EVGA Supernova 1500w PSU teased an hour ago

thesecond

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1677705

From what I've gathered:

1. It has a HANDLE! :p
2. Fully modular
3. Individually sleeved cables come stock. Also has fancy power cable.
4. Has usb interface for real time desktop monitoring of voltages, current draw, temperature, fan speed, efficiency.
5. Has software fan controller.
6. Switchable single/nulti rail? (anybody care to explain the point of this? I thought the single vs multi argument was dead)
7. 10 year warranty (holy crap)

I think the built in fan controller software is a super cool idea if it works. I also think this might be setting a precedent to having individually sleeved cables stock instead of optional. Hopefully they figure out a lower power version for single gpu users like me.

I'd also like to know why the ability to switch from single to multi rails is something that I could use (or anyone else:)

I like the current draw feature. I bet this thing will have a hefty price tag on it.

What a beast. I feel like I'll need to call the power company first to get permission to turn it on :p

Dunno about the handle, You're not going to be holding the computer by the PSU, at least not me. :p But it looks like a solid piece of engineering.

6. Switchable single/nulti rail? (anybody care to explain the point of this? I thought the single vs multi argument was dead)

Well, there is the question of that tiny risk of shorting a big single rail causing the wire to overheat and burn. But it's generally not a problem anyways, if it was, we'd have it happening often. But having the multi-rail swtich will give those who -want- that option the chance to get the PSU without any hesitation.

Dunno about the handle, You're not going to be holding the computer by the PSU, at least not me. :p But it looks like a solid piece of engineering.

Well, there is the question of that tiny risk of shorting a big single rail causing the wire to overheat and burn. But it's generally not a problem anyways, if it was, we'd have it happening often. But having the multi-rail swtich will give those who -want- that option the chance to get the PSU without any hesitation.

Gives it that industrial look, makes it look like a hot swap psu.

very nice PSU.. Thats alot of power.. Not real sure why you would need that much :)

Ahhhh, noobie title showing its colors...You're on [H] now. No reason for wanting, needing, or getting moar powwa needed :D Welcome btw!

What a beast. I feel like I'll need to call the power company first to get permission to turn it on :p

Yeah, might have to seriously consider doing this, especially in the older homes around Huntington Harbor for me.

Do systems really need a power supply this big?

Server towers with 10 harddrives i can see, but for personal computing?

Do systems really need a power supply this big?

Server towers with 10 harddrives i can see, but for personal computing?

I think with multiple hard drives/SSDs and either Tri-CFX or Tri-SLI and everything o/c'ed may go into the upper limits of what this PSU can offer.

I think with multiple hard drives/SSDs and either Tri-CFX or Tri-SLI and everything o/c'ed may go into the upper limits of what this PSU can offer.

I'd say you would need a dual processor overclocked system with overclocked quad-SLI/X-fire 680/7970s (they use less power than previous generation) to need this kind of power. Maybe a nice 20 drive array on top too :).

Hard drives (especially SSDs) really don't need that much power. Quad SLI with dual overclocked procs maybe, but unless NVIDIA/AMD are coming out with a significantly more hungry GPU than what currently exists, I'm not sure what could actually make use of this.

Hard drives (especially SSDs) really don't need that much power. Quad SLI with dual overclocked procs maybe, but unless NVIDIA/AMD are coming out with a significantly more hungry GPU than what currently exists, I'm not sure what could actually make use of this.

Your main concern with HDD's is making sure the 12v rail/rails can handle the initial start up spike of the drives booting.

With staggered spinup i can run 38 7200rpm drives off a single Corsair TX-750 because of its beefy single 12v rail.

With a PSU like this from EVGA, with staggered spinup, 60+ drives easily achievable.

want.

i agree the handle is kinda tacky if it has no actual purpose, i wish it would at least fold down when not needed.

Imho its pretty cheap @ 450. You're paying for what is hopefully the best psu on the market, reliabilty, custom sleeved cables (hopefully good quality), and 1500w of Beasty'nes.

Id buy it if i needed it. Hopefully they make it in smaller size's like 850, 1200, and so on.

Back