EVGA X58 VREG limit 100c?

Crispy002

[H]ard|Gawd
I picked up a new 920 chip (D0, w00t!) today and shoved it in my sig rig. Ran at very low voltage and had excellent temps per clock as a result. After upping the speed to 20x200 and getting voltages adjusted, I was able to get 4ghz running in prime95. The CPU temps were decent but not terrible, however, the VREG temps climbed rapidly.

The last temperature I saw on e-leet was 95C, I assume it reached 100c. Power was cut from my comp instantly. There were no audible pops and no smell of smoke. All power seems to be cut from the board. The blue LED light by the 24 pin connector won't even light up when the PSU is flipped on. Is this mobo a paperweight now or have I just tripped some sensor that needs the batt removed or some jumper fix?

The EVGA x58 is fairly notorious for high vreg temps, and I read somewhere the solid state caps could take quite a bit of heat before having to shut down. Regardless, keep it below 100c!

the only thing you can really do is reset the bios or take out the battery.

100C on the vreg of this board is high but it shouldn't cause any problems. There is a button on the mobo to reset the bios, you just have to push it. It is all in the manual. If it still doesn't work, contact evga, customer service.

Just tested with another system, the Corsair 620HX is bad, mobo is fine. Long live EVGA!

I zip-tied a pair of 60mm fans to my x58 SLI mobo VREG heatsinks. At 3.8 OC temps stay in the low 60s.

I found out my power supply died, the motherboard may still be ok. I'll know by next week when the replacement arrives.

At one point I had a 40mm fan on my vreg but it didn't move enough air to do anything. How'd you do the 2x60mm? Push-pull or side by side?

Most Vregs have a rated _operating_ temperature of up to 120-125C. They won't be damaged until even higher.

Back