Excited! I just ordered my new PC from Avadirect!

shaunh20

Limp Gawd
I just now got my new PC ordered – now the 10-14 day wait begins! Thanks to this site and these forums for helping me to find this place. I nearly ordered from vigorgaming.com until I found this company.

www.avadirect.com
Steve Seman
800-808-8299

CUSTOM COMPUTER, Core™ 2 Duo SLI Performance Series System $1519.14

• THERMALTAKE, Tsunami Black Mid-Tower Case w/ Window, ATX, 400W PSU, Aluminum
• ANTEC, NeoPower 650 Blue High Efficiency Power Supply, 650W, 24-pin ATX12V EPS12V, SLI Ready, 120mm LED Fan, 5-Year Warranty
• ASUS, P5N-E SLI, LGA775, nForce 650i SLI, 1066MHz FSB, DDR2-800 8GB /4, PCIe x16 SLI /2, SATA RAID 5 /5, HDA, GbLAN, FW /2, ATX, Retail
• INTEL, Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 Quad-Core, 2.4GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB (2 x 4MB) L2 Cache, 65nm, 105W, EM64T EIST VT XD, Retail
• OCZ, 2GB (2 x 1GB) Gold GX XTC PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz CL 5-5-5-12 SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
• ASUS, EN8800GT/HTDP/1G/A, GeForce® 8800GT 600MHz, 1GB GDDR3 1800MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, DVI /2, HDTV-Out, Retail
• WESTERN DIGITAL, 150GB WD Raptor®, SATA 150MB/s, 10000 RPM, 16MB cache
• RAID, No RAID, Independent HDD Drives
• LITE-ON, LH-20A1L Black/Beige 20x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Burner w/ LightScribe, SATA, Retail
• MICROSOFT, Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 32-bit, OEM
• WARRANTY, Silver Warranty Package (3 years limited parts & 3 year labor warranty)

I know the storage space is low but i'm going to take the 250 gig HD from my now-dead Falcon and use that as a secondary drive. I honestly gave up the space for the speed of the Raptor as I thought it was a worthwhile tradeoff since I had this extra HD.

Thanks all, I just hope it's stable, my Falcon Northwest I spent $2800 on was never stable. That thing could crash just sitting in Windows XP running Firefox and nothing else. I wouldn't even be doing anything and it'd just get a BSOD, freeze or just restart on me. I sent it back and they replaced the motherboard and some ram and got it back after them working on it for a month and same thing.

So I'm really, really, really, really, really, really nervous about this machine giving me errors, freezing or whatnot. I just mostly want a STABLE computer! I'm tired of 2 years of troubleshooting, forum posts asking for advice and emails/phone calls with technicians!!

Nice! The PC in my sig is from AVA, too. I hope you like yours as much as i like mine. :)

Nice! The PC in my sig is from AVA, too. I hope you like yours as much as i like mine. :)

Thanks Mr. Wolf, I sure as well hope I do too, in all of my years of computing, which is about 20 years now, i've never suffered so much as of the last 2 1/2 years. I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy my PC again.

BTW - a lot of folks at work are giving me grief about ordering from some "unknown" shop instead of Dell. Any advice on what to say to them? I pointed out this companies rep and their better warranty and all but everyone is still saying I just threw away $1500 on something unknown.

Tell the people at work to check out the consumer ratings for Dell.At present at ResellersRatings,Dell is at 1.34.AVAdirect gets a 9.60.Doesn't take a genius to figure out who's better.:D

tell them to check out the AVA page and see if they can negotiate all the options

Then tell them that's why they should stick with Dell :D

Tell the people at work to check out the consumer ratings for Dell.At present at ResellersRatings,Dell is at 1.34.AVAdirect gets a 9.60.Doesn't take a genius to figure out who's better.:D

That's exactly what scared me off of Dell!!

tell them to check out the AVA page and see if they can negotiate all the options

Then tell them that's why they should stick with Dell :D

LMAO, omg that is very good man, i'll tell them to go check that site out and see their reaction!!

For people that have a computer from AVADirect - do they offer you a restore CD and the original Windows Vista? Also, does anyone know if you can get a partition on the HD as well as the restore CD? I think Vigorgaming PC offered you the option for a restore partition and a restore CD for like $17 extra.

Also, I presume they give you the original Vista discs and manual right?

I'm really scared by Dell's rating also, but if you look at all the other name brand companies, they all have bad ratings. But if you actually read them, they're almost all about shipping, placing orders, and customer support ABOUT shipping and placing orders. But if you read the once in a while bad reviews on boutiques, they're all about hardware failures and unstablility, and that scares me more than shipping.

I'm really scared by Dell's rating also, but if you look at all the other name brand companies, they all have bad ratings. But if you actually read them, they're almost all about shipping, placing orders, and customer support ABOUT shipping and placing orders. But if you read the once in a while bad reviews on boutiques, they're all about hardware failures and unstablility, and that scares me more than shipping.

Unstability should read instability, as the former is not a real word. Hardware failures can happen to any computer that you purchase from any OEM or otherwise. It all comes down to the manufacturer. Instability can also be caused by a number of factors, including BIOS revisions, motherboard revisions, drivers and other software.

Once again, people trust big, known corporations over the smaller, less-known companies. This is just the side affect of our consumerism. Just give them your input after testing the computer for a few weeks. Show them that for the same unit from Dell (albeit with lesser quality hardware) would cost probably cost more. Also, AVA allows a huge amount of customization.

The other thing that is most people only post if they have a PROBLEM. They generally don't post if they have a good experience.

So with Dell being so huge, of course you're going to have more people having problems and posting about those problems. Dell probably has more people with problems than AVA Direct has total customers. :p

The other thing that is most people only post if they have a PROBLEM. They generally don't post if they have a good experience.

So with Dell being so huge, of course you're going to have more people having problems and posting about those problems. Dell probably has more people with problems than AVA Direct has total customers. :p

Good point but you can be very large and still have great customer service. The fact Dell has a lot of problems with their PC doesn't bother me so much as the fact of how they choose to handle, or not in so many cases handle, the issues.

What is the old saying that it's not the true measure of a business if they have a problem, it's how said business handles that problem that shows their measure.

For people that have a computer from AVADirect - do they offer you a restore CD and the original Windows Vista? Also, does anyone know if you can get a partition on the HD as well as the restore CD? I think Vigorgaming PC offered you the option for a restore partition and a restore CD for like $17 extra.

Also, I presume they give you the original Vista discs and manual right?

I would suggest calling Steve, your sales rep, about those things.

I would suggest calling Steve, your sales rep, about those things.

Thanks but Misha already IM'ed me and answered them for me. I'm glad I asked because a restore CD does not come with it normally, so I added it on.

Quite frankly I have read a ton of those Dell reviews at reseller ratings and I saw a number of bad reviews related to hardware and poor customer service issues.

Hardware issues are going to happen, it's just a fact of life. I don't expect any company to not have any hardware failures and/or stability issues. However, I do expect competent customer service. Competent customer service does not mean keeping me on hold for an hour waiting to speak with someone I cannot understand or passes me off to someone else. In my opinion that's where Dell is seriously lacking.

Unstability should read instability, as the former is not a real word. Hardware failures can happen to any computer that you purchase from any OEM or otherwise. It all comes down to the manufacturer. Instability can also be caused by a number of factors, including BIOS revisions, motherboard revisions, drivers and other software.

Once again, people trust big, known corporations over the smaller, less-known companies. This is just the side affect of our consumerism. Just give them your input after testing the computer for a few weeks. Show them that for the same unit from Dell (albeit with lesser quality hardware) would cost probably cost more. Also, AVA allows a huge amount of customization.

side affect should read side effect.

I don't understand why people keep saying that bigger companies cost more and only in "idea" offer less quality. Please actually read the reviews negative reviews about Dell, and compare them to the negative reviews about boutiques, and you will find that there are ALMOST no bad reviews on Dell's HARDWARE yet that's all you will find on bad reviews about boutiques. Why? Because Dell is a manufacture, they produce way more computers than the smaller companies, and their testing on their parts is very extenssive. Whereas boutique computers having a 99.99% that all of their parts are compatible, Dell would more likely to be at 99.999%.
And on pricing, please actually go configure a Dell and check their detailed tech specs before you say that they are more expenssive. Dell's XPS 720 series configured with the same manufacture and amount and speed of ram, same video card, same processor, compared to a computer from AVADirect or Velocity Micro are $100-200 cheaper except the XPS has a better motherboard. I'm not trying to say boutiques aren't as good as Dell, I'm saying that they function differently. Boutiques hand build their computers and offers better customer support.

Dell's XPS 720 series configured with the same manufacture and amount and speed of ram, same video card, same processor, compared to a computer from AVADirect or Velocity Micro are $100-200 cheaper except the XPS has a better motherboard.

Yeah, when it comes to motherboards Dell's are definetly the best! :rolleyes:

I don't understand why people keep saying that bigger companies cost more and only in "idea" offer less quality. Please actually read the reviews negative reviews about Dell, and compare them to the negative reviews about boutiques, and you will find that there are ALMOST no bad reviews on Dell's HARDWARE yet that's all you will find on bad reviews about boutiques. Why? Because Dell is a manufacture, they produce way more computers than the smaller companies, and their testing on their parts is very extenssive. Whereas boutique computers having a 99.99% that all of their parts are compatible, Dell would more likely to be at 99.999%.
And on pricing, please actually go configure a Dell and check their detailed tech specs before you say that they are more expenssive. Dell's XPS 720 series configured with the same manufacture and amount and speed of ram, same video card, same processor, compared to a computer from AVADirect or Velocity Micro are $100-200 cheaper except the XPS has a better motherboard. I'm not trying to say boutiques aren't as good as Dell, I'm saying that they function differently. Boutiques hand build their computers and offers better customer support.

That's just flat out wrong, I configured Dell 720's many times with the system i'm getting and they were always more expensive than the $1500 machine i'm getting from AVADirect.

Just to doublecheck I just now went and built the Dell 720 below which is almost exactly what I"m getting from AVADirect (I'm getting a 1 gig ASUS videocard which is slightly better but Dell doesn't offer this option - however let's call it even because Dell would be giving me a keyboard and mouse - something i'm not getting from AVADirect). With a 3 year warranty to get it to my door it's $2044.14....in fairness to Dell i'll remove the tax to compare since i'm not paying tax to AVADirect - but even still it's $1946.79 or $423.92 more than what I am paying to AVADirect.:

My Components
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium edit
MEMORY 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 DIMMs edit
HARD DRIVE 160GB - WD Raptor 10000RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability edit
MONITOR No Monitor edit
VIDEO CARD nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB edit
SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit
KEYBOARD Dell USB Keyboard edit
MOUSE Dell Optical USB Mouse edit
FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive or Media Reader Included edit
MODEM No Modem Requested

...?

That's just flat out wrong, I configured Dell 720's many times with the system i'm getting and they were always more expensive than the $1500 machine i'm getting from AVADirect.

Just to doublecheck I just now went and built the Dell 720 below which is almost exactly what I"m getting from AVADirect (I'm getting a 1 gig ASUS videocard which is slightly better but Dell doesn't offer this option - however let's call it even because Dell would be giving me a keyboard and mouse - something i'm not getting from AVADirect). With a 3 year warranty to get it to my door it's $2044.14....in fairness to Dell i'll remove the tax to compare since i'm not paying tax to AVADirect - but even still it's $1946.79 or $423.92 more than what I am paying to AVADirect.:

My Components
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability edit
MONITOR No Monitor edit
MODEM No Modem Requested

Ur configuration is outdated. Dell's XPS 720 comes standard with 3 Gigs of 800 mhz 4 DIMMS ram, I don't understand why it says 2 Gigs. Also the dell has a 160 gig Raptor, a 750 Watt power supply, and NVIDIA® nForce 680i SLI motherboard. But like I said before, you will need to customer support for a boutique, which is why a 3 year warranty is included. I'm talking about without the warranty, which subtracts like $350 from the dell.

Ur configuration is outdated. Dell's XPS 720 comes standard with 3 Gigs of 800 mhz 4 DIMMS ram, I don't understand why it says 2 Gigs. Also the dell has a 160 gig Raptor, a 750 Watt power supply, and NVIDIA® nForce 680i SLI motherboard. But like I said before, you will need to customer support for a boutique, which is why a 3 year warranty is included. I'm talking about without the warranty, which subtracts like $350 from the dell.

No, it's not an outdated config, I used the site, I changed from 3Gigs of ram to 2 Gigs manually since that is what i'm getting on my AVAdirect PC so why would I want to leave it at 3Gigs for the Dell, which would make it even more expensive than the AVADirect PC? The other stuff is all the same hardware wise except there's a 100 watt more power supply and the motherboard is one version newer (mine is 650i which by all accounts is an older but more stable board from all i've read) both of which are offset in my opinion by AVAdirect allowing me to get a superior case in the ThermalTake case and professionally done wiring which allows for better case cooling.

As for the warranty, you can't take off the 3 year warranty from Dell's to make things more even because it's just as likely i'll need support on a Dell as a boutique PC. We should not be comparing a Dell 1 year warranty to a boutique 3 year warranty, if you want to be honest about what you're comparing. If you're comparing the two honestly you have to make them the same as possible to make the comparison valid. And when it's all said and done the Dell ends up costing about 20 to 25% more than AVADirect.

Now i'm not saying maybe I won't regret choosing not to get my new PC from Dell or whatnot, perhaps my experience will be bad with AVADirect like my Falcon Northwest experience (if i could journey back in time and give my $$$ to Dell over Falcon Northwest I'd do it in a heartbeat), all i'm saying is that the assertion that pound for pound Dell, Gateway and the large companies will usually undercut boutiques on price is simply not always true.. Perhaps on the cheapest of the cheap machines they might but not mid and upper range machines.

No, it's not an outdated config, I used the site, I changed from 3Gigs of ram to 2 Gigs manually since that is what i'm getting on my AVAdirect PC so why would I want to leave it at 3Gigs for the Dell, which would make it even more expensive than the AVADirect PC? The other stuff is all the same hardware wise except there's a 100 watt more power supply and the motherboard is one version newer (mine is 650i which by all accounts is an older but more stable board from all i've read) both of which are offset in my opinion by AVAdirect allowing me to get a superior case in the ThermalTake case and professionally done wiring which allows for better case cooling.

As for the warranty, you can't take off the 3 year warranty from Dell's to make things more even because it's just as likely i'll need support on a Dell as a boutique PC. We should not be comparing a Dell 1 year warranty to a boutique 3 year warranty, if you want to be honest about what you're comparing. If you're comparing the two honestly you have to make them the same as possible to make the comparison valid. And when it's all said and done the Dell ends up costing about 20 to 25% more than AVADirect.

Now i'm not saying maybe I won't regret choosing not to get my new PC from Dell or whatnot, perhaps my experience will be bad with AVADirect like my Falcon Northwest experience (if i could journey back in time and give my $$$ to Dell over Falcon Northwest I'd do it in a heartbeat), all i'm saying is that the assertion that pound for pound Dell, Gateway and the large companies will usually undercut boutiques on price is simply not always true.. Perhaps on the cheapest of the cheap machines they might but not mid and upper range machines.

the reason why I said it's outdated is because about a month ago it costs $150 to change to 3 gig memory. Now it's default settings with no added price, so why would you want 3 gig instead of 2 gigs for the same price? And my point about the warranty is like the same about the ram, you can't choose a 1 year warranty from AVADirect, it's defaulted at 3 years. And I'm not saying ur gonna regret buying from AVADirect, I'm just saying boutiques aren't always cheaper than mainstream. Plus AVA is the cheapest out of the known boutiques, I should have said VM, Maingear, Puget, etc.

And crosshairs we're correcting grammar mistakes, so thats should be that's. 4 DIMMS is what it says on Dell's website so I guess you're wrong.

A larger user base will always be harder to appeal to, AVA direct has maybe 3,000 customers and Dell has probably over 100 million. Plus, it's all about knowing how to deal with a company, I've owned 5 Dells in my lifetime all of which have been very good PC's, and if you got a clunker they will replace it for you with an upgrade. I'd build myself PC's if I had the time but i don't, and Dells suit me just fine.

But that's me.

Anyway, good luck with the system.

My Components
MONITOR No Monitor edit
MODEM No Modem Requested

#1: The Dell warranty is far more extensive, you get next day parts and will never have to ship it to a depot saving time...and time is money. AKA: Comparing apples to oranges

#2: Configure it with the XPS 420, it's building the same tier system as you're getting and that I believe should be cheaper.

I'm not trying to bash your purchase really, just trying to set the facts straight. I don't favor boutiques over Tier 1's or Tier 1's over boutiques. It's all about who offers what for what kind of money.

Soul if you are basing your assertions that Dell is great because you did not see one negative review on resellerratings.com then folks are going to have a hard time taking your seriously. Seriously, did you go through all the 1,300 of the Dell reviews on resellers??? Come on man....there are negative reviews on that site regarding Dell's hardware. There isn't a computer manufacturer out there that doesn't have some negative comment regarding their hardware. There have been plenty of negative comments regarding Dell's motherboard and power supply used their XPS 720 H2C. There have also been complaints regarding their "cheap" DVD/CD drives and the fact that rigs with multiple GPU configurations run incredible hot. There was one reviewer that stated that the blast of heat coming from the back of the XPS 720 was similar to a volcano.

One last comment regarding reviews on resellerratings.com. Ever notice when one of the boutique companies has a negative comment posted on that website it is usually followed by a response from the manufacturer? In many instances the boutique will acknowledge the mistake, provide detail as to "how we attempted to solve the problem" or "here is how we can go about solving the problem". Ever see those types of comments/replies for the Dell reviews?

#1: The Dell warranty is far more extensive, you get next day parts and will never have to ship it to a depot saving time...and time is money. AKA: Comparing apples to oranges

Time is money, you are right, and sitting for a long time on hold and trying to convince an idiot tech who doesn't know his stuff means Dell will lag behind AVADirect or any direct vendor that is not staffed with minimum wage workers, possibly from overseas. Not to mention that AVADirect has a store that is brick and mortar that I can actually drive my PC to get fixed if i'm really wanting it fixed fast, something Dell cannot offer.

#2: Configure it with the XPS 420, it's building the same tier system as you're getting and that I believe should be cheaper.

No, the system I got compares to the 720 both in casing and in SLI capable, which the 420 is not.

I'm not trying to bash your purchase really, just trying to set the facts straight. I don't favor boutiques over Tier 1's or Tier 1's over boutiques. It's all about who offers what for what kind of money.

I agree with your last sentence, if I wanted a $499 PC for example it'd make much more sense to go to Dell or Gateway for that.

1)

One last comment regarding reviews on resellerratings.com. Ever notice when one of the boutique companies has a negative comment posted on that website it is usually followed by a response from the manufacturer? In many instances the boutique will acknowledge the mistake, provide detail as to "how we attempted to solve the problem" or "here is how we can go about solving the problem". Ever see those types of comments/replies for the Dell reviews?

Pretty much sums up why I'm going with AVADirect instead of Dell, not the fact that AVADirect is about 20% cheaper for my particular machine.

I'm not piocking sides, but just remember that the smaller the company, the more at risk is the long-term warranty

For that matter,when's the last time you saw a Dell rep respond here in [H]ard? AVA,Puget,and VM all maintain a presence here.(Heck,I think Heather from Puget lives here!:D)Clearly,these companies are far more dedicated to their customers than Dell ever will be.

For that matter,when's the last time you saw a Dell rep respond here in [H]ard? AVA,Puget,and VM all maintain a presence here.(Heck,I think Heather from Puget lives here!:D)Clearly,these companies are far more dedicated to their customers than Dell ever will be.

Dell doesn't need to go to forums to sell PC's. They also have their own forum, so when people have issues they can go to their site. People like bashing big companies, Dell, MS, etc. I've owned a Dell (Dimension 4700), didn't have a single issue with it. Also the Dell Vostro is an awesome deal. Complete PC with 20" LCD for under $500. Slap in a vid card and possibly bigger PSU and you're good to go.

Back