Everything You Need to Know About China's Ambitious Space Plans

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Over at Wired, they've put together a great story about the future of the Chinese space program and where they want to be by 2030. I believe, just as the author of this story believes, that China is going to be a major power in space in the next decade or so and they will definitely be a tough competitor for space resources or an excellent partner to work with in space. How do you say "One small step for billions of Chinese" in Mandarin?

One of China’s nearest goals is the plan to land a rover on the dark side of the Moon in 2018. China’s Chang’e 4 mission is the next in line after Chang’e 3, which saw the popular Jade Rabbit lunar rover named after the Chinese Moon goddess. The plan is to study the geology of the Moon’s far side.

I'm only interested if they give their equipment silly names.

Mr. Probe found a new hole today...pomemon remain elusive

Good for them. The US has made clear that it will not give space exploration the funding it needs, happy to see that other countries will.

Good for them. The US has made clear that it will not give space exploration the funding it needs, happy to see that other countries will.
Until someone convinces the government china will use space for war. WAR always seems to get the US Gov in gear. I can see it now. We need new upgrades for the 1.5 Trillion dollar F-35 Joint Strike Fighter with another 1.5 Trillion tacked on for Star Wars addons. Maybe Disney will let them use the star wars name if the government allows Disney to have sole ownership (with exception of the government) of the name "SEAL TEAM 6"
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2011/may/26/disney-withdraws-seal-team-6-trademark-application

Reactions: ole-m
like this
One of China’s nearest goals is the plan to land a rover on the dark side of the Moon in 2018. China’s Chang’e 4 mission is the next in line after Chang’e 3, which saw the popular Jade Rabbit lunar rover named after the Chinese Moon goddess. The plan is to study the geology of the Moon’s far side.

I guess since Wired is a computer oriented magazine I will let it slip a little, but it really irks me when people talk about the "dark side of the Moon" referring to the side that faces away from the Earth. To their credit they did use the correct term two sentences later.

China just brought online the largest radio telescope in the world, at least twice as large and the one at Aericebo. Just like every other thing they decide to do, they go all out, maybe not with the highest quality, though they are more than capable of very high quality. If we don't get back in the race, we will be just as out of the game with space as we are with manufacturing now. I really hope things like this spark the rest of the world to put more effort into getting back into space and eventually commercializing it.

This is all possible unless China experiences a deep recession from a collapse of it's banking system...

Back