Ethernet Over Power adapters, ????

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I know nothing about these but think I could possibly use one of these to solve my networking problem.
I live in a small apartment building (19 units). I am trying to get internet to my friends apartment. Using a normal router the connection is very unreliable. Can I get one of these Ethernet Over Powerline adapters to get a solid connection to there apartment?
Which adapter should I get? The Trendnet AV500 kit is one of the cheaper ones would it suffice?
Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Depends how far, and if they're on the same circuit from the building entrance.

Long story short, not too likely to be reliable or even work.

I have a newish house (11 years old) and these power adapter things are still pretty poor.

There is no way they will work because all apartments have their own breakers and are independent of any other unit. Your best bet is to get powerful ap radios, or tell your friend to purchase his internet connection.

Yeah I didn't consider that she is on the top floor on one end of the building and all the power meters are on the opposite end of the building. Probably wont work.
Guess I will just build a Cantenna and try that out.

not going to work with power adapters. do you have cable broadband? you might be able to use moca adapters if you both have spare coax jacks not being used. would just need to connect your spare coax jack with their spare coax jack at the junction box on the side of the apt building...you would need access to the coax wiring of the apt building tho. totally dependent on how the wiring was done for your apt complex.

Last edited:
Why not have your friend ask a neighbor that has wifi and toss some $$ their way? $10 for 1 computer a month or so. I would allow my neighbor on for $10.

Back