EVGA GTX 690 available..with a catch

Binar

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.evga.com/articles/00683/

EVGA is selling a combo

GTX 690 + their flagship motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2 for $1449

the motherboard is $525 on newegg or amazon

Also there's a $50 rebate on the motherboard making the combo $1400
sell the mobo for $500 (bellow the 2 biggest retailers and you got the GTX 690 for $900)
removing the UPC might make it harder to sell the mobo but you never know
All said this can turn into an amazing deal if all the chips fall in place (the rebate expires on 31st) http://www.evga.com/products/wwwrebates/1017_MAYMIRW555515to530EVGA.pdf

I think they're looking to unload $500 boat anchors, I mean motherboards.

Fuck that shit. Nice that EVGA is forcing us to buy a 500$ boat anchor (lol) like someone else said in order to get a 690.

You won't easily sell that motherboard. To say that its for a niche is an understatement, and its not exactly flying off the shelves at ebay. You will be lucky to get 350-400$ for it.

Isn't the whole point of a GTX 690 is that you don't need a $500 motherboard to run quad-SLI?

Jokes aside, it's a brilliant move to move a low volume product. I think I can fit that board in my TJ09, but I wouldn't populate both CPUs. Also, I have yet to see quad-SLI be worth the trouble.

Jokes aside, it's a brilliant move to move a low volume product. I think I can fit that board in my TJ09, but I wouldn't populate both CPUs. Also, I have yet to see quad-SLI be worth the trouble.

A brillaint move to move a low volume / demand product is to bundle two of them together?

A brillaint move to move a low volume / demand product is to bundle two of them together?

Its good for the company, they get more money. Yay, that makes me VERY happy....not. Not so good for customers that want 690s.

But they've sold out of the bundle apparently.

EVGA could combo a box of rocks with the 690 for $1600 at this point and it will still sell out.

Guess they were having problems getting rid of their stock of SR-2's... look to have a bunch of cheap SR-2's show up on eBay/here :D

The 690 isn't in low demand. It's brilliant (and beneficial to them) to make a buyer take a $500 motherboard when buying a 690.

Fuck that shit. Nice that EVGA is forcing us to buy a 500$ boat anchor (lol) like someone else said in order to get a 690.

You won't easily sell that motherboard. To say that its for a niche is an understatement, and its not exactly flying off the shelves at ebay. You will be lucky to get 350-400$ for it.

It is a boat anchor given that it uses outdated sockets.

Isn't the whole point of a GTX 690 is that you don't need a $500 motherboard to run quad-SLI?

No it isn't. The point is for more power in a smaller package. And running 4 separate cards is 4-Way SLI. Quad-SLI is 4 GPUs with 2 cards.

I have a TJ-09 and no you can't. The SR-2 is larger than ATX / E-ATX. They call it HPTX. Basically it's XL-ATX.

I have a TJ-09 and no you can't. The SR-2 is larger than ATX / E-ATX. They call it HPTX. Basically it's XL-ATX.

Well, just F that then. :)
I've grown tired of the size of my case and I can't imagine needing an even larger case.

Yeah, but those outdated sockets actually have chips that allow you to overclock. The 2011 Xeons, not so much.

I wouldn't want to invest that much in outdated technology, regardless of how it overclocks. You'll be able to get more cores, more memory bandwidth, newer chipsets, etc. Honestly, I don't see the appeal of this board anymore. Not at this price anyway.

EVGA desperately trying to unload their uncompetitive dated boards. I wonder who build them for them ECS? Asus? either way there are $130 extreme clocking boards from the majors so you're essentially tossing $400 in the trash.

EVGA desperately trying to unload their uncompetitive dated boards. I wonder who build them for them ECS? Asus? either way there are $130 extreme clocking boards from the majors so you're essentially tossing $400 in the trash.

EVGA boards are built by Foxconn. Like everyone else's. The catch is, Foxconn builds whatever your specifications say to build. So if you hand Foxconn a shitty design you end up with 680i SLI reference boards. If you give them solid designs you end up with a DX79SI or whatever. Foxconn literally builds motherboards and motherboard components for virtually everyone. Most companies, do not make their own PCB's. ECS being one of the few that does. They used to make PCB's for ABIT back in the day. Foxconn builds complete boards as well. Intel and EVGA being two companies that pretty much rely on Foxconn for everything aside from the design aspect of the process. Even ASUS uses Foxconn.

Back