esxi datastore question

Putz

I have a custom title
I know 2tb is the max but heres the question, I have Four (4) 2tb Hitchi drives coming for an lsi controller I have id want to setup with Raid 10 which is going to end up with 4tb of space

will ESXi just make Two(2) 2tb datastores?

or should I make the raid 10 and use something like the acronis boot cd and make the partitions manually? I dont believe you can partition within the raid bios

You'll need to either a) make two separate 2TB LUNs or B) carve up that 4TB lun into partitions via gparted or something before trying to use them in ESXi.

egads :\

You're going to have to split the raid up into multiple LUNs. I am going to assume the LSI controller's setup utility will allow you to do this, although I don't 'think' I've ever used it... at least not LSI branded. A single LUN can only be 2TB - 512bytes. I'm going to assume the 4TB isn't exact, it is probably less with overhead, so what you would see without splitting is a 1.something TB volume out of your "close" to 4 TB... which would suck. I would setup ESXi on a thumb drive to make the raid setup a step less complicated.

well esxi is loaded on a spare ssd i have, the raid controller and 2tb drives will just be for vm storage datastores

was thinking i should be able to make the raid 10 and make a pair of partitions on with Acronis then let esxi have them and make them vmfs3 format i believe it would be

You are correct, you will need to carve LUNs out of that 4TB pool. Remember to make them 2TB minus 512Bytes (or smaller), Then just present the LUNs to ESXi.

You are correct, you will need to carve LUNs out of that 4TB pool. Remember to make them 2TB minus 512Bytes (or smaller), Then just present the LUNs to ESXi.

I created 3 2TB RAID6 arrays on my Highpoint 4310 controller. ESXi was able to see all three arrays as 1.82TB each.
I created a datastore on each.

Back