Extended my system's life - RX 570

jlbenedict

2[H]4U
Did something I couldn't imagine myself doing; purchased a used GPU off eBay.
Grabbed an MSI RX 570 4gb Gaming X for $129

Been gaming on a budget build that I put together in 2016. (yes, I was aware AM3+ was a dying platorm back then)

FX-6300 + MSI Gaming 970

Previously had a MSI GTX 950, 2gb variety..
While it performed well; sometimes looking back if I could have squeezed it in the budget, a 4gb card would have been more appropriate such as GTX 960 ...
Some of the titles I have been playing recently seemed to show the 950's "inadequacies"; Wildlands, Mafia 3, Sniper Elite 4 on my current playing queue that had me on the prowl for a replacement..

Besides gaming, obviously.. anything else I should do to put the 570 through it's paces to ensure reliability?
FurMark needed?
Anyway to check if it's been BIOS modded?

This is what GPU-z is showing:
upload_2018-10-26_11-27-14.png

Just run 3-4 passes with Superposition... if it survives that it should game.

I would never run Furmark on anything frankly. It's a special use torture test. It generates heat levels that could hurt cards under the right circumstances.

As far as outright purchase price, the 570 has got to be the best bang for the buck of "real" gaming cards out there. It trades blows with the 1060 3GB for a lot less money and has 4GB.

Just run 3-4 passes with Superposition... if it survives that it should game.

I would never run Furmark on anything frankly. It's a special use torture test. It generates heat levels that could hurt cards under the right circumstances.

As far as outright purchase price, the 570 has got to be the best bang for the buck of "real" gaming cards out there. It trades blows with the 1060 3GB for a lot less money and has 4GB.

if using a product crates temrpeatue that hurts the product. the products is not desigend well.
don't fall for marketings and accept bad products.

furmark does nothing special besides usign repeadetd highly optimized shaders.
it might not reflect real world usage but its just using the GPU like any other software.

the entire idea of a stress test is to stress the component to mkae sure it can handle a load.
not to give a checkmark for no reason

if using a product crates temrpeatue that hurts the product. the products is not desigend well.
don't fall for marketings and accept bad products.

furmark does nothing special besides usign repeadetd highly optimized shaders.
it might not reflect real world usage but its just using the GPU like any other software.

the entire idea of a stress test is to stress the component to mkae sure it can handle a load.
not to give a checkmark for no reason

I think my above post is an example of a good stress.
It makes it pretty hard on your reading part of the brain....

Let me see it's Fire Strike gpu score in 1.1 as I have a brand new XFX with about the same clocks , driver 18.10.2 all default clocks as it will be FX 6300 vs 2200g if the platform at lowest cpu would offer you anything as another $225 new .

Congrats on the upgrade!

I recently did something similar myself: went from an 4c/4t i5-750 to a 4c/8t Xeon. Also went from a GTX 960 to a 980 Ti.... $250 total.

As far as stress testing: besides 3dmark and Unigine Heaven.... I dunno, just game?

ENJOY!!

(try and get an 8350 for cheap if you can)

The Xeon is a hidden gem of a CPU. It's a nice upgrade for cheap on the right platform. :)

RX 570 4GB is also a nice little video card for the money especially on the second hand market.

The Xeon is a hidden gem of a CPU. It's a nice upgrade for cheap on the right platform. :)

Would've been nicer if I didn't have to remove the mobo from the case in order swap cpu's (heatsink mounting BS etc)

But for less than $30? Tsk. ZERO COMPLAINTS.

So far, so good.. Wildlands is working out nicely now that I am able to go from 720p to 1080p.

Load up hwinfo and mine on it for a few hours... look for GPU memory errors... if it can pass that it’s golden

Load up hwinfo and mine on it for a few hours... look for GPU memory errors... if it can pass that it’s golden

Uhhh just run Aida64 for an hour or so....

If that's good, run Prime95 overnight.

Boom-bam done.

Back