EVGA 8800GT Fan Noise

Killdozer

[H]ard|Gawd
This has probably been covered already but since search is disabled I had to make a new thread about this.
I recently bought an EVGA 8800GT from a B&M store last night, and the first thing I noticed when I powered up my system is that the fan sounds like a drowning duck, vaccum cleaner, diesel boat engine. It's louder than my X1900XTX @ 100%, and it gurgles and whines to different fan speeds when just idling at about 60C. I'm pretty sure something is wrong because it sounds exactly like my friends 7800GT after about a year and when I started tapping the heat shield on my 8800GT the horrible sounds went away and started sounding like a normal videocard fan. Should I RMA it or just try and return it to the store and hope they have another in stock?

The first batch of the gt coolers was the smaller 65mm cooler the new ones are 75 i think and produces less noise, yeah it sucks the first one i dont know what the hell they were thinking giving such crap cooler.. go rma its not normal. Heres a link so you can see the difference..

http://en.expreview.com/?p=78

When I opened the package I could tell that it had the larger cooler.

But keep in mind, it's not only that it's loud, it sounds like a wounded animal drowing underwater and the fan chugs along and randomly speeds up a bit and then slows down a few times in a few seconds. It's like the fan bearings are bad. I'll try to get it replaced tonight but that just depends if they have another in stock.

Back