eVGA Step-up from a 8800 GT Overclocked?

Cantroy

Lurker
Ok, quick question: I bought a 8800 GT 512 meg card that honestly does what I want it to do, with the possible exception of future graphic demands, games, etc. I paid 214 for it, and $ doesn't grow on my trees.

I can "update" to the 260 for less than $200 I think <399-214> but would I see any difference? is it worth it? Anyone out there do something similar and think that may be a good idea? I have no desire to do the 280... well, that's not true, I do, but I won't shell out that much $.

So, should I sit tight? I'm extremely tempted to do exactly that, but I had bought this eVGA card in order to keep my options open for the step-up in the first place...

Ok, quick question: I bought a 8800 GT 512 meg card that honestly does what I want it to do, with the possible exception of future graphic demands, games, etc. I paid 214 for it, and $ doesn't grow on my trees.

I can "update" to the 260 for less than $200 I think <399-214> but would I see any difference? is it worth it? Anyone out there do something similar and think that may be a good idea? I have no desire to do the 280... well, that's not true, I do, but I won't shell out that much $.

So, should I sit tight? I'm extremely tempted to do exactly that, but I had bought this eVGA card in order to keep my options open for the step-up in the first place...

i would do it. but i would wait until the last day of my step up eligibility to ensure nothing better gets released. if you do this, make sure you understand when your last day of step up eligibility is. :D

I am stepping up from a 8800GTS to the 260's. I cant wait, I am #50 :(

I am stepping up from a 8800GTS to the 260's. I cant wait, I am #50 :(

when i stepped up to my 8800GT i went from #126 to 'order being processed' in 1 day. not saying that's typical, just saying it's what happened to me. in my opinion EVGA is a great company. any nvidia card i purchase in the future will be from them due to their step up program, presence on [H], and great customer service (in my experience).

Yes, but would you step up to the 260 now? THAT is the question...

I wish I already had the card so I could compare them side by side... it has to justify another ~$200.

Personally, I'm waiting for the 9800GTX and GX2 to drop in prices. EVGA still lists them at over $300 each. I'm running on a 9600GT that I bought about 2 weeks ago. I would love to see them hit the $199 mark, which would make a very affordable upgrade for me.

The 260 and 280 probably won't drop too much, but they may come down a little bit.

Although, the retail prices may come down, in many cases EVGA's MSRP does not. The MSRP is something that stays static regardless of retail demand or lack thereof.

If you are getting 214 for your GT definately do it. The GT is worth about 125 bucks used these days. I'm stepping up my 9800GTX because i'm getting 269 for them, whereas used i could only sell them for around 175.

Back