EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked w/ ACX Cooler 3 GB review from techpowerup

Unless I read the article wrong there does not seem to be any advantage of the ACX in terms of real life performance. A couple degrees difference on load but you then you have all that hot air expelling into the case vs out the back.

Guru3d had the cooler at 63c full load. I'm not sure which one is more believable.

Unless I read the article wrong there does not seem to be any advantage of the ACX in terms of real life performance. A couple degrees difference on load but you then you have all that hot air expelling into the case vs out the back.

Did you look at the performance charts, specifically showing it outperforming the Titan?

Did you look at the performance charts, specifically showing it outperforming the Titan?

That's because the 780 GPU 1065mhz max OC vs Titan GPU 990mhz max OC. I am sorry, but that's a very crappy Titan OC. Most people get 1050-1100mhz on a Titan.

Instead of getting that custom EVGA card, I'd rather wait for the custom PCB cards to show up.

Guru3d's review of the ACX painted a much different picture. Glad I got two of them before they vanished off the egg.

They look ok, cool great, but I don't like that they disperse hot air back in my case.

That's because the 780 GPU 1065mhz max OC vs Titan GPU 990mhz max OC. I am sorry, but that's a very crappy Titan OC. Most people get 1050-1100mhz on a Titan.

You mean stock boost. Those were not max oc results.

OK, now I'm at a lose. Do I still get the GTX Titan SC or the GTX 780 SC ACX? The SC ACX, even though it has half the VRAM still is on par, if not better then the standard Titan, even on surround which I'll be running. If that doesn't say future proof (at least 2-3 years, average life of my cards). And its about $300 less.

OK, now I'm at a lose. Do I still get the GTX Titan SC or the GTX 780 SC ACX? The SC ACX, even though it has half the VRAM still is on par, if not better then the standard Titan, even on surround which I'll be running. If that doesn't say future proof (at least 2-3 years, average life of my cards). And its about $300 less.
a single card? then of course just go with the 780 as you will not be running settings that need more than 3gb of vram. also you can simply upgrade again in about a year when the next gen cards are out.

It looks from results so far in reviews that the ACX 780 oc's better than the Titan, so performance oc-to-oc remains about equal.... the price tag, not so much. I got my ACX SC 780 ordered for $617.xx, it's now being prepared for shipment ;).

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/55725-evga-geforce-gtx-780-superclocked-acx/?page=10

That's another great review for it :eek: . They say in their testing it never exceeded 74c peak, with no throttling, and lower noise.

ACX cooler is pretty nice, but I've stopped using nonreference coolers because I'm tired of having hot air being dumped in my case and making the ambient temperature higher. I'm deaf and reference coolers at 100% has always done well for me.

It looks from results so far in reviews that the ACX 780 oc's better than the Titan, so performance oc-to-oc remains about equal.... the price tag, not so much. I got my ACX SC 780 ordered for $617.xx, it's now being prepared for shipment ;).

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/55725-evga-geforce-gtx-780-superclocked-acx/?page=10

That's another great review for it :eek: . They say in their testing it never exceeded 74c peak, with no throttling, and lower noise.

I think you want to sell me that card. You don't want it, no you don't. And newegg is OOS.:confused:

Any GPU cooler that ships with the card will keep it cool. Anything below 77C or so for constant gaming will be fine. The point of higher end coolers is to reduce the noise. HDDs, RAM, DVD drives ect. hardly over heat so the extra hot air in your case is no big deal. Get a quality GPU/CPU cooler to reduce the noise and you will be fine. Add a couple of case fans to keep the remaining components cool and add some air flow and you are fine.

If noise is of no concern, then save money and get the loud coolers.

I think you want to sell me that card. You don't want it, no you don't. And newegg is OOS.:confused:

I was refreshing neweggs site every minute or two with a 'GTX 780' search and managed to snag 2 of the ACX cards.. They were out of stock no more than 10-15 minutes later. So yeah, they sold out VERY fast.

I was refreshing neweggs site every minute or two with a 'GTX 780' search and managed to snag 2 of the ACX cards.. They were out of stock no more than 10-15 minutes later. So yeah, they sold out VERY fast.

Yeah, had the same issue - it's all good though. More aftermarket cards which should be even better are being released in a week or so, i'm excited to see how the asus DC2 does.

Although i'll definitely consider the ACX again if it's back in stock anytime soon..

What kind of logic this this?

EVGA Titan SC typically boosts to 1045~1058mhz. Does this mean this is max. Titan OC ??
I'm sure people can reach higher than 1065mhz with 780 as well.
EVGA's SC series always meant "slight" overclock. Nothing major. The point is even with the slight overclock, 780 manages to beat Titan at almost half the price. Do you get the picture now? :p (Not surprising, to be honest. Because the performance delta between stock 780 and stock Titan is ~5% anyway.)

Now, Titan officially is GTX780 6GB version. ROFL.

What kind of logic this this?

EVGA Titan SC typically boosts to 1045~1058mhz. Does this mean this is max. Titan OC ??
I'm sure people can reach higher than 1065mhz with 780 as well.
EVGA's SC series always meant "slight" overclock. Nothing major. The point is even with the slight overclock, 780 manages to beat Titan at almost half the price. Do you get the picture now? :p (Not surprising, to be honest. Because the performance delta between stock 780 and stock Titan is ~5% anyway.)

Now, Titan officially is GTX780 6GB version. ROFL.

The point is nobody runs a Titan at stock. Thus, the 780 OC should be compare to a Titan OC. In that case, obviously, the Titan would win. And, the price is 2/3 of a Titan. Not almost 1/2.

I bought a 780, it's going to be awesome. It's getting annoying though reading people bash the Titan (not just here) or people who bought one as if it's somehow inferior now because it costs more. It's still the better card.

The point is nobody runs a Titan at stock. Thus, the 780 OC should be compare to a Titan OC. In that case, obviously, the Titan would win. And, the price is 2/3 of a Titan. Not almost 1/2.

Oh really now? 780 OC to Titan OC even, is identical in TPU's review as well:

Max *BASE* GPU clock -- Max mem clock -- Max oc perf (bf3 1920 4xAA)

eVGA ACX 780 SC 1065 MHz -- 1855 MHz -- 127.9 FPS
NVIDIA GTX TITAN 990 MHz -- 1780 MHz -- 128.7 FPS

Remember the #'s are lower because they are quoting the base, not boost, clocks in their table.

SOURCE: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_780_SC_ACX_Cooler/29.html

I laugh when people say stuff like "ROFL" and the 780 6GB reference. Enjoy your cards now that you can justify purchasing one. We'll keep on enjoying our cards.

Btw, picking up a third Titan :)

It's just a higher clocked 680.

Absolutely. These cards are within 10% of each other. Titan is ~10% faster than the 780, and it's looks like the 780 will be ~10% faster than the 770. The 770 will have great OC potential as well.
If we can exceed a Titan with a 780 OC, can we match it with a 770 OC?

The question is, which card you rather spend your money on? Especially if the 770 is sub $500.

I have the upgrade itch but I must resist! Although the 780 SLI will be a nice upgrade from my 580 lightnings, I do not need the additional performance at this time. I am still working my way through my huge backlog playing old games such as Bioshock, The Witcher and BFBC2. By the time I get to newer games that need the additional processing power, Maxwell should be available and then I could get the 780 for cheap :D

Absolutely. These cards are within 10% of each other. Titan is ~10% faster than the 780, and it's looks like the 780 will be ~10% faster than the 770. The 770 will have great OC potential as well.

The question is, which card you rather spend your money on? Especially if the 770 is sub $500.

I highly doubt the 780 will only be 10% faster than the 770 - because we know that the 770 is basically a GTX 680 rebadged, with GPU boost 2.0 applied. The highest clocking GTX 680s were say, 5-10% faster than stock 680s. Well, we've seen benchmarks of the ACX GTX 780 which was 45% faster out of the box compared to the GTX 680 - so this leads me to believe there will still be a sizable gap between the two.

I could be wrong, but that's my speculation based on knowing the 770 is basically a slightly higher clocked 680 ;) IMHO, the stock 780s will still maintain a 20-25% lead over the 770s while the overclocked aftermarket 780s will have 30-35%.

Not sure if you've kept up with the 780 owners' thread over on OCN but the 780's when OC'd are matching/beating Titans OC'd to 1200mhz... ;), and we don't have unlocked 780 BIOS mods yet which is going to propel them above the oc'd Titans further. There is no 10% difference in the end... :D.

Not sure if you've kept up with the 780 owners' thread over on OCN but the 780's when OC'd are matching/beating Titans OC'd to 1200mhz... ;), and we don't have unlocked 780 BIOS mods yet which is going to propel them above the oc'd Titans further. There is no 10% difference in the end... :D.

A lot of upset Titan owners, i'm afraid. "How can this 650$ card match my 1000$ card" :cool: I just can't believe the argument from them suggesting that reviewers should use a modded vBIOS. Get real! I'm not sure if they're serious or actually believe modded cards should be used as a baseline in reviews. Of course they shouldn't - what comes out of a retail box is the baseline for a reviewer.

I think a lot of the cost differential with the Titan is devoted to having un-crippled DP (780 only has 1/24 DP) and having 6GB of VRAM. Titan was always designed for multi monitor freaks, anyway.

A lot of upset Titan owners, i'm afraid. "How can this 600$ card match my 1000$ card" :cool:

Yep, pretty much. I paid $617 for my eVGA 780 ACX SC shipped from the 'egg. The Titan was very short-lived, I honestly feel a bit bad for people who bought them expecting it to be the king for a year, which I saw a TON of people saying they did in the various owner threads. This was much quicker than normal, to have something match/beat them in.

We're comparing stock clocks, which all comparisons are based on.

Back