy that runs faster than a celery!:p

Sweeeeet. :D

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread. This hijacking is now over. ;)

Fold On!
10000.gif
10000.gif
10000.gif

I just put together another p2 400mhz with no case:D :p my first, and besides feeling like mr. wizard, i was wondering if this would complete work units in time? Cache ECC and RAM ECC is enabled. (not sure if that makes a speed difference, should slow it down a tad):confused:

I know my pent III 500 finishs in time but with tinkers it will be really close sometimes.

About to just give it to my sister let her elec. bill run up for it i have other boxes that fold faster and i've borged more since i first started with that one so it's scheduled to move on

Back