Eyefinity + BFBC2

Ristogod

Limp Gawd
Sucks big time. I was hesitant about upgrading to an Eyefinity setup. But sites like this one and a few others really hyped the heck out of it and convinced me it was the next best thing.

So I dropped about $900 into new monitors solely to play this game using the technology. It's great when it works. But before Eyefinity I would maybe crash once every couple of days or so. Now I'm crashing 5-10 times a night.

I've been playing around with different drivers and application profiles, different settings. The FOV is set at the default 55 setting. I just can't keep this game running with the new monitors.

I'm using 2 5870s in Crossfire with Cats 10.3b + Apr 7 Profile updates.

The game is completely unplayable now. Anyone know the trick to making this game work on Eyefinity without crashing?

Sucks big time. I was hesitant about upgrading to an Eyefinity setup. But sites like this one and a few others really hyped the heck out of it and convinced me it was the next best thing.

So I dropped about $900 into new monitors solely to play this game using the technology. It's great when it works. But before Eyefinity I would maybe crash once every couple of days or so. Now I'm crashing 5-10 times a night.

I've been playing around with different drivers and application profiles, different settings. The FOV is set at the default 55 setting. I just can't keep this game running with the new monitors.

I'm using 2 5870s in Crossfire with Cats 10.3b + Apr 7 Profile updates.

The game is completely unplayable now. Anyone know the trick to making this game work on Eyefinity without crashing?

I was playing BFBC2 from release on Eyefinity with no crashes, now the last week I crash a couple times a day too. Not sure what changed, but my buddy has been crashing out on his 8800 Ultra too so I think something on EA's end..

Asus P6T Deluxe V2
CPU Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz
Graphics 2 Asus Radeon HD5870 Crossfire
Memory 12GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
Cooling Solution Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Display Hanns·G HG-281DPB 28" LCD, BenQ G2400W 24" LCD
Soundcard & Speakers AuzenTech X-Plosion, Logitech Z-5500 Digital
Hard-Drives Intel X-25M 80GB G2 SSD, Patriot Torqx 256GB SSD, Western Digital 1TB Black
Optical Drives Phillips DVD-RW DL Lightscribe
Power Supply Silverstone DA750
Case Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE
Input Devices Logitech G15, Razer Mamba
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Taken from his System Specs @ Rage3D. :p

I had a quirky issue in xfire with this game, I dropped my cpu back to default and not a single issue. I know for certain this was an ATI issue because I am currently running 2 480's oc'd as well as my 920 at 4.0 with no problems on the TC 860. Kept crashing, all screens would go black, and get recognized again in windows, then eventually hang.

I haven't had any crashes but CrossFire has issues with Eyefinity in alot of games.

Asus P6T Deluxe V2
CPU Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz
Graphics 2 Asus Radeon HD5870 Crossfire
Memory 12GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
Cooling Solution Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Display 3 NEC EA231WMI-BK Black 23" Eyefinity
Soundcard & Speakers AuzenTech X-Plosion, Logitech Z-5500 Digital
Hard-Drives Intel X-25M 80GB G2 SSD, Patriot Torqx 256GB SSD, Western Digital 1TB Black
Optical Drives Phillips DVD-RW DL Lightscribe
Power Supply Silverstone DA750
Case Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE
Input Devices Logitech G15, Razer Mamba
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Taken from his System Specs @ Rage3D. :p

Yeah. Thanks. I forget to update my specs on Rage3D, and forget that this forum doesn't have the same specs feature. I'll update above. The monitors are different.

What is your setup? Are the monitors resetting? What happens?

I get a quick sudden pause followed by a crash to desktop.

I had a quirky issue in xfire with this game, I dropped my cpu back to default and not a single issue. I know for certain this was an ATI issue because I am currently running 2 480's oc'd as well as my 920 at 4.0 with no problems on the TC 860. Kept crashing, all screens would go black, and get recognized again in windows, then eventually hang.

I'd hate to lose my overclock. My OC is more modest than yours. It's worth a try I suppose.

I haven't had any crashes but CrossFire has issues with Eyefinity in alot of games.

As I'm finding out.

No one has any ideas? I've tried everything I can think of and it still keeps crashing to desktop.

If anyone is thinking about going Eyefinity, I seriously urge you not to. It's been the worst experience I've ever had to deal with concerning PC gaming. I feel totally duped by all the hypers.

No problems with single 5870 Eyefinity here in BFBC2 (or any other game so far). I hear that crossfire support for Eyefinity is less than ideal right now, though. Might want to drop back to a single card until that's sorted out.

Yeah I agree with the last poster - have you tried 1 5870 (disable crossfire) with eyefinity and get the crashes?

I'm using a single 5870 with eyefinity and BC2 is a very pleasant experience.

turn up the fans on the cards. my issues were completely heat related, and symptoms exactly the same as yours. I know they sound like jets, but it's what it takes for stability. I have a mild OC on my card to 900mhz and it crashes if I forget to turn up the fans when gaming. Adding a waterblock to my loop for this badboy, fan is WAY too loud.

edit- I turn up my fans to ~35-60% depending on game. 60% for BC2.

No one has any ideas? I've tried everything I can think of and it still keeps crashing to desktop.

If anyone is thinking about going Eyefinity, I seriously urge you not to. It's been the worst experience I've ever had to deal with concerning PC gaming. I feel totally duped by all the hypers.

Have you actually tried any troubleshooting?

Run BFBC2 in single GPU Eyefinity mode? Run BFBC2 in Crossfire single monitor? Single GPU single monitor? Are you positive it's the 3 monitor aspect that's crashing it, like I said BFBC2 has tons of stability complaints already.

This is a Battlefield Bad Company 2 issue period.
Give up on the trouble shooting. Why? Because crashing started in the last couple of weeks on all graphics card/cpu type of setups. My GTX260 started booting back to the desktop after an hour of play this weekend and randomly does it now. This is a Dice/EA issue. You can't have this broad of systems crashing to desktop and blame a particular card/cpu/mobo/monitor. I know of a close friend who is having a fit with it on his 4890, much like I am on my GTX260. Crashing in this game has been posted on numerous other boards I have read.

Yet, I played WoW, AvP(new one) , and Batman:AA for a few hours and no problems. Lets not get into a hardware war here folks, its the game. ;)

Eyefinity works perfect on MW2 , Portal , COD4 , TF2 , Need for Speed Shift , Dirt 2 and a few other games I've tried. This is a Driver issue or a EA / DICE issue !

it's just another ATI driver bug....hope they fix these issues soon. ATI better get there act together soon.

it's just another ATI driver bug....hope they fix these issues soon. ATI better get there act together soon.

Or what? You will go nVidia and have the same issue or more since drivers over here have gone craptastic with 197 versions. :rolleyes: Guess you don't read or follow well. Its not an "ATI" issue. Its the game. The crashing problem is on both ATI and Nvidia.

I haven't had an issue with Eyefinity crashing in any game since I got my setup. But I have a single 5870. Try running without crossfire IMO and see how it runs.

Eyefinity works perfect on MW2 , Portal , COD4 , TF2 , Need for Speed Shift , Dirt 2 and a few other games I've tried. This is a Driver issue or a EA / DICE issue !

How did you get Eyefinity to work on a game like MW2 that doesn't even have a proper FOV to begin with.

When BC2 first came out I was having 0 issues with crashes in Eyefinity + 5870. The last 10 days or so however have been complete hell. CTD's at least 5 times a night (over about 2.5 hours of play). It's damn frustrating.

I have run BC2 using Crossfired XFX 1GB 5870 in EF (three 24" Dell 2410) and now with Crossfired ASUS 2GB 5870s and I have not had one single problem.

I've been playing the Steam version since it was released.

I have played pretty much every game out there in EF and aside from FOV quirks, I have had a very smooth and enjoyable gaming experience with EF and Crossfire.

My advice, if your cards are overclocked, return them to stock.:D

No problems with any games running properly here, in fact, all the horror stories of people having issues with eyefinity havent happened with me, everything works exactly as it should, no muss no fuss. Modest overclock on cpu and memory as well (CPU at 3.6 mem at 1768...or so?)

havent had any performance issues or crashing with BFBC2 at all since ive been playing. that being said im only playing the singleplayer campaign right now. been using 10.3a since the release without problems.
that being said i've seen tons of posts online at various sources having a huge array of different problems with BFBC2. some driver related, some game related, some patch related. there are dozens of reasons why one setup might have issues and another wouldnt. ( drivers, unstable overclocks, improper settings, heat etc...) the game does work well with crossfire/eyefinity.

Last edited:
I've played BC2 for 80 hours on eyefinity. I crash in both eyefinity and single monitor... I've just learned to live with it. It seems a wide range of people with different hardwares experience random crashes.

How did you get Eyefinity to work on a game like MW2 that doesn't even have a proper FOV to begin with.

Widescreen Gaming Forum is your friend. They have a bunch of scripts that are bindable to keys for fixing FoV and/or third party patches/applications similar to a 'Trainer' for fixing FoV. The guys there have been doing widescreen gaming for 3-4 years with Matrix TripleHead-2-Go and have fixes for literately probably 80+ games that dont natively support proper FoV.

Widescreen Gaming Forum is your friend. They have a bunch of scripts that are bindable to keys for fixing FoV and/or third party patches/applications similar to a 'Trainer' for fixing FoV. The guys there have been doing widescreen gaming for 3-4 years with Matrix TripleHead-2-Go and have fixes for literately probably 80+ games that dont natively support proper FoV.

I've used the fixes there and I STILL can't get MW2 or COD4 to play in Eyefinity. I know this is off topic, but can you tell me what you did to get it to work?

I've used the fixes there and I STILL can't get MW2 or COD4 to play in Eyefinity. I know this is off topic, but can you tell me what you did to get it to work?

Don't take this the wrong way just sayin.. Widescreen Fixer only works on the uncracked .exe's because the memory addresses are different. But I know some people couldn't get it working even though they weren't cracking the exe.

Have you actually tried any troubleshooting?

Run BFBC2 in single GPU Eyefinity mode? Run BFBC2 in Crossfire single monitor? Single GPU single monitor? Are you positive it's the 3 monitor aspect that's crashing it, like I said BFBC2 has tons of stability complaints already.

Yes, I've tried everything possible thing I could think of at this point.

Here is a thread of me talking about the things I've tried. Also me getting upset and typing profanity while the forum blocks it.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33961699

This is a Battlefield Bad Company 2 issue period.
Give up on the trouble shooting. Why? Because crashing started in the last couple of weeks on all graphics card/cpu type of setups. My GTX260 started booting back to the desktop after an hour of play this weekend and randomly does it now. This is a Dice/EA issue. You can't have this broad of systems crashing to desktop and blame a particular card/cpu/mobo/monitor. I know of a close friend who is having a fit with it on his 4890, much like I am on my GTX260. Crashing in this game has been posted on numerous other boards I have read.

Yet, I played WoW, AvP(new one) , and Batman:AA for a few hours and no problems. Lets not get into a hardware war here folks, its the game. ;)

It's not the game. I can play with a single screen without a crash for 2-4 hours. If I turn on Eyefinity, I crash about 2-3 times an hour.

Yes, I haven't experienced any other crashes in any other games. However I'm only interested in playing BC2 and have primarily been focused on trying to resolve the Eyefinity issues with that game.

+CPU @stock
+GPU/s @stock

Yes, I'm currently running stock everything. The game still crashes when Eyefinity is used.

Or what? You will go nVidia and have the same issue or more since drivers over here have gone craptastic with 197 versions. :rolleyes: Guess you don't read or follow well. Its not an "ATI" issue. Its the game. The crashing problem is on both ATI and Nvidia.

People may have crashing issues. But mine is solely related to Eyefinity. Single monitor plays without issue.

I haven't had an issue with Eyefinity crashing in any game since I got my setup. But I have a single 5870. Try running without crossfire IMO and see how it runs.

Have tried with Crossfire disabled. Crashes. Have tried switching cards around. Crashes. Have tried card 1 alone with card 2 physically removed. Crashes. Have tried card 2 alone with card 1 physically removed. Crashes.

When BC2 first came out I was having 0 issues with crashes in Eyefinity + 5870. The last 10 days or so however have been complete hell. CTD's at least 5 times a night (over about 2.5 hours of play). It's damn frustrating.

Extremely frustrating as every time I crash I'm forced to wait to get back on the server I play on.

I have run BC2 using Crossfired XFX 1GB 5870 in EF (three 24" Dell 2410) and now with Crossfired ASUS 2GB 5870s and I have not had one single problem.

I've been playing the Steam version since it was released.

I have played pretty much every game out there in EF and aside from FOV quirks, I have had a very smooth and enjoyable gaming experience with EF and Crossfire.

My advice, if your cards are overclocked, return them to stock.:D

I'm not overclocked on my GPUs, nor have I ever been. My CPU was OC'ed @ 3.8GHz completely stable. It's now running default speeds. In either case when Eyefinity is used the game crashes.

I'm now running the 10.4 preview drivers. I've updated my motherboard's BIOS to the latest 1003 version. I've gone through all the devices and made sure the latest drivers were installed. Nothing has worked.

Everytime MW2 is patched widescreen fixer has to roll out a new version... if for (whatever reason...) you're not running the latest patch, you have to run an older version of widescreen fixer.

Try deleting your bc2 folder in your documents not the one in programs. Restart the game and it will create a new one. Leave the settings files a lone and see if that helps. Just because it says 55 on there doesn't mean that it is running a 55 fov.

you could try the old 10.1 and 10.2 drivers and see if they improve the performance.

MW2 is working perfect for me in Eyefinity. Yes there are updates to the game and I have to wait for Dopefish to fix it but Its what you have to deal with. And YES Widescreengamingforum is the place for any problems with FOV and other issues.

I've got a friend who was getting crashes in BC2 with eyefinity but not single screen. What seemed to reduce the crashes to a bearable level (1 after several hours instead of a few every hour) was turning off fraps. May want to try that if you have it running.

Last week I was starting to get a few CTDs in eyefinity in dx9 and dx11 modes (after 60+ hours of maybe only 5 CTDs). Since playing in dx10 I haven't had a crash in around 10 hours of play, so you may want to try that as well if you haven't already.

Try deleting your bc2 folder in your documents not the one in programs. Restart the game and it will create a new one. Leave the settings files a lone and see if that helps. Just because it says 55 on there doesn't mean that it is running a 55 fov.

That is a good idea. I will try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

did you try the new 10.4 preview drivers?

they seem to have been tweaked for bc2

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATI-Catalyst-10-4-Hotfix.aspx

Yes, I tried those drivers. After installing them, I was able to play one night without issue. But each subsequent night has reintroduced the crashes.

I've got a friend who was getting crashes in BC2 with eyefinity but not single screen. What seemed to reduce the crashes to a bearable level (1 after several hours instead of a few every hour) was turning off fraps. May want to try that if you have it running.

Last week I was starting to get a few CTDs in eyefinity in dx9 and dx11 modes (after 60+ hours of maybe only 5 CTDs). Since playing in dx10 I haven't had a crash in around 10 hours of play, so you may want to try that as well if you haven't already.

I have used FRAPS to test for good frame rates. But I've already established good frame rates now and I have not been using FRAPS while playing. Regardless, I still get the crashes.

Trying different DX modes is another good idea though. I hadn't thought of that. I'll see about trying it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Alright, try this. Close all third party software including antivirus, afterburner, amd oc tool, etc... Go to properties on bc2 and run as administrator. Something on your system is bugging the game down. Also you can try to delete the pb folder in bc2 and reinstall pb.

Back