ext WD drive works in USB port on only laptop, not desktop

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a 4 TB WD Black P10 Game drive, which I use for file storage on my laptop. I plugged this drive into my Win 10 Pro 64, 2H22 desktop to transfer files, but the desktop system didn't recognize the drive. I tried Administrative Settings and MiniTool Partition Wizard 12, but neither would recognize the drive.

What are my options here?

These external drives have a junk usb interface to connect to the internal HD. Strip it down and see if you can use the HD stand-alone. It says USB3 compatable but try a usb 2 port if you have one. try the usb-c if you have a port.

These external drives have a junk usb interface to connect to the internal HD. Strip it down and see if you can use the HD stand-alone. It says USB3 compatable but try a usb 2 port if you have one. try the usb-c if you have a port.
This drive does not have a separate USB interface. :mad: The USB connector is built into the drive's motherboard. :hungover: So my takeaway here is not to buy any more WD external drives. I haven't touched Seagate in years. I guess my next step is to research Seagate external drives, or else buy a loose drive and a drive case.

I've done the aftermarket external and it trashed my drive on like the 2nd use. Now, fk the usb garbage enclosure junk. I just plug it straight up to sata.

It's likely a power issue. Not all computers/MBs will route enough power through the USB ports to run a drive. Check your BIOS or MB software to see if there's an option for phone charging power or something that can be enabled. If you have more than one port (front vs back) try that. Alternatively, get a powered hub that advertises it can charge a phone, or get a USBA->C cable and try those ports.

The protocol is standard, so if it works in one but not the other, it's not the drive that's at fault. Buying a separate drive and enclosure, if they use just as much power, will lead to the same issue.

The ports on the back are your best bet to get it working, ports connected to headers often have power issues with the drives.

Back