EU's new regulation requires replaceable batteries in smartphones

Love the idea but knowing manufacture's they will figure out a way to make it only allow official batteries and charge insane amounts for them.
$800 phone, replacement battery $400

Hey, if we can at least take the battery out and put it back in, that will help a lot with phones with flakey power control. I had a nice phone I had to stop using because sometimes the power management would stop working, and you couldn't turn it on until you let the battery run all the way down, and it doesn't use much battery when the phone is pretty much off.

I would really love this. I'm pretty impressed with some of the legislation that they are pushing forward with. This, forcing apple to use USB-C, attempting to reign-in app-store monopolies and closed app eco-systems, etc. I wish we saw more of this in the US house/senate.

The best phone I ever had (relative to it's era) was my old Samsung Galaxy Note 2, which I used from 2012-2017. It had a back that you could remove easily, and a battery that was designed to be removable. For most of the time that I had the phone, I used it with a ZeroLemon Battery case. This was a huge battery that was like 3 times the size of the stock battery, combined with a special case that would fit the bigger battery and allow usage without the rear cover of the phone. ZeroLemon still makes these battery cases, but since most phones don't have removable batteries anymore, they are basically just USB external batteries that are built into your case. That's less than ideal since it doesn't replace the stock battery, and will keep your internal battery at max charge most of the time, actually making it die faster (even if you enable battery protection, full charge is still above ideal storage voltage).

I have just "upgraded" from Samsung note 4 to Motorola G51 5G as it was on sale at 999 kr cheaper than Aliexpress :)

I think the battery and other cheap parts I found on a site in Holland was original as Louis Anthony Rossmann has been recommending Motorola in the past. It might have changed though.

I can later use it for audio books as i lisent to them about 4.5 Hours a day. I use a Lenove 8" tablet now, but it is not easy to hold for me.

Can't even begin to imagine how my Galaxy Fold 4 would look with a battery door considering the battery is split in two and one half of the phone basically has screen on the front and back so would be completely impossible unless the battey got moved to the other side of the phone entirely.

Can't even begin to imagine how my Galaxy Fold 4 would look with a battery door considering the battery is split in two and one half of the phone basically has screen on the front and back so would be completely impossible unless the battey got moved to the other side of the phone entirely.
I was thinking about the same sorts of things.

Apple has semi-standardized its own ones, but really almost every year it’s a different battery. The iPhone X actually had an “L” shaped battery to take up all the internal space and fill in as well as max out battery life in those size constraints.

For non-flagship phones, I think little will be affected. For phones pushing the boundaries it will be limiting.

Last edited:
They just have to engineer it better. Was actually pulling out some old phones with removable batteries and sometimes I couldn't tell how to remove the battery because it was so tightly put together.

Back