Eyefinity - dp-vga monitor always losing signal problem

FinalAura

[H]ard|Gawd
Sorry for the long post, but this is quite a problem for me and want to state it out as clearly as I can

I have a non reference Diamond 5870 1gb (its pretty much a powercolor PCS+) running 3 1680x1050 NEC 20wmgx2 monitors. Two are connected dvi, one via vga>displayport adapter.

Whenever I run some games such as Dirt 2, Crysis Warhead, and BFBC2, the monitor connected on the displayport (using displayport to vga adapter) will more often then not, lose signal. Maybe 1/10 times it will work. However, if I alt tab or exit the game, I will lose signal on that monitor as well. This is a really annoying problem.

Its weird because games like L4D2, Trine, and assassins creed work flawlessly.

Here's what I have tried to remedy the problem:

---------------------------------------------------

-Tried catalyst 10.3-10.6, all act the same

-I tried using the displayport alone in a non-eyefinity situation to isolate the fact that maybe eyefinity was the problem. The monitor still loses signal.

-With the display port alone once again, I tried switching my monitor that keeps losing signal with a different lcd and even a CRT and it still loses signal, so the issue is not my monitor.

-To verify that the vga on my monitors were not the issue, I tried using the DVI to VGA dongle to get display off the dvi port and when I ran the games, they worked flawlessly, never losing signal

-I tried different VGA cables and three different displayport adapters and they all act the same.
Monster: http://www.frys.com/product/6227300?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
accell (officially validated by ATi): http://www.frys.com/product/6191849?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024605&p_id=6003&seq=1&format=2

-I have installed my monitor drivers

-I tried flashing the bios with a powercolor PCS+ and that didnt do anything.

-------------------------------------------

I have searched around the forums and found a fix saying to flash the bios to a modded version that gives more voltage to teh displayport, but I have a non-ref card and am not able to do that.

So whats the deal? I can only come to the conclusion that the card is the problem... Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I've gone through the same kind of stuff, but with an active DVI adapter that was not on the validated list.

You need this. Have not had a single problem with any driver or game since I got it. Last I checked no DP->VGA adapter was "validated."

Edit: NVM...looks like they have added VGA dongle since I last looked at that list. You sure you got one that has validated firmware? Also make sure you contact Diamond and ask specifically for a BIOS that raises the voltage on the DP output. ATI has an article about it somewhere (I'll add a link when I find it).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Tried contacting diamond, they dont pick up the phone or answer emails. Pretty much fail.

Usually swapping DP adapters helps people but I see you've already tried that, does running your card at different clock speeds change anything?

Also some people have the best luck with 10.3b, if you are downgrading drivers make sure to uninstall the newer ones first or Windows will continue to use them even after you install the older ones.

Back