EVGA 600W 80+ psu $29.99 at BB no rebates

JNavy89GT

[H]ard|Gawd
I picked up 2 myself, one for a cheap build and another for a spare. Not the best but for the $ hard to beat. I usually talk myself into higher end models, but this will be for a rarely used pc and it's hard to justify a gold/platinum $100+ unit for a build like that. Plus it will have a lower end gpu and not a high clocked cpu so I think for that purpose it should do. Thoughts?
Got this off of slick deals
EVGA - 80 PLUS 600W ATX 12V/EPS 12V Power Supply - Black

The EVGA is a fairly mediocre unit even given the $30 price from Best Buy (it seems to go on sale for this price every month or two), but honestly this is a better deal for $5 more:

SEASONIC 650W ATX12V V2.31 EPS12V V2.92 ACTIVE FPC F3 PSU POWER SUPPLY SS-650HT

That's a SEASONIC SS-650HT 650w OEM PSU for $35 with free shipping. They're pulls from brand new systems and every one I have bought has worked great and shown no signs of being used.

I guarantee you that Seasonic is going to put out cleaner power and be good for every bit of it's rated 650 watts. The EVGA? Not even close.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The EVGA is a fairly mediocre unit even given the $30 price from Best Buy (it seems to go on sale for this price every month or two), but honestly this is a better deal for $5 more:

That's a SEASONIC SS-650HT 650w OEM PSU for $35 with free shipping. They're pulls from brand new systems and every one I have bought has worked great and shown no signs of being used.

I guarantee you that Seasonic is going to put out cleaner power and be good for every bit of it's rated 650 watts. The EVGA? Not even close.

+1 Ordered two of those last month. Both working great, even tested my 980ti with one and had no problems.

I bought one last sale, works great with a power hungry FX 8320 and gtx 960. Bought it for my backup rig. Always a good idea to have a spare laying around at this price.

I put one in my 24/7 file server and it was fine. I sold it to my nephew because he needed something right away.

Is the above the same as this (same model number?)

SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT 650W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Its tough to tell from the ebay pictures what types of connections are available on it.

Is the above the same as this (same model number?)

SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT 650W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Its tough to tell from the ebay pictures what types of connections are available on it.

Internally they're exactly the same, but the one you linked is the flashier retail version so it has an anodized black finish and sleeved cables. A more direct comparison would be:

Seasonic SS-650HT 80 Plus Bronze Certified 650W Active PFC ATX12V (v2.2) Power Supply 12cm Double Ball Bearing Series - Newegg.com

I believe it has 2 8-pin PCIE, 2 6-pin PCIE, and then like 4 SATA and 4 standard 4-pin molex connectors. And of course your standard 20+4-pin ATX and 8-pin (4x2) EPS power connectors...

I'll go pull one out of my stash in the garage here in a bit and verify.

I bought three of them on my last order, and two different family members also bought one from the same seller. Hell of a deal.

If you check their online Ebay store they have several other models of varying wattage and price, most of them Seasonic branded.

Internally they're exactly the same, but the one you linked is the flashier retail version so it has an anodized black finish and sleeved cables. A more direct comparison would be:

Seasonic SS-650HT 80 Plus Bronze Certified 650W Active PFC ATX12V (v2.2) Power Supply 12cm Double Ball Bearing Series - Newegg.com

I believe it has 2 8-pin PCIE, 2 6-pin PCIE, and then like 4 SATA and 4 standard 4-pin molex connectors. And of course your standard 20+4-pin ATX and 8-pin (4x2) EPS power connectors...

Sounds good, thanks!

Yup.

I had one start clicking under gamin loadon my sig rig. Looked decent and was cheap, but it lasted as well as a cheapo would.

And to the OP, I'm not knocking your deal at all! In fact last time the deal came up I actually bought two of them! Then someone pointed me to the Ebay deal on the Seasonic and I ended up buying three more of THOSE. :D So yeah I'm oozing PSUs right now.

I actually recently used one of the 600w EVGA units in a family member rebuild. They're definitely 'ok' for $30, but I wouldn't rely on them for a power hungry build - they're based on a really really ancient Compucase (HEC) design and use some pretty bottom shelf component choices. Lightweight, flimsy and flexible, but decent for your average web browsing or light gaming build.

ok lol, got one of the seasonics. Will probably return one or both of the EVGAs then
thx

Which makes it more funny since they brand these 600W units as being "SLI ready"....yet there's no way they'll ever actually fail to hard click off IRL in such a scenario.

Depends on what you're going to SLI. I'd have no problem using this with something like a pair of GTX 960s, but I'd have some hesitation about anything more power hungry.

From what I've seen this PSU is internally identical to the 'bronze' version that [H]ardOCP reviewed here, but it lacks some extra flair like the nicer fan grille and component selection (like the all Japanese caps).

In the old days I'd have compared this to something from FSP/Sparkle... it's ok for a low end gaming rig or general usage PC in a pinch, but I wouldn't push it. :D

How would these Seasonics be for an older i7-920 system with 6gb ram, one hdd, and a PowerColor Radeon 6950 2gb card?

How would these Seasonics be for an older i7-920 system with 6gb ram, one hdd, and a PowerColor Radeon 6950 2gb card?

Should be just fine although it should be noted that the i7-920 is pretty power hungry at a 130w TDP, if you ever plan to drop in another card for crossfire and stack on some overclocking things could get pretty demanding.

Back