extremely odd issue with microSDHC card

Tsumi

[H]F Junkie
So I have a 32gb Sandisk microSDHC class 4 card for my android phone, and I was trying to put a new OS on it. I tried to delete the old OS, but it won't delete. Some errors popped up saying the volume couldn't be found, etc. I hit retry, and it *appeared* to work, as it went on deleting.

So, files disappear from the folder. Done, right? Nope, did a refresh of the window and files were still there. I tried doing this in my tablet using Astro. Deleted the folder, and it disappeared from the Astro. Popped it back into my computer, and it was still there. At this point, I decided a format was in order. Error checking did not do anything.

Here's where things got strange. I could back up everything on the card, and I was able to verify that the backups were working (pictures, music, etc). In fact, when I put it in my tablet, I can play music from it. However, formats refused to work at all. It seemed as if the card was "stuck." I couldn't delete any file on it, nor format it. Tried with the stock Windows formatter, then MiniTool Partition Wizard. Windows returned "could not complete the format." Trying to copy a file to the card resulted in failure.

At this point, I'm at my wit's end. Any idea what's going on?

So I have a 32gb Sandisk microSDHC class 4 card for my android phone, and I was trying to put a new OS on it. I tried to delete the old OS, but it won't delete. Some errors popped up saying the volume couldn't be found, etc. I hit retry, and it *appeared* to work, as it went on deleting.

So, files disappear from the folder. Done, right? Nope, did a refresh of the window and files were still there. I tried doing this in my tablet using Astro. Deleted the folder, and it disappeared from the Astro. Popped it back into my computer, and it was still there. At this point, I decided a format was in order. Error checking did not do anything.

Here's where things got strange. I could back up everything on the card, and I was able to verify that the backups were working (pictures, music, etc). In fact, when I put it in my tablet, I can play music from it. However, formats refused to work at all. It seemed as if the card was "stuck." I couldn't delete any file on it, nor format it. Tried with the stock Windows formatter, then MiniTool Partition Wizard. Windows returned "could not complete the format." Trying to copy a file to the card resulted in failure.

At this point, I'm at my wit's end. Any idea what's going on?

Well, it sounds like the micro sd is write protected. Here is a page with info on fixing it. http://www.instructables.com/id/Remove-the-write-protection-on-a-Micro-SD./

I think I would have been able to figure that out, and the computer would have said write protected. Plus, my tablet does not use an SD card, the microSD just goes straight in (Acer Iconia A500).

Looking at other posts online with the same problem, it seems as if the card is plain dead.

I think I would have been able to figure that out, and the computer would have said write protected. Plus, my tablet does not use an SD card, the microSD just goes straight in (Acer Iconia A500).

Looking at other posts online with the same problem, it seems as if the card is plain dead.

Actually, the computer wouldn't say write protected (it would do exactly what it is doing, allow you to read but not format or delete), that error hasn't been around since floppies. If your card is write protected, you would need to slip the microsd card into a full size adapter, which has the switch to change the mode, switch to non-protected and then plug it into a slot and then remove it again.

The thing you linked said absolutely nothing about that at all.

Having the lock on made the SD card invisible to the computer. Nothing showed up at all. Subsequently turning off the lock seems to have made the card completely inaccessible. Tried with two different microSDHC to SDHC adapters.

The thing you linked said absolutely nothing about that at all.

Having the lock on made the SD card invisible to the computer. Nothing showed up at all. Subsequently turning off the lock seems to have made the card completely inaccessible. Tried with two different microSDHC to SDHC adapters.

The text, just above step 1, "figured out the painfully obvious way to unlock it. " shows the picture under it showing you have to put the micro sd card in the adapter and then slide the write protect. Hover over the rectangles the picture and it points out what to do. Switching the lock switch should not make the card disappear or inaccessible, so it is likely the card is just toast. Get whatever data off it and get a new one.

Back