extremely bizarre networking problem..

ejoech

[H]ard|Gawd
A few months ago I wired a network into a home consisting of 3 drops...structured cable, used a patch panel, etc. Did everything the right way. They only had one computer and it worked fine for the drop it was connected to. I used my CAT5 tester to test the other two drops and they tested fine. They have since moved the computer into another room and get the "MEDIA DISCONNECTED" error. I brought my laptop andconnected it to the same drop with the same cable and it works perfectly. So I thought hmm, bad NIC. Bought a new NIC and I still get the media disconnected error. So I thought hmm..bad motherboard? So I tried using a different computer(350mhz..old computer)...STILL get the media disconnected error..yet the laptop still works perfectly.

Bizarre right? I've tried messing with every setting..I have no idea what the problem is. It just doesn't make sense. The only difference in ipconfig /all is that on the laptop it says "Node Type: Mixed", while on the computer it says "Node Type: Broadcast". I have no idea what that means or how to change it..but it was the only difference.

Also, the NIC on the laptop is gigabit while the other 3 nics I tried with the desktops were fast ethernet. Any ideas?

The patch cable says "verified to EIA/TIA568B .2 CAT5E" I punched down the keystones and patch panelaccording to 568B standards, not A. Could that be theproblem? I have a feeling it has to do with the gigabit nic perhaps?

I really don't know..extremely confusing!

help please..thank you.

edit: forgot to include - they're all connected via a linksys router. and both desktops and laptop have WinXP PRO installed. Reformatted and reinstalled XP Pro on one of the computers, no luck. Repaired windows XP on the other computer, no luck.

Are you using Static or Dynamic IP addresses?

If your're using Dynamic try running static on the desktops.

Try forcing the speed and duplex settings. Sometimes the autonegotiate crap doesn't work as it should and you'll need to force it. Try 10 Half first and move up from there.

The linksys router, is it a gigabit switch, or 100Mbit? The only thing I can suggest is checking the wiring, as a gigabit card can switch the send/receive pairs on it's own, whereas 10/100Mbit cards cannot. Do you have access to a network cable tester? That would be an easy way to see if the pairs are right.

Yes, I have a networkcable tester. I remember they all tested out green, may not have been in the correct order now that I think of it. So you think i should either re punch the wires or get a gigabit nic?

thank you very much!
oh and the linksys router/switch is not gigabit.

Party2go9820 said:
Try forcing the speed and duplex settings. Sometimes the autonegotiate crap doesn't work as it should and you'll need to force it. Try 10 Half first and move up from there.

I'd second this suggestion. We've got some proprietary wireless gear that flakes out when certain cards aren't set at 10-half (ie. auto-negotiation fails).

Thanks. I have a feeling that i need to re-punch the cat5 or buy a gigabit nic. If that doesn't work, i'll foolwith the duplex settings. thanks

Back