EVGA 3080ti XC3 Ultra Core Clock Issue

Fritzz

[H]ard|Gawd
My EVGA 3080ti XC3 Ultra is no longer boosting up to normal clock frequencies. No matter the game, benchmark, stress test, the gpu clock stays at 210MHz. Within Precision or MSI Afterburner I can manually apply a 1000MHz "Overclock" and the core clock will go up to 1200MHz. Also the memory is reporting a speed of 9502MHz in both MSI and Precision. When I look at it in GPU-Z a more realistic 1187.7MHz shows, but the core clock is still reporting 210MHz unless I manually apply an over clock to the GPU.

I am on the latest version of Windows 11 and have installed the latest NVIDIA drivers. I tried a DDU uninstall of the NVIDIA drivers with a new install of the latest NVIDIA drivers and still have the same issue. My card is liquid cooled, using an EK Vector 2 with active backplate. The card was working fine after the install of the waterblock, but has only recently started with the new behavior.

I will be rolling back the NVIDIA drivers a couple of versions to see if that helps, but I am looking for any insight on what to do next. A ticket has been submitted with EVGA.

System Specs:
CPU: Intel 13700K
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming
GPU: EVGA 3080ti XC3 Ultra - 12G-P5-3955-KR
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2 x 16GB) RAM DDR5 6600
PSU: CORSAIR RM850X
Operating System: Windows 11

Shot of Precision and GPU-Z
EVGA 3080ti.jpg

3dMark run I did on 6/16/23, showing normal clock and memory speeds:
3DMark.jpg

maybe bios but if i'm not mistaken that's usually a sign the cards dunzo since it's not coming out of 2D clock mode(assuming it was working in w11 before this happened).

Unfortunately this seems like a RMA might be necessary. Because it's in a loop you can't easily remove and test on another system. From your testing a driver issue has pretty much been ruled out.

maybe bios but if i'm not mistaken that's usually a sign the cards dunzo since it's not coming out of 2D clock mode(assuming it was working in w11 before this happened).
Yes it was working in Windows 11 before. This is a new build that's been together for about a month now and it was a fresh install of Win 11.

Unfortunately this seems like a RMA might be necessary. Because it's in a loop you can't easily remove and test on another system. From your testing a driver issue has pretty much been ruled out.
Unless there's something with the newest drivers causing the issue, but I would imagine there would be more people asking about it.

The memory clock is correct at 9500mhz (19gbps effective gddr6X). The core isn't, obviously. Have you tried prefer maximum performance in the Nvidia control panel? Have you tried a different driver set? Did you change anything between now and when it worked a few days ago?

The memory clock is correct at 9500mhz (19gbps effective gddr6X). The core isn't, obviously. Have you tried prefer maximum performance in the Nvidia control panel? Have you tried a different driver set? Did you change anything between now and when it worked a few days ago?

Guess I didn't understand there's a calculation to get the 9500MHz. I looked but cant find how those numbers are the same "9500mhz and 19gbps effective gddr6X" So if someone has something that would be great.
Nevermind, I found the calculations and get it now. Link for anyone else that wants to know.

Different driver set? I am assuming you are meaning different versions of the NVIDIA drivers. I have updated them recently. I first went to 535.98, since it was optimized for Diablo 4 and most recently moved up to 536.23.

That's about all that's changed apart from some standard windows updates.

Last edited:
Well I officially deserve the title of PEBCAK. I feel like the biggest dummy.....

As you can clearly see in the pictures, the power and temp sliders are all the way to the left. Thus severely hampering my GPU..... Turned them all the way back up and viola, get my highest score in Time Spy(19977).....

I feel so dumb right now...

Thanks for the thoughts though folks!

Glad to hear you figured it out! I replied from my phone so I didn't see the pic.

Better that than having to swap back to oem cooler and rma. I would happily eat that humble pie.

Back