EVGA GeForce GT 740 fan sounds like a jet engine!

beowulf7

[H]F Junkie
I upgraded my HTPC's video card from an old Power Cooler 6450 to this EVGA GeForce GT 740 2GB. Swapping out the 2 video cards and installing the low profile adapter was simple. But once I fired up my computer, the video card's fan was very audible, I joke it's like a jet engine! It's much louder than the CPU and case fans, which wasn't the case with my old 6450. And even after being fully booted up, the fan never goes back to reasonable sound. How can the fan speed be adjusted so that it's not spinning at warp speed all the time? Is there a 3rd party app I need to manually override the fan speed setting? I have the latest driver and the computer itself is very old (2009) but I put a fresh copy of Windows 7 on it (also upgraded the drive from HDD to SSD). TIA.

well, that's the issue with low end cards and those uber tiny single fan configuration. they tend to be loud and work at a very high RPM.. you may, and just may be able to adjust the RPM fan curve with their own EVGA's precision software or the almighty MSI Afterburner.. I say "May" because because I see the card use just 2 Pin fan connector and not a typical 4Pin PWM so I think the card isn't even reporting the fan RPM and may be just adjusting it by voltage. just check with any of those programs.

Perhaps it is not the video card that is loud, but the jet engine that is quiet. - Confucius

well, that's the issue with low end cards and those uber tiny single fan configuration. they tend to be loud and work at a very high RPM.. you may, and just may be able to adjust the RPM fan curve with their own EVGA's precision software or the almighty MSI Afterburner.. I say "May" because because I see the card use just 2 Pin fan connector and not a typical 4Pin PWM so I think the card isn't even reporting the fan RPM and may be just adjusting it by voltage. just check with any of those programs.
Thanks, i downloaded and installed the EVGA tool you mentioned. I told it to use the quiet fan profile (instead of aggressive), but it's still loud. I wonder if it's something with the computer's BIOS that doesn't recognize the fan speed setting and by default has it set to max? I don't know what else it could be. When I was playing with that EVGA tool to mess around with the fan speed, I didn't hear any change whether I moved it all the way down or up. :confused:

well as I said I suspected that behavior of the card, because it only use 2 pin fan.. so power + ground no way to report RPM nor PWM control..

The other option would be to try with MSI afterburner and select a customized fan curve..

well as I said I suspected that behavior of the card, because it only use 2 pin fan.. so power + ground no way to report RPM nor PWM control..

The other option would be to try with MSI afterburner and select a customized fan curve..
Thanks, I'll try the MSI program later today. From the reviews I read on Newegg, people were saying it's relatively quiet, so I was surprised the fan is so loud. Definitely much louder than the 6450 I had before.

On the plus side, my Windows Experience Index scoring for graphics went up by over a full point.

Thanks, I'll try the MSI program later today. From the reviews I read on Newegg, people were saying it's relatively quiet, so I was surprised the fan is so loud. Definitely much louder than the 6450 I had before.

On the plus side, my Windows Experience Index scoring for graphics went up by over a full point.

I wouldn't take seriously any WEI scoring. Passmark Performance test work good to give a overall system score.

I wouldn't take seriously any WEI scoring. Passmark Performance test work good to give a overall system score.
True, but it's a decent rough ballpark figures.

I do have 3DMark that I bought on Steam a while back and will run that the next time I fire up the HTPC. I ran it on the 6450 a couple years ago and will try to find those results so I can compare the difference.

I used that program on my main (gaming) PC, the one I'm currently using. I upgraded that from an AMD 7770 to a GTX 770 (Asus branded) and the 3DMark results showed remarkable improvement. :cool: BTW, the video card on my gaming PC sounds just fine. I should probably try out the MSI or EVGA tool you mentioned.

I used an 80mm Scythe Kama Flex fan on a loud MSI GT 640 and now my machine is much quieter. I used long bolts to screw it into the heatsink.

I used an 80mm Scythe Kama Flex fan on a loud MSI GT 640 and now my machine is much quieter. I used long bolts to screw it into the heatsink.
I was hoping I didn't have to do any hardware modding of the video card.

I tried MSI Afterburner that Araxie suggested but playing with its fan speed also doesn't affect the fan speed's sound on my PC. Damn.

I was hoping I didn't have to do any hardware modding of the video card.

I tried MSI Afterburner that Araxie suggested but playing with its fan speed also doesn't affect the fan speed's sound on my PC. Damn.

I forgot to add I simply took off the original fan and kept the original heatsink on. Only the fan was switched so in essence, it's still the same video card.

I forgot to add I simply took off the original fan and kept the original heatsink on. Only the fan was switched so in essence, it's still the same video card.
OK, thanks. I'll see how much I can put up with it before I do any hardware (i.e. fan mods) to it. The video card itself is performing well and I'll run a 3D Marks test on it via my Steam account after I return from vacation.

Back