Evga GTX 660 or GTX 760?

PNWSGM

Weaksauce
I'm looking to upgrade my shitty GTS450 to something with a little more punch. Recently got a job at best buy an get some pretty sweet discounts on anything we have. I saw these two cards on our shelves and know that I've been recommended the 660 on here before but wanted to explore options.

I'm really leaning towards the 760, however my power supply only has 24A on the 12v rails. I see on some 760 (on newegg) that they require 30A on the 12v rails but not all of them mention that.

My system specs are:
i7 3770 ivy
16gb of ripjawz x series
Msi z77a-g43
Seasonic m12II 620w bronze

Thanks for the help.

+3.3V@24A, +5V@24A, +12V1@24A, +12V2@24A, [email protected], [email protected]

You have two 12v rails. So you total 48amps which is plenty for even a more demanding card than the 760. You have a very powerful p/s

Check newegg prices on cards and compare what your deals are.

Is there another card you would recommend? We can basically get our hands on anything that newegg can.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion!

It depends on how big your monitor is you have now or wanting to upgrade to later. You can't go wrong with a 760. I would stay away from the vanilla 660 just because you are getting a good deal you say and might as well enjoy the kick from the 760.

But if cash is a concern the 660 is a fine card under $200 on newegg now. I think they are $189.

I seen Best Buy selling 660 ti for $250 now which is the price of a 760 on newegg. 660ti is a little slower than a 760 and pretty much EOL shortly.

I have the asus vs239h-p monitor. Probably won't get away from it til it craps out, but I have hooked my computer up to my 55inch tv in the past.

I have the asus vs239h-p monitor. Probably won't get away from it til it craps out, but I have hooked my computer up to my 55inch tv in the past.

760 will run that monitor real nice.

yes the 760 will be an excellent choice for you and over 3 times faster than your current card.

660 Ti at $200, which is what I paid for my 3GB Asus, but not at $250.

Can you get a good deal on 760 4GB?

660 Ti at $200, which is what I paid for my 3GB Asus, but not at $250.

Can you get a good deal on 760 4GB?

You must have got one helluva deal because I haven't seen just a stock 660 Ti go for under $250, let alone they only recently started dropping after the GTX 760 came out which was basically the 660 Ti and even still are cheaper than more 660 Ti's when they are almost carbon copies of one another.

I have a 660 and I can say for the < $200 I paid for it, it was well worth the money. Huge improvement over my ancient GTX 260, which I'm going to say your GTS450 is somewhere near the same ballpark performance wise. You can't go wrong on that choice, but here is the catch. Ones it starts falling behind in performance and with newer games (definitely starting next year), the settings will have to be lowered. With most current games it's fantastic. The GTX 760 will give you a little bit more breathing room and the flip side to that is that it's basically a GTX 660 Ti in disguise, you will have a huge overclocking headroom. I'm not a big tweaker, but I like to do a couple dozen Mhz on the Core if I can and you can easily OC the memory a couple hundred Mhz. It'll be closer to a GTX 670 or higher having done so on a GTX 760 and it'll cost you about $150 less for that performance gain.

Final thought:

If you can afford it - GTX 760 no question.

If you can't afford it or want to save about $50-70 - GTX 660

At this time I don't think you can go wrong, but in a year the GTX 760 definitely wont be wrong with a mild OC.

You must have got one helluva deal because I haven't seen just a stock 660 Ti go for under $250, let alone they only recently started dropping after the GTX 760 came out which was basically the 660 Ti and even still are cheaper than more 660 Ti's when they are almost carbon copies of one another.

I have a 660 and I can say for the < $200 I paid for it, it was well worth the money. Huge improvement over my ancient GTX 260, which I'm going to say your GTS450 is somewhere near the same ballpark performance wise. You can't go wrong on that choice, but here is the catch. Ones it starts falling behind in performance and with newer games (definitely starting next year), the settings will have to be lowered. With most current games it's fantastic. The GTX 760 will give you a little bit more breathing room and the flip side to that is that it's basically a GTX 660 Ti in disguise, you will have a huge overclocking headroom. I'm not a big tweaker, but I like to do a couple dozen Mhz on the Core if I can and you can easily OC the memory a couple hundred Mhz. It'll be closer to a GTX 670 or higher having done so on a GTX 760 and it'll cost you about $150 less for that performance gain.

Final thought:

If you can afford it - GTX 760 no question.

If you can't afford it or want to save about $50-70 - GTX 660

At this time I don't think you can go wrong, but in a year the GTX 760 definitely wont be wrong with a mild OC.
yeah there have been very few deals but I paid just 230 bucks a year ago for my gtx660 ti plus it came with AC 3 which I sold. and it has an excellent non reference cooler thats nearly dead silent and keeps the card in the 60s.

Regular gtx 660's are going cheap right now. I just sold mine for $125 shipped. I imagine you can find another for around the same price here on the forum. If you have the money though and want to have a little boost, then by all means go with the 760. If money is an issue the 660 is no slouch by any means.

It also depends on what kind of games you're going to be playing, though you'll probably even notice a difference in Minesweeper when upgrading from a GTS 450. :p

I would go with the GTX760 if possible. Check newegg and Amazon. Even with a discount they might be cheaper than Best Buy.

Back