Express Card?

enelson125

Limp Gawd
Anyone seen any expresscards yet? I have a Z71V laptop, which has an expresscard slot. I was just curious about what's out there or is going to be.

There's nothing to put in them. Maybe firewire, but everything else already comes onboard most laptops. You have to wait for newer IO technologies and accessories to come out before anyone makes ExpressCards.

I could see putting decent soundcards in expresscard formats. Laptop sound has always been lacking.

ExpressCards not only offer more bandwidth, but they are physically much smaller than PC Card/CardBus. The smaller size could mean multiple ExpressCard slots, or it could free up room for vents, other connectors, optical drives, etc.

Also, the increased bandwidth could even pave the way to ExpressCard video modules for capture or 3D acceleration. An external interface like this would make user-upgradeable video modules more feasible.

On the whole, however, I wouldn't say that I/O bandwidth is a big concern in notebooks right now.

enelson125 said:
Anyone seen any expresscards yet? I have a Z71V laptop, which has an expresscard slot. I was just curious about what's out there or is going to be.

I was looking at notebooks and have seen some with expresscard slots and wondering myself WTF they were for. I can not find ANY actual expresscards for sale. Not 1 product!!!! I figured I'd find something such as wireless expresscards, or something like that. But no. I have done lots of google searchs and can find NOTHING at all that uses these slots.

you have to give it some time, it's still relatively new. that came with intels new chipset, hence not everyone has the latest, some OEM still use older chipsets. just give it a year, i855 is becoming obsolete and yonah should really push them.

I think that 2007 will be the year ExpressCard really takes off. There needs to be broader host support of the interface as well as more ExpressCard-compatible peripheral ICs.

Back