External image stabilization (IS) for photography?

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings,

I use a Canon T3i and have a 70-200mm f/2.8L ii. The random thought came to me, considering that IS is built into the lens, and in some camera bodies of other brands ... are there any good external image stabilization products for photography? Perhaps like a mount that is somehow attached to the operator's body and uses a gyro or something to keep the camera still despite the movements of my body from breathing? It might be better than handholding the camera (shakey hands/arms in some situations, like trying to take a portrait shot -- it can be pretty heavy holding it like this vs taking a landscape and holding the camera at normal orientation).

Essentially what you're describing is a steady cam. But as you can imagine, by having something strapped to your body, it doesn't really allow for flexibility in terms of being able to angle or reposition the camera quickly. Also you won't be able to have the eyepiece of the camera near your eye. Generally steady cams are operated with external monitors or in the case of DV cams with their digital displays.

There have been steady cam systems developed for dSLR's, but as with all steady cams in general, their purpose is generally for video.

Generally speaking, northrop's suggestion of a tripod (or I suppose a monopod as well) would be the most reasonable solution. There isn't a solution that exists without some sort of compromise.

For Canon's IS (which is a form of OIS) you're saying weight is an issue.
Tripods you don't feel are mobile enough
Steady cams are expensive and inflexible and for the most part designed for video.

There may be some other option in here, but I certainly don't know of one.

Get a lighter and/or shorter lens? That'll help with both the weight issue and the image shake problems.

Greetings,

I use a Canon T3i and have a 70-200mm f/2.8L ii. The random thought came to me, considering that IS is built into the lens, and in some camera bodies of other brands ... are there any good external image stabilization products for photography? Perhaps like a mount that is somehow attached to the operator's body and uses a gyro or something to keep the camera still despite the movements of my body from breathing? It might be better than handholding the camera (shakey hands/arms in some situations, like trying to take a portrait shot -- it can be pretty heavy holding it like this vs taking a landscape and holding the camera at normal orientation).

I would say to get some lighter lenses.

Maybe get at least a couple nice primes. One for portraits and one for landscapes.

You will also get better picture quality from primes then from the zoom you are using now.

Also, in body IS is pretty awesome. Not having to pay ungoldy prices to get lenses with IS is very nice.

On the cheaper end I use The Pocket Rig for some extra stability.

While not perfect it has in most cases allowed me to leave the shutter open longer by several stops which can be quite a difference. With practice you can be even more steady. The support arm is very customizable and fairly quickly to so you can adjust to the position or subjects you are trying to shoot. In-combination with good IS it can be a reasonable solution depending on what you are looking for.

Tripods can be restrictive but what about a Mono-pod? Depending on what your subject is that may help.

As others have said changing lenses to better suit the shot you are after may help but it comes down to what you are shooting and can / want to afford.

Basically what you're explaining is a stable cam but as you can think about by having something secured to your whole body it doesn't really allow for versatility with regards to being able to position or reposition the electronic camera easily also you won't be able to have the eyepiece of the electronic camera near your eye. Usually stable cameras are managed with exterior watches or in the situation of DV cameras with their electronic shows.

Back