External SATA enclosure, USB?

Zyzzyva100

[H]ard|Gawd
I know that they make enclosures now to make use of external sata ports, but I would rather have usb2 so that I can move the drives between computers. Anyone know if they make external enclosures that accept sata drives, and then have a usb2 connection. Reason being I currently have 4 200 gig sata drives, and want to move to SFF, so I would only be able to use 2 internally, but still want that storage space, and it would be nice to hook the stuff to my laptop too.

Otherwise, any reccomendations on sata controller cards that have 2 external ports?

Zyzzyva100 said:
I know that they make enclosures now to make use of external sata ports, but I would rather have usb2 so that I can move the drives between computers. Anyone know if they make external enclosures that accept sata drives, and then have a usb2 connection. Reason being I currently have 4 200 gig sata drives, and want to move to SFF, so I would only be able to use 2 internally, but still want that storage space, and it would be nice to hook the stuff to my laptop too.

Otherwise, any reccomendations on sata controller cards that have 2 external ports?

I don't know if it is possible to do what you are asking, at least no one has made a drive yet. The closeset you could come is a Lacie Triple Interface Drive with Firewire 400/800 and USB2. They are also one of the only manufacturers I have seen that make external SATA drives yet. So unless you require boot support, Firewire 800 is 100MB/sec, and that is perfectly capable of supporting even the fastest ATA drives.

Oops, sorry I didn't see you already had 4 SATA drivs, need to pay better attention next time :)

Well I know that there are enclosures that are external SATA, meaning you put an sata drive in, and theres an internal hookup. Then externally theres an eSATA port, which would hook to an external eSATA port in a pci card on your computer.

Since I will have no extra pci slots in the shuttle Im getting Im wondering if there are any enclosures where have an sata connector inside, but then the external connection to the computer is usb2. This is just for mass storage, so Im not going to go to a lot of trouble. I can always sell the drives an get pata drive to put in an enclosure, I was just curious if I could use what I already have, thats all.

There was another post asking for this a couple weeks ago here.

There are a few links in that thread to different brands of what you are looking for.

Back