Exact hard drive to hard drive copy

zeroARMY

[H]ard|Gawd
Right now I have two WD 80GB IDE hard drives in my PC. Hard drive one is for OS and games, hard drive two is for music and movies. Something is wrong with hard drive one and it emmits a loud and annoying high-pitched whirl sound while in motion. Hard drive two is perfectly quiet. I can’t stand hard drive one because my PC is in the same room I work and sleep, and it is constantly annoying (it’s pissing me off right now). I need to do something about it.
My plan is to order a 120GB SATA drive and hook it up so I can make an EXACT copy of hard drive one to the new hard drive. I will then RMA hard drive one and keep if for future systems and keep the 120GB SATA. It will be my new OS and games hard drive. I really, really don’t want to reformat.
I need to know how to make the copy. Once I hook everything up, I will have three hard drives and I’m assuming and I can transfer everything from one to another. I would prefer to not do it in Windows and do it through a Dos process if possible.
Let me know how this can be done, what I need, and if there are any draw backs to this process.
Thanks.

Norton ghost run in dos would do it. I would hurry with the cloning of the drive though, it sounds like it may be on its way out.

Sweet, I did some research and doing Ghost in Dos looks to be the answer.

I don't have a really floppy drive though, only a USB one. Problem?

Can you boot from your USB floppy drive? That is a requirement. Otherwise, you should be okay.

use ghost 2003. no floppy needed. configured in windows, but ran in dos, it'll reboot after you are done selecting options, then run the program in dos, then reboot again. all done.

it's the WD, they have whine problems for some reason. like really annoying whining problems. have had 2 like that, buddy has had three.

^HOLY CRAP, Ultimate Boot CD is the coolest thing I have ever seen!

Back